Rumors of Res center Closing....

I wouldn't put too much stock in rumors at this point...Just the company flexing it's muscle to get an agreement worked out...Their answer at this point is probably everything is on the table...Look for more pressure up until the 12 sep deadline...then we'll see what happens next...

Due to the current call volume I doubt very much that any res office will close. Heck here in MCO res we have been rumored to close off and on since 1992. We are still open for business. If at this time massive amounts of VTO was being given out, I would be concerned. What is the key here is the cost of operations. I do know that here in MCO we are very cost effective office to run. But on the other hand, we are the only office owned by the company and that makes us an asset, and we are in BK. If another office closes the company would once again have to hire off the streets due to lack of transfers just like after 9/11. If I was in the situation that my office would be closing, based on the current condition of the airline industry I myself would be more than likely to be reluctant to relocate due to the uncertin future. IMO if anything does happen it would be layoffs in res based on seniority, but I do believe it would be limited. The reason why I say that is yes we are decreasing mainline flying by 13pct, but we are increasing RJ flying after we emerge from chapter 11. This to me is logical, but I have to also take into account that U has done some illogical things in the past with previous management. One can only hope that Dave changes that way of thinking.

I hear a new "closing" rumor about every week. U management will screw us, no questions there - but they'd rather shock you with the news than let you know in advance. When they closed the maintenance bases a few years back, you had VPs telling us that they weren't being closed up to a few weeks prior to the shutdown. Guess they think productivity would sink if they told us earlier, so might as well lie.[:(]

I head that its MCO because the system could support a small office like that going off-line. When SAN res closed they discouraged transfers to MCO. PIT will most likely stay open because it will accept the airport displacements from the birth of MDA. That would more than cover the phones. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the last annual report MCO and SAN were listed as owned assets, and that doesn't look good in court.

They are going to move just the call center? or System Baggage Services. That is a huge department spread between the ATO and RIDC. It is made up of not only the call center but coders, claims, ect...

----------------
On 8/24/2002 12:59:43 PM

I head that its MCO because the system could support a small office like that going off-line. When SAN res closed they discouraged transfers to MCO. PIT will most likely stay open because it will accept the airport displacements from the birth of MDA. That would more than cover the phones. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the last annual report MCO and SAN were listed as owned assets, and that doesn't look good in court.
----------------
last I heard MCO had close to 450-475 incl. mgmt and admin..thats a pretty hefty number and an increase of over 100 since all the other offices closed down.With that large a number of cwa, I would venture to guess as the rumors get stronger, whatever office thinks is getting the axe or even all 3 offices, and in solidarity, they might vote NO by majority just because they will feel they have nothing to lose, they may not be here anyway in 3 months,or 6..but it may not be enough to negate the ato vote...but such an action could seal the fate of the entire CWA renegotiated or JUDGE made contract.

I heard the Dayton office was closing!! Oops!![;)] [;)] , That one already happened!!

Seriously though (if in fact anybody thinks rumors are serious), I have heard rumors about both MCO and PIT support building. I don't know that it would do the company much good to close MCO. They need a warm weather location that isn't bogged down in winter with reps not being able to get there due to weather. Aren't both of PIT's buildings'leases about done?

And even with the airline in the shape it is, if they closed MCO and most don't transfer, how many people are on recall list and would consider moving to PIT or INT? They would have first go at it if openings were to be available, and the recall is by seniority, so once again, cost savings won't be realized. (Instead of hiring off the streets)

Just thoughts and rumors here, except for the first line, which I swear, is reality!![:knockout:]

Lets take a realistic look at all res offices. My office MCO....no real risk of winter weather...rare down here. Owned by U. Yes it is an asset, but we do have fiancing already arranged to see us through BK. PIT....U's home state so to speak, with the politians up there who have backed U, do not see the office closing. Yes other job functions might move to INT, but I do not see even PIT closing at this time even though the lease is up the end of the year. INT...occasional winter weather but otherwise a ok weatherwise. PI old primary center. Specialty functions from PIT being transferred there. So not a threat to close. Lets face it, if and that is a big if, U elects to close an office the eggs are basically in 2 baskets instead of 3. I would rather have 3 than 2. If you only have 2 offices and need to hire, the job pool will eventually run out...look how many did not make the grade in PIT after 9/11. Now if the code share with UA goes much further than what it is then yes you will see consalidation of the res departments. But that is a least a few years off. Also keep in mind the schedule reduction is 13pct from mainline. So as I stated above maybe in res we could see layoffs based on that number, but doubt it. Yes we are decreasing mainline service, but will be increasing RJ flying drastically. And lets not forget we have an effective cost saving tool already in place VTO!!! Too bad it has never been used to its full potential, but maybe things will change.

It is a rumour in Pittsburgh that res Agents in Building 8 will be transferred to Bld 7 , and the company will use only 1 building for reservations there....saving on expenses...I believe the transition has already started...I don't think the company will close PIT...The winters there have been very mild, almost no snow...easy to hire new people in a large market, politicans very involved...and vocal on USAIRWAYS news because of it being the largest employer in the area...Good public transportation...The company has already combined many job specialtys, combining depts like Gold Silver Pref Reissue Reservations Ticketing CSS CSD...People are more than happy to accept VTO when it is available...

What specialty functions in Pit RES is moving to INT?
If you mean RSO, that was a management function. They had a few deployed res reps at RIDC that had to go back to res. The specialty functions that PIT has are the CSD desk and Res Services (Ticketing and Seats -now the same department). International and Silver/Gold. INT might be able to take over all of INTL or Silver/ GOld but I think it is unlikely. Plus there were nearly 700 agents on the last general sales bid. I don't think we could afford to lose that many agents ...right now anyway.

Lots of rumors...I think they will take us down to
about 950 agents....I sadly think MCO may be the one
to close.

They learned from the last round that hardly anyone
will move from the midwest offices...so they were able
to hire all kinds of help at 8.50 an hour. Of course,
here in INT, I think we only have 6 left out of 30.
60 in the class....

I don't think MCO has been a target before because
it is not a "high seniority" office. But selling the
building would make sense at this point.
I think by Oct or Nov we will know. Nice christmas
present again. Everything they threaten has come true,
so I expect the worse ...hope for the best.

Plus....don't forget they want to fill new positions
for the RJs from in house people...at the new "low"
salaries!!!! I read several instances where Dave
has referred to the new company filling positions from
CWA furloughs and layoffs...