Pilipino Reservation Agents

I suppose none of the problems with lost/screwed up tickets/bookings ever took place when res was insourced?

I'm not an advocate of moving jobs off-shore, but when you take a job like being an agent, and turn it into a career position with an expectation of getting raises every couple years, you're going to end up pricing yourselves out of the market at some point.

I started out as an agent, and it scared the hell out of me to think that I'd have to do that job day in and day out for 10-20 years. And at least a dozen people out of thirty in my training class are still working as agents today... On a good day, it's no more challenging than being a cashier at Home Depot, and on a bad day, I'd rather be at Home Depot...

Former ModerAAtor said:
I suppose none of the problems with lost/screwed up tickets/bookings ever took place when res was insourced?

[post="285394"][/post]​

I never said that and yes, things did happen. BUT, not to the extent, bizarre explanations and scenarios coming out of Manila and Mexico City (or whereever they are located.) Why dont you ask the 500+ rez agents who are now gone from PIT. Clearly, some of them with 25+ years felt they'd rather be at US than Home Depot and they must have been doing a decent job all these years?
Also, everyone talks about the "high seniority" of US rez and airport agents. Once we're topped out (12 years or so) everyone is done getting raises. The years of experience after 12 ARENT costing the company more each year from a pay perspective. Actually, with all the pay cuts, they getting a bargain in $ spent for years of experience in recent years, IMO.
The scenarios I've mentioned are but * 3 * that have happened from rez over a 2 day period. Add that to the number systemwide each day and...... :unsure:

PineyBob said:
Well Mr AA never misses a chance to throw a rock at US so what did you expect.
[post="285439"][/post]​

Hey Pinesol breath, did you actually read my post, or are you just so protective of your employee friends that you assume I'm just another AA'er out clubbing baby seals?

Nowhere did I throw a rock at US specifically, nor did I say I support offshoring. In fact, I said I don't support it at all.

tadjr said:
Once we're topped out (12 years or so) everyone is done getting raises. The years of experience after 12 ARENT costing the company more each year from a pay perspective.

I'm not by any means advocating dumping senior agents simply because they cost more, but experience most definitely comes at a cost, and it's an actuarial fact that as employees get older, the average cost per insurance claim goes up. So you're correct it's not an incremental cost on a pay perspective alone, but if you include health care benefits alone, it does cost the company more each year.

diogenes said:
Who's going to make ends meet during re-invention?

The folks I know in that scenario are cashing in their 401k's (there goes retirement; now they'll work 'til they die), or taking out second mortgages (have to work til you die to pay that off), and talking to their kids about community college (so much for generational upward mobility). And going bareback on insurance. All of this in a mad scramble to pay to upgrade their education (not much in the way of assistance;they made too much money to qualify).

In short, the destruction of the American Dream for many hard-working, honest folks.

Maybe, it's not so easy.

And After all, a strict interpretation of the Constitution instructs Congress to "...promote the general welfare."
[post="285139"][/post]​
Well, it's all about risk and return. If you are unwilling to risk some present cash on improving yourself for the future, you can't blame your lean tomorrows on anyone but yourself. The Declaration of Independence says "All men are created equal".

What happens after creation is up to you.

It's one thing to 'risk some present cash' (reasonable), and bet the farm (not reasonable).

Just curious. What jobs are going to be available in the near term, once we retool ourselves?

Are these new jobs going to replace the buying power of the old jobs?

Perhaps not.

http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/JDNewsArchi...%20Duh!.txt

I hope the laissez-faire crowd is right (they haven't been, so far), and everything will be ok.

But I am not sanguine, nor alone in my concerns.

http://mensnewsdaily.com/blog/2005/07/ukus...g-liquidity.htm

trvlr64 said:
Filipino..........but when you speak to someone from the Philippines
that say PILIPINO! I worked with a few. Always made me chuckle.
Here's the dictionary description.......

[post="285065"][/post]​

I've been living with a Manila-born/raised Filipino for over 7 years.

I've NEVER heard "Pilipino" from him or any our dozens of Philippine-born family and friends.

luvn737s said:
What happens after creation is up to you.
[post="285492"][/post]​

That would require me to believe the kids of the poorest 10 families in America have as good a chance to be President, or CEO, as the kids of the richest 10 families.

I can't make that leap of faith.

Understand - I am not interested in equal outcomes (bad science to start with, and a loser political theory) - we don't watch football and root for a tie.

I am interested in an equity of opportunities, and I believe the same utilitarian case that is made for capitalism can be made for equal opportunity.

The most efficient match of resources (capital in the first case; education in the second) to users, that results in the greatest gain.

PineyBob said:
Just to further prove a point I call your attention to the following article regarding high wages in a low margin industry and how it can work with a well managed company.

How Costco Became the Anti-Walmart
[post="285609"][/post]​

Exactly, and one need look no further than WN to see the same dynamic at work in our neck of the woods.

It can be done, but it is difficult.

Frankly, there is not enough talent in the executive pool to do the difficult thing successfully, so they take the easy way out, as seen at U.

And perversely, are rewarded for it.

"By any means necessary", I assume is their attitude.

It comes around, though.

diogenes said:
That would require me to believe the kids of the poorest 10 families in America have as good a chance to be President, or CEO, as the kids of the richest 10 families.

[post="285612"][/post]​
Barring any legistlation that prevented poor people from succeeding, I would say they have exactly the same chance. Prior to the Voting Rights Act of 1964 what you say might have some merit.

Also, I think if you look at data comparing the increase in wealth of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations of America's wealthiest families you would be surprised. The rich generally don't get appreciably richer. In fact do to laziness, they generally do far worse in terms of wealth appreciation than do the orginal Patriarcs of wealth.

But there are those out there that make their life's mission to continue to beat the drum that the poor are destined to fail because the "rich" have taken all the money and the nation's wealth has been unfairly distributed; that whole "life's lottery" crap.

I will agree that school funding should not be based on local school districts' property taxes. The state should allocate the money uniformly based on enrollment. However, in the abscenece of such a funding plan, I support a parent's right to send their student to an alternative school and recieve a voucher/tax credit to do so.

I am a unit manager for US Airways here in Manila Philippines. I don't blame you guys for feeling that way, but what I do not appreciate is that your emotions leads to racism. Please do not blame us if your company outsources here, we never invited them to do so, they came to us.

I know that there have been some issues with regards to the quality of service we provide, well it all starts with the terrible training that US Airways gives us. One trainer or officer says different from the other, so how'd you guys expect us to deliver quality service if your people cannot give us quality training???

For your information, terrorism here are just rumors and are very isolated. It is true that there are Filipino terrorists...like you don't have American terrorists right?
Terrorism is a problem for both of our nations, but concerning casual violence, we don't have gangsters here that would pull a gun in your head at broad daylight like what you experience there. So I hope that you do more research before saying things.

Has anyone here been to the Philippines to say that our poverty is like what you say it is? We have high class people here, middle class, who does not have overdue credit card bills, who does not wait for tax return to pay for their bills, who does not refinance their homes (it's never a practice here) because of their debts, who does not apply for bankruptcy, who does not have medical benefits from the government but survives, who rarely use their credit cards because they are able to pay cash, who can live without credit cards. Now...who's really into the poverty level here?

"unit manager for US Airways here in Manila Philippines"

You are full of !^#@!. You are a "board" former employee from CCY, with nothing to do but play on this board since Doug cut you looooose.

Don't wanna be an American idiot.
Don't want a nation that under the new media.
And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mind**** America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alien nation.
Everything isn't meant to be okay.
Television dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
Convincing them to walk you.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia