Siegel: Pittsburgh hub ''marginal''

USFlyer said:

"This is a good move, IMHO. Having flights that arrive late afternoon/early evening out west means those planes sit there until the red eyes. Then, the planes that arrive later in the evening sit there until the following morning. So, unless US had ops among cities out west, those flights you speak of would be money losers due to aircraft utilization inefficiencies."

USFlyer, it seems to be this would be the perfect time to give the planes a good cleaning before the red-eyes depart. I''m sure you know they need it. Also, I think we still have mechanics who could make good use of the "down time" fixing all the MEL''s on the midnight shift. I''d love to see a west coast base again, but don''t think US has the ability to pull it off. Very few people on the west coast know US Airways exists.

Our west coast agents are great and the rampers do a great job turning the planes around. Terminal One in LAX is a mess, it would be wonderful if we could move elsewhere. There has been rumors.....

Cavalier you are high? CLT has been consistantly beating PIT in numbers in heavy, when they closed INT had 10 tracks in a 5 track hangar, what did you expect then?

You really need to learn your labor history!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU are dreaming if you believe labor stared and ended in the south!! :)

I have been around too long and also around the southern boys to verify how they work and feel about unions and work in general!!

Funny how ALL the 37''s came to PIT when it could be done faster in your town :) :) :) :): LMAO

Where are your F100s, MD80s and DC-9s? You had two lines of 737s going while CLT had 767,A330, 757 and 737s, so get your facts straigth.

Caralier

You got to be kidding right!!?
"southren boys will work for nothing and hates unions" I once attended a Steel Workers Union conference at the time they were makeing a bid to represent the Fleet Service group. Our''s (Charlotte''s) was the lagest group represented from the entire system. Guess where the conference was held?
Pittsburgh? Thats right, we out numbered those die hard Pittsburgh Union brothers and sisters by a margin of app. 2 to 1. And that was in your own back yard to boot. If Pitt is so productive why dose it take more people in Pitt to work less flights? Your stereotypical notion that southren folks are lazy and anti union is pure fantasy.

BTW Im an "Old" refugee from "Plane Bussiness" and it''s great to be back on the "Boards"

Caralier

You got to be kidding right!!?
"southren boys will work for nothing and hates unions" I once attended a Steel Workers Union conference at the time they were makeing a bid to represent the Fleet Service group. Our''s (Charlotte''s) was the lagest group represented from the entire system. Guess where the conference was held?
Pittsburgh? Thats right, we out numbered those die hard Pittsburgh Union brothers and sisters by a margin of app. 2 to 1. And that was in your own back yard to boot. If Pitt is so productive why dose it take more people in Pitt to work less flights? Your stereotypical notion that southren folks are lazy and anti union is pure fantasy.

BTW Im an "Old" refugee from "Plane Bussiness" and it''s great to be back on the "Boards"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST...you southern boys need to learn to spell, it''s CAVALIER with a capital C.

SECOND...the never ending north-south battle is ending with me right here right now, this is not the place and I refuse to waste anymore time on a issue that started in 1860.
THIRD…when I come to your hometown to make my living after Dave is finished, give me and all the Pittsburgh boys a hug, we do have big time seniority you know…can you spell LEAD?
FOURTH….At least the SH walls will not be filled with the southern boys hate filled messages, badly misspelled of course, about Pittsburgh and it’s people when Dave is through with U.

FOURTH...Have a Nice Day__ my southern friends……….Love Cavalier

Well lets see here...the old Piedmont, Air Transport World Airline Of The Year in 1986...pretty good for a bunch of ole "Southern Boys/Hillbillys" huh... " cavalier " You never saw USair there and you never will bud !! Maybe the "southern boys" can teach you "nothern boys and girls" how to be "Winners" instead of "Losers" for a change, come on down to see us.
9.gif

Cavalier you lack of knowledge is abound, PIT is junior to CLT in Maintenance, that is why the CLT mechanics went to PIT when they were abolished and bumped.

You really need to learn the facts and post facts, not your opinions, you know what they say about opinions!

CLT has a new hangar, a new offsite facility, a new training center and a new line hangar. That is why PHL got a new hangar.

Where is the Frank Shifano Maintenance Complex that Frankie and Roddey has been promising you for years?

The only new hangars PIT has is the ones you hang your clothes on!

And your lack of knowledge is outstanding, CLT is made up of west coasters, upstate new yorkers and people from all over.

You make statements that you have no idea of what you are talking, myself, I am from Brooklyn, NY. How does your foot taste in your mouth now?

PS. you need to learn to spell yourself
" YOU are dreaming if you believe labor stared and ended in the south!! :)"

----------------
On 5/1/2003 10:32:09 PM Phoenix wrote:

If I were the Mayor of PIT I would tell the ungrateful leaches to pay the $#%(* rent or get the &$#$*# out.

Then I would call Herb and offer him a blue light special on a beautiful facility.

If I lost my job as mayor... so what? I've been looking for an excuse to move to Florida.

----------------

You're kidding, right? Even is SWA agreed to go to PIT, they would come in and serve two, maybe three cities tops. PIT is too close to their pseudo-hub at BWI for SWA to serve any more cities. Want to fly SWA to OAK? Fly to BWI first, and sit for a few hours, then, on your westbound flight, watch PIT go by our your window about 5 hours after you left...with 4 hours still to go.

And as to the offering of the premier facility? SWA would say..."We'll have about 8 to 10 flights a day. We need one gate. BTW, whatcha goin' to do with the other 99?"

Regarding the CLT vs. PIT productivity/union issues.

In general, I think with North Carolina being a "right to work" state, that union power is a bit more tempered than in Pennsylvania. This is a double-edged sword. Since union shops are, by law, not closed in NC, wages tend to be more "rationalized" to put it euphemistically. Hence, the statistics show better productivity in NC. I don''t think this is the case in Pennsylvania, which is a dyed-in-the-wool unionism stronghold and wages tend to be higher, thereby skewing the productivity statistics.

Disclaimer: My comments are my own views. They apply to workers, in general, of ALL industries. I am fully aware that "right to work" laws do not apply to contracts negotiated under the RLA, and hence not applicable to our airline contracts, in particular.

Thanks Lav, it was merely a figure of speach. If I had said, "call COLLEEN" it wouldn''t have worked.

The point is that the PIT mayor should show some cajones. Deadbeat renters are deadbeat renters.

----------------
On 5/2/2003 5:28:45 PM firstamendment wrote:

Actions speak louder than words:

In the past five years

PHL- Brand new international terminal

PHL- Basically new hanger

PHL- New and huge express terminal

CLT- Brand new addition to international terminal

CLT- New and huge express terminal

CLT- Brand new hanger added

CLT- Beautiful addition to training center

PIT-

Enough said.

----------------​

That''s the dumbest comparison I''ve seen. Go back 12 years when PIT was brand spanking new and nothing was being done at the other hubs. You really need to look at the whole picture of how USAirways moved it''s focus from one city to the other. How fast you forget that PIT was the first hub to have an exclusive Express terminal. Compared to PHL and CLT it''s old and run down. But it still was years ahead of the others. IMO, the PHL express is far superior to the CLT express. And PIT had an entire end of a concourse ready for international flights that US ended up moving to PHL over the years.

You''d also think that since your company is just out of BK you''d be focusing on making it thrive. As a PAX that has lived on US for the last 7 years, every week of the year, let me tell you that you all need to get back to making your airline a product that the public WANTS to fly on. Your bickering in these message boards only shows you are not happy unless you have something to complain about. Get over it already.

Yes, PIT is in trouble because your leader is a low down dirty player, oh; but you know that already!! Or you wouldn''t have taken all those pay cuts. Now he''s looking at dropping the "dead wood" in his eyes. OK, do it and watch your fellow coworkers hit the unemployment line. Just more fodder for your rantings.

Your management will continue to try to cut costs and employees. If PIT is to be on that list, so be it. Every city needs air service, so US won''t be the big cheese in PIT anymore. So what?! I have been flying the other airlines lately and like I said in another posting, US is not that great after all. It''s amazing how a PAX like me can see what''s missing on US when I have to fly someone else. You''d also be surprised at how the other airlines woo a PAX like me to spend my money on their airline. Just remember that when you watch your PAX around the airport and on your planes. We can always go to another airline. Easily.

Actions speak louder than words:

In the past five years

PHL- Brand new international terminal
PHL- Basically new hanger
PHL- New and huge express terminal

CLT- Brand new addition to international terminal
CLT- New and huge express terminal
CLT- Brand new hanger added
CLT- Beautiful addition to training center

PIT-

Enough said.

Trvlr, you are wrong, guess you have not been to CLT this past summer when they just opened an exclusive brand new express terminal.

And to PHX, they are not deadbeat renters, US Airways is paying the same rent as the lease states, the leases are terminated in January of 2004.

[SIZE= 10pt]1990[/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt]New 80,000 square-foot international and commuter concourse opens. USAir establishes hangar maintenance base. Twin parking decks open. Queen Charlotte sculpture placed in airport's courtyard.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]1991[/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt] Passenger terminal expansion underway. Charlotte Air Cargo Center established.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]1998[/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt] US Airways establishes [/SIZE]Airbus crew training base and begins construction on new training facility.
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]1999[/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt] Plans are announced for the construction of a regional carrier concourse, Concourse E and expansion of Concourses A and D.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]2001 [/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt]New line hangar opens.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]2002[/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt] US Airways Express begins service out of a new 95,000 square foot facility at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back