Sources say ALPA accord near

C

chipmunn

The ALPA Negotiating Committee has been involved in important meetings with the Company and reports from today''s MEC meeting indicate a pilot accord is near. The agreement will provide 70 and 78-seat RJ scope relief, W-2 cuts, work rule and pension changes.
The agreement will provide US Airways with the target $101 million in annual savings, should protect virtually all pilot jobs, provide retirement plan modifications, and prevent the PBGC from taking custody of the ALPA retirement fund.
It is unclear if the agreement will be contingent on all other labor groups and management taking their target cuts; however, this caveat was in the MEC charging order.
Chip

Yep..they will reach an agreement. And two weeks from now Mr. Dave will come out "Sorry, I have to go to 245 aircraft".

Yes Boomer,

I believe you accurately see the picture that is so quickly developing. There will be no returns in this new round of concessions for the non-pilot labor groups; this time it's not about the unions giving, but rather the company simply taking. Akin to stealing a bum's tin cup after he has fallen asleep from exhaustion.

I think we are about to see one hell of a power-play on the part of U.

Best.

Chip,
The real question is will the Pilots release their agreement with U to the other Unions in such detail as has been agreed and prior to the other Unions being required to accept the NEW concession package?

The suspicion is that the concessions from the other labor groups will fund a fuller percentage of the Pilot pension than they will recieve if they accept such an agreement.

My question is...what are you gonna get back? In my 36 years in this business, I have NEVER known pilots to give anything to anyone with their right hand....unless they were guaranteeded that they would get it and more back with their left hand.

On 12/6/2002 6:42:21 PM chipmunn wrote:

The agreement will provide US Airways with the target $101 million in annual savings, should protect virtually all pilot jobs, provide retirement plan modifications, and prevent the PBGC from taking custody of the ALPA retirement fund.

Did we say $101 million.....we meant $200 million!

It is unclear if the agreement will be contingent on all other labor groups and management taking their target cuts; however, this caveat was in the MEC charging order.

I think it will be VERY CLEAR soon enough!

Chip
----------------
[/blockquote]

If the company imposes their wish list on the non-ALPA groups, I see one helluva lawsuit coming. Of course, that would be the end of U. Isn't it interesting so many courses of action reach that same conclusion? Only a miracle at this point, folks. But that is what Christmas is all about.

Luck to all, as corporate planning at U is an oxymoron.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/6/2002 7:44:40 PM Mike wrote:
[P]Yep..they will reach an agreement. And two weeks from now Mr. Dave will come out "Sorry, I have to go to 245 aircraft". [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]you forgot the line about reneging on the 1113 promise.....labor friendly.....this guy is wolfe's jekyll/hyde(oh my god,i just realized it)a sheep in WOLF"S clothing.[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/14.gif']

A320Driver, I agree with you Sir!!

This circumstance is in a never ending cycle for We the employee's.

There is obviously No apparent limit to what they will ask of us..or attempt to do to us. The only hope for an end to Siegel and Bronners shinanigans is to let them take this to Chapter 7..and call it a day.

I would have never imagined things getting to this point...but then again we have never had anything like this to take place to base a history upon..with maybe the Eastern issue being an exception?

U is but the first to take the plunge into oblivion during this new enviroment...well of the majors anyway. I'm sure United will be facing an alike circumstance in due course.

I fail to see how Bronner hopes to gain anything by trying to "Strong Arm" us into something that will not work for anyone.

Should the Employee's or Unions cave on thier demands? , this will create a highly suspect operation in terms of safety..as well as function. This is something I would just as soon not be party too.

I for one , will not support anything that speaks of "Outsourcing" of a single job in any work group classification...least of all while management continues to make boneheaded choices while drawing premium salaries and benefits by comparison to those whom actually operate the airline as we know it. *I think Lee Iacoca of Chrysler should be a shining example of a CEO's conduct under these conditons

I'm sadened that things have had to come to this...especially when it was avoidable to begin with. They cannot and will not rebuild this company at the rank and files continued expense. I do think the folks remaining , including those at the WO's should send an across the board NO to any proposal under the current conditions being leveled at us , This is the only way we can make a return throw of the "Monkey-Wrench" back at those whom have failed to steer this company properly.

The final straw has come for me..when a minority Investor becomes a "Dictator" of policy and the final direction of things. I agree again..Threats are not something I take either!!

How could anything be has flawed as to allow less than 38% of anything to control the remainder? This is royally screwed up!!

This is without fail , the sadest circumstance imaginable...without having the doors closed entirely. That I'm afraid is next to come...and maybe it will come as a relief to some? , once they come to terms with that prospect. I for one have never kidded myself about this not being a viable option.or potential goal all along. I wonder who has found a backdoor method to line thier pockets by destroying us from within?

Just wait until Q1/03. I can hear it now..."loads are down, revenue is down, we need more MORE MORE." I have never been a conspiracy theorist, however I am becoming one now. This seems to be a plan to bring labor under thumb in our industry. I don't respond well to threats and intimidation but there is no end to them. Now we have RSA calling the shots. The threat of non-existence is not near as real now as it will be if things turn around. Remember, these folks at RSA are in the business of making a return on their investment, NOT running airlines. As soon as our usefulness is at an end, they will sell us to the highest bidder anyway. The only difference is, we will be working for less until the inevitable occurs.

Just my opinion,

A320 Driver

Either we eliminate the union featherbedding and demonstrate we can repay the loan or we go Chapter 7 and we all lose our jobs. How we got here is irrelavent, it's a business decision, nothing personal.

freedom,

Would you please define your use of the word "featherbedding" and give examples that can be checked from each of the work groups on the property?

The word feather-bedding originally was an early anti-Union description for jobs that were required to be performed by Union workers but were not really required.

Currently, most Arbitrators have given wide latitude to Management in the conduct of their business even when Management decisions have been shown to violate the CBA but were made out of an economic necessity.(Elkouri & Elkouri, How Arbitration Works; Chapter 13- Management Rights, pg. 672: ref-Otis Elevavator Co.)

Well, for the pilot group you could probably start defining featherbedding with the Reserve System. We run 40% reserves while other full service airlines run 25%. Nobody wants to talk about it though because any correction to it causes furloughs.

A320 Driver

David Bronner is now calling the shots and he's the only game in town. Either we play by his rules or the airline liquidates. Bronner seemed pretty straight forward in his New York Times interview regarding Chapter 7.

ALPA will likely hit its target number. The question is what will occur with the other unions? I understand the IAM and company negotiators will meet on Monday, which could be important, because on Thursday, December 12, the company will have its fourth Omnibus Hearing where we could see more unfolding news in bankruptcy court.

Chip