Recall Rights Extended

speaking of TWA and AA.

LINK: http://www.afanet.org/default.asp?id=965

CONGRESS PASSES TWO KEY
FLIGHT ATTENDANT PROVISIONS

Washington, DC – U.S. flight attendants benefited greatly from the omnibus bill passed by Congress this week due to two important provisions that were included. The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA-CWA) worked closely with several key Congressional leaders to ensure that SENIORITY PROTECTIONS for aviation employees and funding for a follow-up fatigue study were included in the comprehensive bill.

"Today is a victory not only for the 55,000 AFA-CWA flight attendants, but for flight attendants across the country," said Patricia Friend, AFA-CWA International President. "Thanks to our friends on the Hill, we now can prevent any flight attendant group from being forced to the bottom of a combined seniority list in the event their airline merges with another. We are also excited about the passage of funding for a comprehensive fatigue study. Flight attendant fatigue is a chronic problem in the aviation industry and it continues to jeopardize our ability to fulfill important safety and security roles."

If you have a way to take care of all the people all the time, we would love to hear your plan.

I don't have a plan but APFA does not seem to be very interested in taking care of its members. A lot of people had to put a lot of pressure on APFA to do anything at all.

I don't have a plan but APFA does not seem to be very interested in taking care of its members. A lot of people had to put a lot of pressure on APFA to do anything at all.
Well from the outside looking in it may look that way. They did make efforts, but were unwilling to open the contract to accept more concessions for it. I am not saying the union was right or wrong, but to say they did nothing is short of being factual.

This is the result of not only the Legislative efforts but the "selling" of outstanding grievance wins that AA had stonewalled on paying. Not to worry, they only affected the former TWA f/as so nobody else had to give up anything in addition to the already imposed sacrifices. This is a wonderful example of the "little engine that could". We refused to accept that there was nothing to be done. Given the tragic events of 9-11, this outcome is as it should be... AA could have avoided the Legislative interference by simply announcing the recall of all remaining f/as (to be scheduled into class as needed). They could have then begun the hiring process for new hires. I can assure you if the f/as recalled had not been doing such a good job this would have never happened. It is hard to refute base managers "gushing" over those recalled. Also hard to refute is the volume of "applause slips" being awarded. Some of this is explained by the "honeymoon" phase and some is explained by experience. It is hard to keep a good f/a down.

Celebrate because there are some wonderful people that will now have the CHOICE to either continue or end their careers on their own terms. Now if we can only convince AA to do a "paper" return to retirement for those who were not 50 at the time of the furlough. How silly is it to waste valuable training dollars and base headcount when the end result will be the same. Retirement. And no, we don't get YOUR retirement. We are credited with one year which comes out to $90 a month.

And most importantly, now is the time for ALL AA f/as to join the fight to extend recall to those who have already fallen of the list. 6000 or 1/4th of the AA f/as lost their jobs as a result of 9-11. All should have the choice to return. $600,000,000 (and growing) of shared sacrifice (in addition to that of the active membership) is more than enough reason for AA to do the "right thing".

I cant say it enough how much I respect the TWA F/As that are coming back on the line. I welcome them back with open arms and really enjoy getting to know each one I meet. And I agree that the recalled the F/As have made a name for themselves and have proven that recalling is better than hiring off the street. Experience is the way to go in todays airline business. I'll work side by side anyday !!!
For the pension issue... It is a defined plan and you must be part of the plan for many years to see the rewards....

Well from the outside looking in it may look that way. They did make efforts, but were unwilling to open the contract to accept more concessions for it. I am not saying the union was right or wrong, but to say they did nothing is short of being factual.

You are correct. They did take some actions. It would not have been necessary to open the contract, that was a smokescreen.

By AA or APFA?
Both.

The furloughed former TWA flight attendants had to picket their own union and enlist the help of a United States Senator to pressure both the company and the union to think outside the box.

Too bad that thousands of probationary AA and former TWA flight attendants junior to 1996, who had already fallen off the recall list, have been left out in the cold.

You are correct. They did take some actions. It would not have been necessary to open the contract, that was a smokescreen.
Once the contract is opened, which will be in this coming spring, everything will be on the table, including the small cost item of putting the falloffs back on the recall list.

And as you can see they did sign a letter of agreement extending recall rights 2 years without opening the contract. It was a smokescreen all the time. It was APFA who repeatedly said they were terrified that if they opened the contract they would end up giving concessions.

And as you can see they did sign a letter of agreement extending recall rights 2 years without opening the contract. It was a smokescreen all the time. It was APFA who repeatedly said they were terrified that if they opened the contract they would end up giving concessions.
I think APFA did exactly what the membership wanted them to do ... Leave the contract closed !!!! Can you just see what would have happened if they did open the contract up to extend recall rights and took concessions ???? The gain for some furloughed F/As would not be worth it. Sometimes life is tough .... but really glad AA did the right thing and extended the recall rights. I wish they ALL come back... more F/As under me...

I think APFA did exactly what the membership wanted them to do ... Leave the contract closed !!!! Can you just see what would have happened if they did open the contract up to extend recall rights and took concessions ???? The gain for some furloughed F/As would not be worth it. Sometimes life is tough .... but really glad AA did the right thing and extended the recall rights. I wish they ALL come back... more F/As under me...

Since they did sign a recall extension without opening the contract, it just reinforces my belief that such a condition was a smokescreen used by APFA to not deal with the issue. By saying they had to open the contract they terrorized the membership into thinking AA might gain some major concessions. Pure BS. APFA could have totally ignored any requests made by AA.

Since they did sign a recall extension without opening the contract, it just reinforces my belief that such a condition was a smokescreen used by APFA to not deal with the issue. By saying they had to open the contract they terrorized the membership into thinking AA might gain some major concessions. Pure BS. APFA could have totally ignored any requests made by AA.
Now that's BS !!!!! APFA is not the enemy... When will you see that ????? Just because APFA did not role over and give the store to the TWA F/As they are not a good union. Did you know that the TWA F/A's got everything but bidding senority.... pretty good deal at the time !! Really want all the TWA F/As back.... love working with them...

Now that's BS !!!!! APFA is not the enemy... When will you see that ????? Just because APFA did not role over and give the store to the TWA F/As they are not a good union. Did you know that the TWA F/A's got everything but bidding senority.... pretty good deal at the time !! Really want all the TWA F/As back.... love working with them...

APFA is the enemy. A union that cannot be honest with its members. Look at how THB goes after those who filed and supported Marcoux, claiming APFA did nothing wrong and they are a bunch of malcontents.

THB came to FU where the TWA F/As were getting training and stated no F/A should fly over age 65. Clueless looking at an audience many of whom were over 65. She also insulted them in other ways. She did apologize however.

Did you know initially the TWA F/As were told by your own committee that they would never be stapled? How can you trust anyone from APFA?

APFA makes Jimmy Hoffa look like a Boy Scout.

Enjoy your flying with TWA F/As.