Streamline Boarding

One agent per flight ...... Gate css floats and covers special service counter, handles irregularities and over sales..
But not full flight participation the entire flight so there involvement is limited
ONE AGENT PER FLIGHT
GREAT agents have no more irregularities and over sales to handle
Are you for real

I agree, row boarding is the best. This new scanner, if it works flashes a memo that tells you to start tagging. Yeah right in the middle of working a flight by myself with only zone one and two printed and the rest is mayhem. I just pop "enter" and the little baggage icon goes bye-bye. It really is a joke and whoever thinks a computer can see we have extra bags is eating some big time ludes. Like we can run down to the aircraft and check it out with a mob scene at the podium, might I add "solo".

The time and money spent on this b.s. is hilarious.
Same as the time and money spent on the HHD program. That's still a mess.

BTW, what happened to the "guards" that were supposed to be posted before people went through TSA screening? Remember they said that if people tried to sneek through after check-in with more than the allowed carry-on bags they would be sent back to check them at the ticket counter. I don't recall that ever happened.

We've just added another ring to the circus.

From what I have witnessed, US's FA's are pretty darn skilled at packing those overheads and determining at what point to begin tagging all remaining carry-ons. What is wrong with letting your employees do their jobs? What is the reasoning behind ridiculous new policy?

Well...Thank you for the complement. We don't get many.

I don't know how they have the scanners rigged but I'm going to assume it's just counting people and we count rollerboards. After so many come onboard, depending on the aircraft size, we tell our pilots to call inside and inform the agents to start checking bags.

It works.

I suspect that I have an inkling into at least past of the process that is driving the arbitrary bag cutoff.

When I was a passenger service supervisor (well prior to the merger) there was a meeting of the PHX Hub Manager (or designee) and the managers (or designees) of passenger service, the ramp, inflight, maintenance and sometimes others. They had to review the circumstances concerning each and every late departure and review (and sometimes correct) the late code and responsible work group for each delay. This was an important meeting and it occurred at least five times a week and it was still occurring when I left the airline.

I'm sure we are all familiar with the basic theory of snowballs (or other things) roll downhill. Well another one is that manure sometimes floats. My point is that the further a management employee is removed from the line employees the less input they actually receive from line employees. In other words their information can often be filtered and the filtering is done by less senior management types whose jobs depend on either performance or political skills. Wrap into that the concept that management really isn't looking for career employees, pays accordingly, and therefore in the dark recesses of their minds don't trust front line employees.

If you look at those factors you can easily see where I am headed. They trust a piece of equipment more than they trust their own employees. They pay the employee squat, they value the employee squat and they trust the employee squat. So, just have a machine tell the human employee when to auto-check bags.

Didn't humans use to tell machines when to do things instead of vice-versa. Has anyone seen Pavolv's dog anywhere?

Point well taken HP.

And problem here is, the humans are not inputing the correct data.

And they will never have the correct data until they interface with the front line employees.

<_<

Or just do what many of us passengers do and take the checked bag tag off your bag after you walk a little bit down the jetway or right after you turn a corner if the gate agent happens to be watching (which is rare). Works every time.
I am with another airline and that made me remember one time while boarding a flight..I was helping the Lead up front with pre-departures and a little older lady gave me what she thought was someone's ticket the man ahead of her had 'dropped' in the jetbridge. it happened to be a baggage check tag from the gate, apparently from a gentleman's bag that was right ahead of her...for some reason just ended up torn off his bag and right onto the jetbridge floor! (imagine that)

he was determined to make that oversized bag fit in the bin, even though we had already told him by just looking at his bag it probably wont fit when he came on!

he ended up coming back up to first to 'check' the bag..the Lead asked him if he would like the baggage tag he left in the jetbridge or new one..

Bless her heart for finding that tag.. :lol:

I am with another airline and that made me remember one time while boarding a flight..I was helping the Lead up front with pre-departures and a little older lady gave me what she thought was someone's ticket the man ahead of her had 'dropped' in the jetbridge. it happened to be a baggage check tag from the gate, apparently from a gentleman's bag that was right ahead of her...for some reason just ended up torn off his bag and right onto the jetbridge floor! (imagine that)

he was determined to make that oversized bag fit in the bin, even though we had already told him by just looking at his bag it probably wont fit when he came on!

he ended up coming back up to first to 'check' the bag..the Lead asked him if he would like the baggage tag he left in the jetbridge or new one..

Bless her heart for finding that tag.. :lol:

I would have checked that bag through to Kabul.