Pit Heavy Is Doomed

justaumechanic

Veteran
Dec 15, 2003
Here is the latest. The Director of Pit Base Maintenance has had his titled changed to Director of Maintenance Northeast Region. Basically that means that his office moves over to RIDC park. No reason to have a Director of Base Maintnenace in PIT because there is going to be no Base Maintenance in PIT.

They are shutting down one of the Docks in Hangar 5 and management is in a big push to get the remaining two aircraft out of the hangar. Possibly tonight PIT base could get the TPA treatment.

PIT Stock room is Shipping anything and everything related to aircraft Maintenance to HMV which is the Alabama Operation of Mobile Aerospace. PHL and CLT are also shipping an extensive amount of material to HMV.

PIT Management has been holding Furloughed Stock Clerks to work shipping operations to HMV Alabama. Movement of aircraft parts are being monitored by the FBI in PIT.

The only thing being shipped to HMV is material to support the A330 S and C-Cehecks and the A320 S-Checks.

700UW said:
The only thing being shipped to HMV is material to support the A330 S and C-Cehecks and the A320 S-Checks.
[post="202799"][/post]​

Wrongo buddy.. Last night the stock room pulled the sheets for shipping from PIT to HMV.. 35 pages of everything that is not bolted down. Boeing, Airbus. You name it they are shipping it. The stuff out of PHL and CLT might be only Airbus but the stuff out of PIT, thats all Boeing.. PIT does not keep much Airbus material. We only do the C-11 on the A321 and a drop in now and again on the other Airbus Types.. Very limited stock of material for those aircraft.. No 35 pages generated over two days is Boeing Material.

Everyone in PIT is very clear about one thing.. Its not if anymore its when.

Last night the stock room pulled the sheets for shipping from PIT to HMV.. 35 pages of everything that is not bolted down. Boeing, Airbus. You name it they are shipping it.
hey guy...you had eyes on these documents or someone tell you in the lav??

speaking of doom and gloom
anyone realise if U gets a outsource agreed to in the 20-40% range you will only have an effective fleet of some 140 a/c to maintain in house. and then you'll only need about 4-5 hvy tracks....and guess where they have exactly 5 hvy tracks???CLT ...YOU GUESSED RIGHT...AND GUESS WHAT ELSE....
clt will build additional hangar space tomorrow....no local pols haggling for 2 years...tomorrow.....so kiss your donkey goodbye in PIT dude....

And the Director of PIT Base is basically VP of Maintenance without the title. When Hartzell retired they gave McMullen all the responsiblities of that position without the title.

And where was Hartzell's office?

Hmmm.... RIDC.

It so happens I will be at the SSB building and the hangers late this evening for a short period of time to see a foreman. If what you are saying does happen I will promptly return and update the world on the closing of PIT real time via of my foreman friend’s cell phone. It will be just like TPA went down as we all read about it real time. :rolleyes:

I heard this rumor last week and that is what it is.

I remember standing in hanger five several years back waiting for 6 o’clock when the place was supposed to shut the doors, even the foremen were convinced of that wild rumor. People are so full of gloom and doom that rumors come to life and become a wizard of oz.

It's less doom and gloom and more letting people know that the yellow break road appears to be heading to CLT....hint...all training is there with a MODERN facility...expansion of E terminal...two MODERN hangers in place...expanding runways, lower cost, a mayor (although not my fav) who wants to keep a hub in CLT despite the current drama, much nicer weather, and more centerally located on the east coast.

Now before you all get pissy with me, even though PHL has more O and D, that place is a mess with a mob-like mentality. These are guys that will do damage to anyone that disagrees with them. It's a pit and U should treat it as a focus city. Go to the cities that make money, but to hub it? That facility is horrible and most of the grounds people are uncooperative little mobsters who appear to watch too many Godfather movies and the show Sopranos. MANY, not all, of the folks there haven't learned that you can love your job and hate your employer, eliminating the childish need to dump luggage and mix it up, sending bags to the wrong cities, or just NOT sending them. In PIT, at least the work ethic is better...believe it or not, much like CLT.

Dumping PIT for PHL is going to come back to haunt US with the thousands we spent on the "Philly Factor" as opposed to the cost at the beautiful PIT airport and the ease to fly in and out of. Ask any customer the hubs of US they like and they will name PIT and CLT.....NEVER, EVER has a soul said PHL. Infact, most customer DESPISE connecting there. We contributed thousands to make that place a hub and modernize it and it looks as bad as it did before. Short of the new int'l terminal (give it time, it will look like s$$t soon as well), the place is a complete disgrace.

Why am I picking on PHL? Because while the hanger facilities suck at PIT, the terminal and runway ease is awesome. You really want our customers to face that sh!thole in PHL as what we offer? How many 2-5 hour atc delays come out of PIT as compared to PHL. CLT will get some because of the Atlanta factor but it seems unending in PHL. Talk about waisting money. Two hours to get to a gate or to be next in line for takeoff after about 20-50 a/c sit that long? Thats alot of lost money as compared to heading right to the gate in PIT or CLT.

I think the gloom and doom is more of a sad reality for those in PIT and it should be for the rest of us. I guess the only way for at least the pilots and f/a's to make up for their paycut is to just fly thru PHL. You'll be good for some extra time.

In closing, these are just my opinions.

Now if management only had a brain...we all know they have no heart...but they do have alot of nerve. :angry:

Big Big Big assumption on your part that they will be an airline.

When all those southern boys came up and pissed and moaned about how everyone was mean, well those mean bastards are coming your way so make room for a less than friendly bunch of very disgruntled guys.....IF there is a company left?

700UW said:
Hey 1st, there is no "F" terminal in CLT.

A, B, C, D and E.
[post="202820"][/post]​
The "F" there isn’t.... :lol:

This company is history, look into the eyes of the employees and see your future.

firstamendment said:
that place is a mess with a mob-like mentality. These are guys that will do damage to anyone that disagrees with them.

and most of the grounds people are uncooperative little mobsters who appear to watch too many Godfather movies and the show Sopranos.
[post="202819"][/post]​

Why haven't these mobsters been fired over the years?