REJECT

sfb;

One thing that I would like to add is that lower wages should not be considered a "viable business plan". Lower labor costs can be acheived through other means such as improving effeciency and productivity. I feel that Uniteds biggest flaw was that they were going straight after their employees paychecks instead of trying any and every thing else first. I read where they have over 175 vice presidents! They hire a new boss, with no experience in the industry and throw nearly $4million at him before he does anything! Things are way out of wack in this country.

Congratulations, I guess, to La Treal for beating everybody to the punch on this breaking story.[BR][BR]As a result, you get the honor of having your thread being the host of all comments directly on this issue. [BR][BR]--Folks-- please make your comments in this thread. News articles have been posted in other threads, but we've closed off the ability to reply in those threads. This is to keep the discussion from getting duplicative or otherwise out of control.[BR][BR]Sorry about the bad news. I'm sure things will work out.

Congratulations, I guess, to La Treal for beating everybody to the punch on this breaking story.[BR][BR]As a result, you get the honor of having your thread being the host of all comments directly on this issue. [BR][BR]--Folks-- please make your comments in this thread. News articles have been posted in other threads, but we've closed off the ability to reply in those threads. This is to keep the discussion from getting duplicative or otherwise out of control.[BR][BR]Sorry about the bad news. I'm sure things will work out.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 6:12:50 PM Bob Owens wrote:

sfb;

One thing that I would like to add is that lower wages should not be considered a "viable business plan".
----------------
[/blockquote]

One thing that I would like to add is that excessive wages should not be considered a "viable business plan."

Good luck to all at UAL.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 6:12:50 PM Bob Owens wrote:

sfb;

One thing that I would like to add is that lower wages should not be considered a "viable business plan".
----------------
[/blockquote]

One thing that I would like to add is that excessive wages should not be considered a "viable business plan."

Good luck to all at UAL.

Man I feel for you guys/girls. [BR][BR]Hopefully you'll have better luck than weve been having at US Air. Everyday I go to work I feel Im day closer to losing my job and its not just me that feels that way you can see it in everybody elses face as well. [BR][BR]Best of luck[BR][BR]Tug[BR]

Man I feel for you guys/girls. [BR][BR]Hopefully you'll have better luck than weve been having at US Air. Everyday I go to work I feel Im day closer to losing my job and its not just me that feels that way you can see it in everybody elses face as well. [BR][BR]Best of luck[BR][BR]Tug[BR]

Machinists Condemn Denial of Loan Guarantee to United Airlines

Washington, D.C., December 4, 2002 –“The ATSB has miserably failed its mandate of assisting distressed airlines,†said Tom Buffenbarger, International President of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) on the rejection of United Airlines’ application for a federal loan guarantee by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB).

“Congress created the ATSB to assist an airline industry thrown into a financial tailspin by the 9-11 attacks,†said Robert Roach, Jr., IAM General Vice President for Transportation. “IAM members were prepared to, once again, take extraordinary measures to protect their jobs and the family’s future. But the ATSB has exceeded its statutory directive and is playing with the livelihoods of the working men and women at United Airlines.â€

IAM District 141-M, representing United’s Mechanic & Related employees, had scheduled a vote on participation in United’s recovery program for December 5, 2002. The terms being voted, as well as those previously ratified by IAM District 141 and all other labor groups, was contingent on the ATSB’s approval of United’s loan guarantee application.

“Tomorrow’s ratification was set to be a vote on United’s future,†said Buffenbarger. “We were ready to partner with United, the Union Coalition and the government to return United Airlines into the nations premier carrier. Unfortunately, the United States government walked out on that partnership. I am greatly disappointed in the President, the ATSB and all those who have turned their backs on United Airlines and its greatest asset - their employees.â€

“As a result of the ATSB’s irresponsible actions,†said Buffenbarger, “a vote on the current recovery package would be pointless, and has been canceled.â€

The International Association of Machinists represents over 37,000 United Airlines employees in the Ramp& Stores, Mechanic & Related, Public Contact, Food Service and Security employees. For more information about the Machinists Union, go to www.goiam.org.

Machinists Condemn Denial of Loan Guarantee to United Airlines

Washington, D.C., December 4, 2002 –“The ATSB has miserably failed its mandate of assisting distressed airlines,†said Tom Buffenbarger, International President of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) on the rejection of United Airlines’ application for a federal loan guarantee by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB).

“Congress created the ATSB to assist an airline industry thrown into a financial tailspin by the 9-11 attacks,†said Robert Roach, Jr., IAM General Vice President for Transportation. “IAM members were prepared to, once again, take extraordinary measures to protect their jobs and the family’s future. But the ATSB has exceeded its statutory directive and is playing with the livelihoods of the working men and women at United Airlines.â€

IAM District 141-M, representing United’s Mechanic & Related employees, had scheduled a vote on participation in United’s recovery program for December 5, 2002. The terms being voted, as well as those previously ratified by IAM District 141 and all other labor groups, was contingent on the ATSB’s approval of United’s loan guarantee application.

“Tomorrow’s ratification was set to be a vote on United’s future,†said Buffenbarger. “We were ready to partner with United, the Union Coalition and the government to return United Airlines into the nations premier carrier. Unfortunately, the United States government walked out on that partnership. I am greatly disappointed in the President, the ATSB and all those who have turned their backs on United Airlines and its greatest asset - their employees.â€

“As a result of the ATSB’s irresponsible actions,†said Buffenbarger, “a vote on the current recovery package would be pointless, and has been canceled.â€

The International Association of Machinists represents over 37,000 United Airlines employees in the Ramp& Stores, Mechanic & Related, Public Contact, Food Service and Security employees. For more information about the Machinists Union, go to www.goiam.org.