Senators urge Delta to 'remain neutral' in union elections

2BlacknBlue

Senior
Oct 4, 2007
Senators urge Delta to 'remain neutral' in union elections

By JIM THARPE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/22/08

More than two dozen U.S. senators, all of whom have large numbers of union members in their states, are urging Delta and Northwest airlines to "remain neutral" in union elections.

The senators sent a letter to the chief executives of the two carriers, which have announced plans to merge, urging them to "demonstrate a genuine commitment to cooperative labor relations."

Specifically, the senators ask managements to stay clear of future union elections, including an upcoming vote by Delta flight attendants on whether to organize. Delta flight attendants begin voting for AFA-CWA representation Wednesday.

If the merger goes through, the two companies will also have to merge other groups of workers, including mechanics and airport agents, that are unionized at Northwest but not at Delta.

Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-MA), who led the letter effort, said he hopes the merger will not be used "as a way to eliminate the union representation" at Northwest for decades.

Northwest, based in Egan, Minn. is a heavily unionized carrier. At Delta, only pilots and flight dispatchers are unionized currently.

"Delta and Northwest Airlines should honor the loyalty and hard work of their employees by immediately offering them a seat at the table in the merger talks," Kennedy said in the letter. "No employees should have to fear that they will lose their jobs, their benefits, and even their union representation without even being given a voice in these negotiations."

The letter comes three days before AFA-CWA officials and the CEOs from Delta and Northwest are scheduled to testify before a House committee on the merger plan.

More than 55,000 flight attendants at 20 airlines form AFA-CWA, the world's largest flight attendant union.

Delta has successfully resisted large-scale union drives in the past. A vote by ramp workers in 2000 and another by flight attendants in 2002 failed, with organizers getting well under the required majority support for representation.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...union_0423.html

Yup its election time.

Next you will see Senators have both sides declare that they will continue to serve some small town with a population of under 50 at their current schedule and fare levels.

If Sen. Edward Kennedy says to do somehting this way, I do the complete opposite ! Can't believe people still vote for this idiot ! :shock:

If Sen. Edward Kennedy says to do somehting this way, I do the complete opposite ! Can't believe people still vote for this idiot ! :shock:

Don't buy into that stupid anti-Kennedy sentiment. This guy has done more for the labor movement(the people who created the middle-class) than any other politician in history.

If all you really have on him is Chappaquiddick, rest assured there's many politicians in D.C. that have done a lot worse. The difference is they don't defend working people. So you won't hear they're crimes advertised.

Seriously, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Nows the time to stand with the backers of organized labor.

Don't buy into that stupid anti-Kennedy sentiment. This guy has done more for the labor movement(the people who created the middle-class) than any other politician in history.

If all you really have on him is Chappaquiddick, rest assured there's many politicians in D.C. that have done a lot worse. The difference is they don't defend working people. So you won't hear they're crimes advertised.

Seriously, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Nows the time to stand with the backers of organized labor.

Well, I'll be damned... You and I finally agree on something!

It'll be interesting to see how much DL & NW "listen" to this campaign of Kennedy's... I'm not holding my breath....

That is such a worn-out argument. Kill the messenger; forget the message.
And yes, forget everything he's done for labor all these years....some of which have trickled down to you.

Here, here!!!

As a Massachusetts resident, he has made me proud, proud, proud.

JESUS,

What's all the fuss ???

A guy, with a "handle" like... "S O U T H" W I N D........ calls Massachusetts Senator Kennedy an IDIOT.

Again, whats so surprising ????

It wasn't so long ago, that these BACK WOODS....INBRED...Red Necks, would leave church on a sunday(from the pastor on down)...FULL of the "WORD of JESUS", then don hoods and robes :ph34r: :ph34r: and terrorize/HANG people, or BLOW up churches, with little girls INSIDE !!!!!!!!!!!

I say AGAIN,............."what is SO surprising ???????

Sir,

I take offense to your insulting remarks. I have lived "All" over the U.S.A (thanks to crooked airlines) and found the people from the south to be more compassionate and sensitive. Your don't hear of "Nothern hospitality" do you ????????????????????????

It seems you sir have a serious issue. Your remarks about our southern brothers should be left to yourself. Maybe the moderators can see to that !!!!!!

As far as politicians go, they "ALL" can be bought.....The Kennedy's made their claim "bottlegging" liquor.
Show me a honest politician and I'll show you a crook !!!!!

JESUS,

What's all the fuss ???

A guy, with a "handle" like... "S O U T H" W I N D........ calls Massachusetts Senator Kennedy an IDIOT.

Again, whats so surprising ????

It wasn't so long ago, that these BACK WOODS....INBRED...Red Necks, would leave church on a sunday(from the pastor on down)...FULL of the "WORD of JESUS", then don hoods and robes :ph34r: :ph34r: and terrorize/HANG people, or BLOW up churches, with little girls INSIDE !!!!!!!!!!!

I say AGAIN,............."what is SO surprising ???????
This was a good neutral thread until I read your remark. I still have a neutral oppinion though.

Sir,

I take offense to your insulting remarks. I have lived "All" over the U.S.A (thanks to crooked airlines) and found the people from the south to be more compassionate and sensitive. Your don't hear of "Nothern hospitality" do you ????????????????????????

It seems you sir have a serious issue. Your remarks about our southern brothers should be left to yourself. Maybe the moderators can see to that !!!!!!

As far as politicians go, they "ALL" can be bought.....The Kennedy's made their claim "bottlegging" liquor.

So you decide to then insult all of us north of the Mason Dixon Line. Wow, what a compelling bit of tit a tat.

So you decide to then insult all of us north of the Mason Dixon Line. Wow, what a compelling bit of tit a tat.
I don't think this person intensionally insulted people north of the mason dixon. Most don't even know where that is. You may have interpreted his remarks in a way he didnt intend. Some of the finest peeps I have had the priveledge to know are un SYR. I was invited to go fishing and caught a 45 lb salmon! What a great group of friends!! I am southern through and through and still open the door for ladies.

Sir,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As to....YOUR...taking offense, I responded to a person named...SOUTH..Wind.. who saw fit to Insult Teddy Kennedy.

I in NO way am suggesting that ALL southern people were/are/will always be.. Racial BIGOTS.

BUT,

As to the REALITY of my remark,......well the HISTORY of the South, is VERY well documented !!!

PS,

speaking of the Management of this Great site,.......they had the Insight to install an ..IGNORE button.

"Perhaps".........................YOU.......may be "interested" ??