Resignations

Justaramper said:
The problem could be, that the $9/hour people are the $7.25/hour people, if the paycuts do go across the board.

It's very hard to hire new part timers at McDonald wages, so the position remains open and now your OT goes up and the mean average wage does also...

Same problem as pre-contract {FS} and they were concerned then as no one would take the jobs.

Lets see what they do to solve this one......
[post="192319"][/post]​

I agree.......no one will want this job for minimum wage. So what's left? A bunch of top of scale employees who are working short handed. :shock: When will they do something to encourage senior geezers to leave? I mean besides making them miserable. If they don't, the senior people will ride this old horse til it dies........

The truth of the matter is some people are not very employable. They have refused to adapt. For example some need to clean up or polish themselves somewhat. Learn to be more confident. Maybe even lose weight. Fact remains some folks here have little choice because in this dog eat dog world they will not come away better. If one is prepared then one can come away better. Some folks haven't even thought of doing a resume let alone starting to network. I truly believe there would be people that would stay here for $8 an hour with no benefits. Trouble is generally those people are not very talented. Does it matter? I don't know. Nature of the beast is to resist change. Well change is being forced upon you. There is a new paradigm now and it is not what you may be used to. If you ask me I say, “Shut ‘em downâ€￾. But I will not be the one going back to my trailer and talking about the days of when I used to work out at the airport. Wake up and prepare quickly because change is definitely upon you whether you like it or not. There are jobs out there. Best wishes to all.

My resume is polished and in circulation. Some I work with are hoping to be furloughed and others are looking for other employment. Regardless, the writing has been on the wall for a while and people should have been preparing. Don't leave any corner untouched and regardless of how long ago you may have recieved your college education or technical education have confidence in your capabilities. Those who don't have an education - it's never too late.

i wonder how many of the "so called top leverl mgmt" (if you can even call that that) will resign and take their multi millions crap with them????

I think soon we'll see those exec's quietly leaving without much fanfare. Just gotta have the judge watch the backdoor, coz that big sucking sound in CCY is the money going out with them.

cavalier said:
And I may add, like you can't believe! What is one man's garbage another man's riches.

Malcontented minds see things fuzzy.
[post="192323"][/post]​

They will line up and take the jobs. Problem is they will not stay very long. You will spend time and money to train these people and after about 1 year with no raise in sight, flight benefits that are very difficult to use(low senority / can't get on flights), horrible benefits (if any at all),working weekends, working all holidays, etc., they will move on. You end up with a lot of waste due to the turnover.

The Midatlantic F?A resignations had a lot to do with the fact that PIT is being downsized for MDA, and PHL and DCA are growing instead.

While they might have been willing to return to work for MDA from home, the added costs and time lost in commuting for the same job has made it no longer worthwhile.

roadstar said:
They will line up and take the jobs. Problem is they will not stay very long.
[post="192380"][/post]​

Yeah they won't stay long, minimum wage does not build a lot of loyalty or concern for doing a good job. Some newhires also may be too careless to allow them around our 50 million dollar aiplanes.

What they haven't figured out is people who want to work at airlines are big enthusiasts who are willing to work under crazy conditions- long hours, weekends, holidays, unpredicatability, time away, stressful people situations- because they love doing it, for a decent wage and benefits, even below other industry standards because they love doing it.

But when you push too far, when you add to the craziness an unliveable paycheck that never gets any better, who wants to do it? Nobody. Only those having trouble finding employment elsewhere and are already transient in thier job endeavors. You get the "just a job" people who put seven dollars of effort into thier seven dollar job, and you end up hiring more and more seven dollar people as they come and go, and more and more managers to try and get them to work, when you could have just had a really great group of $12 employees that bring in revenue rather than push them away.

Apparently the folks above don't stop at Wendy's on the way home and see exactly what $7 workers are like.

In all honesty, I never imagined that I would leave US Airways voluntarily. I loved this job and the people that I worked with were great. The passengers, too.

But the wages and benefits can no longer justify remaining.

I suspect many others will come to the same conclusion and soon start leaving for better opportunuties. Why endure the strife, turmoil, and substandard wages? Just doing some fuzzy math: a 7th year flight attendant on reserve (71 hour minimum) will gross approximately the same amount if he or she takes a $12 an hour job 40 hours per week.

Likewise, I recently got an email from jetBlue for a phone interview after submitting an application a couple of months back. Decided to pass on it. After enduring the past few years at US Airways, the last thing I want to do is start at the bottom again. Or even remain in the industry.

Best to all,

BT

BostonTerrier said:
In all honesty, I never imagined that I would leave US Airways voluntarily. I loved this job and the people that I worked with were great. The passengers, too.

But the wages and benefits can no longer justify remaining.

I suspect many others will come to the same conclusion and soon start leaving for better opportunuties. Why endure the strife, turmoil, and substandard wages? Just doing some fuzzy math: a 7th year flight attendant on reserve (71 hour minimum) will gross approximately the same amount if he or she takes a $12 an hour job 40 hours per week.

Likewise, I recently got an email from jetBlue for a phone interview after submitting an application a couple of months back. Decided to pass on it. After enduring the past few years at US Airways, the last thing I want to do is start at the bottom again. Or even remain in the industry.

Best to all,

BT
[post="192479"][/post]​

I did the math and here is what you're looking at if you're F/A on 70 hours....$12.52 an hour. If you are like me and really need your healthcare and actually use it the co-pays will kill you, not to mention the monthly premiums. They took the 401 completely away, the dental is a joke, my dentist even dropped U's insurance because of that fact. Vacation was reduced soon to be even more so, sick time is being eaten away every time they hiccup. Pensions gone for most unions and the rest are being only partially paid up. And the big kicker and for some the biggest kicker, to hold your job you are in a city you don't live in paying to live there and working undesirable shifts with terrible days off. Combine all these facts and why so many are retiring, that number being 600 "just" in January hundreds more in November and December. They want the old timers gone and they are succeeding by shoving these kinds of wages and benefits down the employees throats, force feeding them garbage.

I am looking at a job that is less money but has better healthcare that includes dental and the best vision plan available, a 401 plan that pays even if you don't pay a dime, more holidays off with no working weekends unless it's overtime, always having the big holidays off. Unlike U, where you wonder up until the day before if you will get Christmas Eve off. Plus something U has never provided, “peace of mindâ€￾ knowing the course is steady with no surprises awaiting you weekly and hearing daily rumors of severe gloom and doom and watching you fellow co-workers suffering depression and taking pills because of it.

Our parents, if we were lucky, taught us life is tough and there would be times like these. God bless our parents, they were right on target. U didn't disappoint us in that respect. God be with the U employees and grant them peace of mind as they go through the changes they are going through and will go though it in the near future. It will be a sad holiday season for the U employees, mostly the union membership since they are the redheaded step children.

roadstar said:
They will line up and take the jobs. Problem is they will not stay very long. You will spend time and money to train these people and after about 1 year with no raise in sight, flight benefits that are very difficult to use(low senority / can't get on flights), horrible benefits (if any at all),working weekends, working all holidays, etc., they will move on. You end up with a lot of waste due to the turnover.
[post="192380"][/post]​

Bullseye. It is a 24 hour a day/17 hour a day operation. That in itself is a reason to pay more. Management will soon find this out.

awayfrmitall said:
What I would like to know is who in the world would apply & be hired by USair when there won't be any raises for years?

In addition there isn't even a guarantee that the company will be around in a few months. Seems to me that the cost of training new person, after new person (I am sure turn over will be very high) would be better spent by paying the exsisting people that money and keeping them around.
[post="192313"][/post]​

If the fuel prices stabalize and maybe decrease, the company will survive this, however the U employees won't.

The main issue, I believe, for all the airlines is the problem of the escalating fuel prices. Its killing our industry.

And no one wants to raise fares to accomodate those severe increases.