Purser(Lead) F/A on the A333?

az_wild727

Senior
Sep 13, 2005
PHX
Quick question.

On the A333 who is the purser on the flight? Is it an F/A from Coach(probably not), or from Envoy?

If from Envoy, is it the F/A working Galley #2(cooking) or the one working the left aisle seats A-B or the right aisle GH side(facing the front of the aircraft)?

Or maybe it's the F/A with the most seniority on the a/c?

Thanks.

Quick question.

On the A333 who is the purser on the flight? Is it an F/A from Coach(probably not), or from Envoy?

If from Envoy, is it the F/A working Galley #2(cooking) or the one working the left aisle seats A-B or the right aisle GH side(facing the front of the aircraft)?

Or maybe it's the F/A with the most seniority on the a/c?

Thanks.

Purser is in charge of the coach service, so AFT galley.

CSD (Cabin Service Director) is what I think you are asking and is responsible for the flight, they are in the Front Galley and work AC left (AB).

Being most senior has nothing really to do with who is CSD and Purser onboard other then among the FAs themselves.

Purser is in charge of the coach service, so AFT galley.

CSD (Cabin Service Director) is what I think you are asking and is responsible for the flight, they are in the Front Galley and work AC left (AB).

Being most senior has nothing really to do with who is CSD and Purser onboard other then among the FAs themselves.

Who is more 'superior' of the 2? Who is in 'control' of the entire plane?

The idea of a CSD is very helpful on an international flight, but what does a purser bring to a domestic flight other than doing what the "A" does? That said, if it enhances the image or perception of the customer, especially in a premium cabin, I say go for it.

The big question is whether or not they will get it right. Of course experience dictates that they will not, but I will remain somewhat optimistic. If staffing levels are kept too low to do an effective cabin service, and a CSD has to spend too much time filling in, would it prevent him or her from doing the extras expected of the lead position? What are the responsibilties of a purser or CSD on international? Or is the position being redefined for the new Envoy?

The timing of this topic is interesting as I am in China right now and experienced premium service at its best on the way over--of course it was not US, but a hint would be I went EWR-PEK. While still at the gate, a concierge came on board and greeted all the passengers up front by name, wished us a good flight and asked if we needed anything or had any questions. After the door closed, the CSD came around and introduced herself personally to each passenger in the BF cabin, and encouraged us to speak to her during the flight if we needed anything.

This is one long flight-it basically has 3 full meal services. The CSD helped out during the busy times but a key point was that the front cabin was more than adequately staffed--at least 6 FA's working the service and the CSD helping out and supervising as needed. She also spent a good part of the time in the back, and was accessible to every customer, not just those up front. I think that had they been short staffed, she would have been working a regular position, and might have been unable to offer the additional attention which might be needed if an unusual customer issue arose.

Overall, it was a great experience, and was enhanced by the person in the CSD position. If done right it can be great, but then again....who are we talking about here?

I do hope they have people fly other airlines up front to get an idea on how it SHOULD be done.

Oh and as a side note, a full 321 PEK-SHE had a full bev and snack service on a 45 minute flight, and this one was F U L L !.

My best to you all......

if we had a csd or purser program then there would be no need for a observation rider or an inflight coach program. in other airlines the "purser","csd(usairways),"ism"(continental), and others. these positions set the standard on how the inflight service is going to be delivered . no questions asked . they are interviewed on policies and procedures . they go through a vigorous training process. they are incharge of all the paper work onboard the a/c and they delegate to each f/a what there responsibilities are. people think that it's a breach of seniority if we introduce a program like this. i say that pure BS. just cause your senior to someone does not mean you know what you are doing.

if we had a csd or purser program then there would be no need for a observation rider or an inflight coach program. in other airlines the "purser","csd(usairways),"ism"(continental), and others.
Well why would US want to be like CO???? They are the leader in the industry. US is not a follower, just a laggard.