Please Keep Boarding Passes Out of Your Mouth

Fear not. This is mostly government and media induced hysteria. My 17 year old son and I had the Swine Flu (He brought it home from high school.) and it was no worse than a very nasty cold. It is a very weak strain and the worst of it only lasts a few days. I guess the folks having issues with the Swine Flu, have other underlying medical problems. If you are healthy, it may be advisable to get it, before it mutates into something worse. I have had a lot worse bouts of standard seasonal flu.

Fear not. This is mostly government and media induced hysteria. My 17 year old son and I had the Swine Flu (He brought it home from high school.) and it was no worse than a very nasty cold. It is a very weak strain and the worst of it only lasts a few days. I guess the folks having issues with the Swine Flu, have other underlying medical problems. If you are healthy, it may be advisable to get it, before it mutates into something worse. I have had a lot worse bouts of standard seasonal flu.
My daughter had it too. She is in college and I brought her home. Neither my wife or I contracted it. Very mild and took about a week to run its course and another week to get back up to speed.

For some people this is to be taken very seriously. This was posted in my station about 3 weeks ago.

Medical Announcement- XXXX sister called to let us all know that he's been in the hospital for three weeks. He had the swine flu, but tested negative first, which turned into pneumonia, both lungs were infected, was put on life support and his organs started shutting down!
He is still in ICU at XXX and just the last two days they've said they think he's going to make it. We will keep you updated. (Since then he has been moved to another hospital and the last update I saw was that he was stable, but still in ICU).

Then the next day someone reported to OSHA...
On 10/09/2009, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) received a notice of health hazards at your worksite at: XXXX
The specific nature of the alleged hazard is as follows:
1. Employees are exposed to influenza due to the no fault sick company policy and swap policy; employees are coming to work instead of calling off sick. Possible violation of section 5 (a)(1).

The company did respond and I'll post a reply from them here as soon as I get someone to send it to me from work.

My daughter had it too. She is in college and I brought her home. Neither my wife or I contracted it. Very mild and took about a week to run its course and another week to get back up to speed.
And I’m sure the school allowed the student to makeup and had a policy and procedures in place that was student and parent and faculty friendly to ensure a positive outcome.

phx has hand sanitizers at each gate position and at the end of each loading bridge as well as at PAC, BSO, ticket counter locations

Must be nice. CLT management won't get hand sanitizer for us because back in the spring when they did, some people thought it was theirs to take home.

Must be nice. CLT management won't get hand sanitizer for us because back in the spring when they did, some people thought it was theirs to take home.

The sanitizer units in the CLT training center are permanently mounted to the wall. They should do this in CLT at each check-in podium. Of course, it wouldn't be cheap...so I doubt they would do it. At least individuals would be less likely to take the unit home.

Thanks for all the great advice and comments. I have done some online research, and have learned to keep my hands away from my nose and mouth at all times, wash my hands after boarding every flight, and walk away quickly if anyone coughs or sneezes within 3 feet of me. Still can't decide if I should get the H1N1 Shot when it is available. Best of luck keeping yourself healthy and well during these times. By all means, If you are Ill, stay home. Don't bring it to the airport and spread it around. Even thou I have 175 sick days, If I call in sick, I only get 2 hours pay, thanks to our sick pay policy. Hey 40 bucks is 40 bucks. Its almost as good as welfare.

Subject: Response to Complaint 207495326
Dear Mr. XXXXX:
On October 9, 2009, US Airways received a complaint from your office concerning our operations at the XXXXX International Airport. The specific nature of the alleged hazards is as follows: -

1. Employees are exposed to influenza due to the no fault sick company policy and
swap policy; employees are coming to work instead of calling off sick. Possible
violation of section 5(a)(1).

US Airways is committed to the safety, health and welfare of our employees. US Airways asks our employees to stay home if they are ill, so as not to spread their illness to others, and to promote rest and a speedy recovery of the ill employee. We have recently posted the attached CDC poster (8 Ways You Can Stay Healthy at Work) throughout the XXXXX location, as well as all other US Airways locations. US Airways is also working very closely with local management, and has advised management to• closely monitor employees in the workplace for any signs of the flu and recommend to ill .employees that they go home and/or seek advice from a Health Care Provider. Managers have also been advised to instruct employees to be certain that they are no longer infectious before returning to work, as well as to not pressure employees to come back before they should.

US Airways allows employees up to eighty hours of paid sick time annually. The Company has an attendance policy, which is directed at minimizing employee abuse of the generous amount of sick time available to each employee. If an employee is concerned about disciplinary action, or if an affected employee is already on disciplinary action for attendance which could trigger an adverse employment action, managers are instructed to contact their Human Resources Manager. Disciplinary action, if applicable, is determined on a case-by-case basis with local management, Human Resources, and Labor Relations. US Airways feels that this policy is fair and adequately protects our employees and customers.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need additional information.

FYI, Hand sanitizers are not effective against the H1N1 virus. Wash your hands and keep them away from your eyes, nose and mouth,

Latest posts