Rock Salomon's Plan

Skymess

Veteran
Aug 6, 2004
NY
Dear Colleagues:

The NEWAPFA Slate is committed to to getting our money back—that is why this group was formed in 2003, and that is why it still exists today. As a named plaintiff in a lawsuit challenging the validity of the 2003 Restructuring Participation Agreement (RPA), I have been fighting for the APFA membership for the last four years in an effort to restore our pay, benefits and work rules. Though this is a big step toward recovering our losses, a "lawsuit" is not a "plan." We can't have a future built on a lawsuit.

The NEWAPFA Slate is not a "one trick pony." There's more to us than a lawsuit. The fact that you have taken time to read this only attests to our ability to market ourselves. It is this type of marketing that we believe will help us move forward. What we need is a complete overhaul at APFA. We need to rethink the way our union works with our membership and the way it presents itself to the membership. We desperately need to market the union to the membership and get the membership excited about being involved once again. If we don't, our careers as we remember them are truly gone.

As a Plaintiff, I know this can be done. The smiles I see on flight attendants faces when I tell them there's a group of flight attendants out there fighting for them reassures me that the problem with APFA is one that centers on leadership and not the organization itself. People WILL wear their union pins once again if leadership gives them a reason to do so. As a Plaintiff, I have given you hope. As your next President, I will give you action.

The first thing we plan to do is relieve from service the attorneys who represented us during the Company's Restructuring. Why they're still on the payroll is beyond me. One law firm that represents us was sued by the Teamsters for "cash-swapping" money from the union's treasury into a shell organization, which in turn donated money back into a reelection campaign fund. This same firm also returned more than $4 million in "success fees" to United Airlines employees because the fees were not disclosed to the employees beforehand. Personally, I've never heard of a law firm returning money that they legitimately earned. Have you?

Another attorney who currently represents us and needs to go is the one who APFA refers to as "the strategist." This attorney represented us through the Restructuring and I believe outlined the "Walking Through the Rhetoric" Campaign that Tommie Hutto-Blake incorporated with informational picketing. This so-called "strategist" was the strategist behind the demise of the Northwest flight attendants' union, the Professional Flight Attendants Association (PFAA). This attorney's strategic maneuvers led to that union being raided by the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA). This attorney strategized PFAA right out of existence, and these strategies have placed APFA on the brink of collapse.

There's another attorney, who needs no introduction, that also needs to go. This attorney was instrumental in helping to create the problems our union and membership face today, yet this attorney is still on the APFA payroll. This attorney had the audacity to offer us a 15.6% discount on legal services after the Restructuring in an effort to help flight attendants file for personal bankruptcy. And contrary to APFA's opinion on members suing the union, this attorney, when employed as a flight attendant, sued APFA under the case Stu Adams-Lundy v. APFA. This attorney continues to work under Brett Durkin (VP on the Glading Slate).

After replacing counsel, the NEWAPFA Slate plans to aggressively address the 2003 Restructuring Participation Agreement from inside the walls of APFA. The flight attendants at American should not be forced to watch AMR executives lavish themselves with money taken from employees. Long days with no food and little rest so that a handful of executives can pocket hundreds of millions of dollars is absurd!!!

Once we set these actions into motion, the NEWAPFA Slate plans to aggressively revamp the image of APFA in preparation for the next round of negotiations. How can we possibly think that we're going to successfully challenge this company when our union looks so pitifully weak? Who are we kidding? Just look at the website, the pictures are from 30 years ago. This is not our workgroup at all. The NEWAPFA Slate wants a union that looks like a union and acts like a union.

In closure, a vote for the NEWAPFA Slate is a vote for action! Linda Luebs, Anna Johnson, Tim Todd and myself are confident that we can put OUR union back in the hands of the membership. It’s YOUR union. It should be fighting for YOU.

In solidarity,
Rock Salomon BOS
http://voterock.org

Great concept! Elect someone with ZERO labor experience and who is suing our union to head the APFA for the next 4 years.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='553330' date='Dec 16 2007, 10:14 PM']Great concept! Elect someone with ZERO labor experience and who is suing our union to head the APFA for the next 4 years.[/quote]

I'm not saying I will vote for him. I think it is important to have more information out there about a candidate then the BS in their willingness to serves.

One thing I find impressive about Rock is that he is amazing at getting his word out and communicating. You might not agree with any/all that he says but you do see it everywhere and most FA's with email have read at least some of his opinions on things.

Given the list of candidates, could we do worse? :huh: One thing I am sure of, I am NOT voting for the same old same old this time around. Nor do I intend to vote for anyone who is endorsed by any of the same old same old.

I voted for THB, naively believing in her campaign rhetoric. Never again. As someone who was furloughed as a direct result of JW's refusal to listen to ideas from other flight attendants who had concessionary bargaining experience, no one in his camp is attracting my attention either.

Again, could we do worse than just get a whole new bunch in there?

Given the list of candidates, could we do worse? :huh: One thing I am sure of, I am NOT voting for the same old same old this time around. Nor do I intend to vote for anyone who is endorsed by any of the same old same old.

I voted for THB, naively believing in her campaign rhetoric. Never again. As someone who was furloughed as a direct result of JW's refusal to listen to ideas from other flight attendants who had concessionary bargaining experience, no one in his camp is attracting my attention either.

Again, could we do worse than just get a whole new bunch in there?

well I hate to say it but I think the concept of new blood may be great but the reality would be a massacre. Can we really allow an inexperienced person to go into negotiations with AA at this stage of the game? If any of the new candidates had any experience in any area of the union they might be a viable candidate. Having a passion for something could possibly work but most likely won't. I'm not really willing to take that chance.

well I hate to say it but I think the concept of new blood may be great but the reality would be a massacre. Can we really allow an inexperienced person to go into negotiations with AA at this stage of the game? If any of the new candidates had any experience in any area of the union they might be a viable candidate. Having a passion for something could possibly work but most likely won't. I'm not really willing to take that chance.

You are drawing conclusions without evidence. You want to re-elect someone who repeatedly lied to you?

I'm sorry. Isn't this sort of the same ideology that got us 4 more years of Bush/Cheney? Many Americans did not want to change our president because they thought it would have been a disaster electing someone new and having them deal with Iraq.

Oh, and the experienced ones got you some great deal that I don't know about? When it came to the 2003 concessions the only flight attendants we had who had ANY concessionary bargaining experience were the former TW flight attendants. They offered their help, and were totally ignored by JW and company.

Saying that experience will guarantee success in negotiations and lack of experience will guarantee failure is like Bush-Cheney saying that the fact that there hasn't been another terrorist attack in the U.S. since 9/11 proves that their "plan" is working. No, it doesn't. It just proves that there hasn't been another terrorist attack.

Caused by a president with no experience.

The President's lack of experience was not the cause. The desire of the neo-cons to gain control of Iraq's oil fields and break OPEC was the underlying reason for the war. The resultant disaster which is Iraq today was caused by the Bush-Cheney circle believing their own invincibility and refusing to learn from the lessons of Vietnam--i.e., that you can not impose a government on people who don't want it. At least, not in the modern era when there is always another country who is more than willing to sell arms to those people to resist your strong-arm attempts.

And, before anyone suggests that those willing sellers are somehow to blame, let me remind you that most of Saddam Hussein's military power was provided to him by the good old U.S. of A. We thought he would keep Syria tied up in knots. The neo-cons were very disappointed when he used those arms to resist the U.S. oil companies' attempts to collect all the profit from Iraq's oilfields. They stripped him of his Boy Scout badge and invaded.

Besides, Bush could have spent years in government, but his current handlers (Cheney and company) are running the show. Bush's experience or lack of it is not the problem.

His whole "plan" flies in the face of logic and the APFA Constitution....

Rock cherry picks his facts, then gets half of them wrong..!

He a real "Renaissance Man... "

As I mentioned NewAPFA is simply amusement...

Rock would fold in a minute when up against the company. The fact that neither he nor Baumert was willing to work in experience-building positions at APFA shows their lack of commitment.

They could have easily worked on councils at the base level without becoming part of the political machine they claim to so detest. But why bother volunteering when it's much more fun, and easier, to simply criticize?

Rock has my vote, as well as, us other so called "junior" f/as on the line...At least, he has new ideas and wants to clean house at the APFA...It's about time to stand up for what's right...BTW....What has happend to the mass exodus of all of these F/A's wanting to retire? Remember....the best 4 years is what is calculated to give you your retirement., and with the pay cuts those years are now gone......They are still on the line and not going anywhere...Why? You guys tell me?

What Unity?

Rock would fold in a minute when up against the company. The fact that neither he nor Baumert was willing to work in experience-building positions at APFA shows their lack of commitment.

They could have easily worked on councils at the base level without becoming part of the political machine they claim to so detest. But why bother volunteering when it's much more fun, and easier, to simply criticize?

I can't say about Rock, but it was JW who folded up in a New York minute and gave Carty everything he asked for and then some. He gave up furlough pay when he did not have too. He bowed and scrapped before Carty.

Back