Sick Time

Bob, your view of history is slanted.

The RLA was enacted to protect interstate commerce, protect business not the workers.

The IAM all ready has a contract that says overhauling of aircraft is our work, apparently you have not been following the saga, since three federal court decisions have said the same.

And labor laws were enacted to stop business from exploiting labor, not stopping violence as there are laws on the books all ready in that issue.

PineyBob said:
Any time you create a law an individual citizen suffers someplace. Laws inherently favor institutions over individuals. See 700UW I am not anti-union, I just ALWAYS come down on the side of the individual citizen. In the beginning Unions were a group of like minded citizens seeking economic & social gain. Much like the Cockroaches are today. What unions have become is something else altogether and very self serving and in many cases no more in touch with the workers they purport to represent then the company is to their needs. That's why I pound you on IAM Salaries.
So what do we do then, revert back to the dark ages. Left to his own devices man will kill each other, tyranny will rule, on and on you get the picture. Man made the rules because they were necessary, man is flawed hence so are the laws he made. As we go forward we learn and change for the better. At this time in history the LP party is making noise and some people are starting to hear it, but until it roars, debating the what if’s is endless and accomplishing nothing.

The fact is human nature being what it is, some people will abuse sick time and some won't. The management personnel trained in human behavior will exploit this fact using it as a wedging tool to divide the ranks, scatter them and break their focus and in so doing break their collective power, because as a focus beam of united individuals they are a powerful force to be reckoned with. This is what sick time is to this management, a tool to divide the labor force and break their strength. Going on about the LP party doesn’t do a thing to strengthen labor's case. Fact is LP party banter is irrelevant in this topic, because it doesn’t rule the laws of the land at this time in our history.

If the mechanics were non union and had to bid a contract with U management for the heavy maintenance work, the mechanics and related would be pennyless. U managment wouldn't be happy, unless they impoverished their mehanics. That's why its still being appealed by managment, even with the best contract language, even with two judges rulings, back in court they go.

No one takes a job action, when managements threaten to liquidate. Give me a break, that has been the "trump card" here at U for both concessions, and watch with concession #3. It will be the "song and dance" with the ATSB requirements that they have to meet, OR ELSE.

Unions are not utopic organizations, but they do create a balance in our economy. If it was not for "tight-clad" contact languge, we would be looking at 2,000 mechanic furloughs in the future. Union are its members, and the leaders are the voices of the members, like it, or lump it, or not believe it. That's my experience.

Bob the RLA was enacted in 1926, sorry before the great depression, and it is against the law and our contract for wildcat strikes and no one else is working on those planes either, we cannot force the company to let us overhaul them instead of parking them and re-leasing the 8 airbii we returned in bankruptcy, and yes we could have struck after the court ruled it a major dispute, but it would have let the company pull a force majuere and layoff thousands and park airplanes and we as employees were not gonna let them get the upper hand.

Salaries? Dave made $4 million last year, he is not worth 4 cents!