Teddy And Jerry

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
Is US Airways gone?

One top union official from the "old" US Airways speaking at the Las Vegas World Aviation Forum had an interesting take on the recently completed merger between US Airways and America West. "I don't believe that US Airways survived," says Teddy Xidas, president of the US Airways Pittsburgh local chapter of the Association of Flight Attendants. "I believe America West survived. They took our name and some of our employees." But speaking on the same panel, Jerrold Glass, a former top human resources officer at the "old" US Airways, shot back. "It's hogwash," he said of Xidas' comments. "It's insulting to US Airways workers. It's our expectation that the overwhelming majority of (the airline's 25,000 employees) will continue to work at US Airways." Glass added that he thinks those workers now "have more stability and security then they've had in the last five years."

Is US Airways gone?

But speaking on the same panel, Jerrold Glass, a former top human resources officer at the "old" US Airways, shot back. "It's hogwash," he said of Xidas' comments. "It's insulting to US Airways workers. It's our expectation that the overwhelming majority of (the airline's 25,000 employees) will continue to work at US Airways." Glass added that he thinks those workers now "have more stability and security then they've had in the last five years."
It is insulting to all the small and medium stations that are outsource and the ones soon to be. And not to mention our lack of coustomer service call centers that are outcource.

Oh that Teddy! She's such a card! She's a media w e, who has never had anything
good about the company. She gets complaing and negotiating confused.

Whom or what has survived? , is purely a matter of perspective.

For those at MAA...its anything but survival

For those 24,000 former U employee's...is it survival?

For those in CCY without a "Golden Parachute" ..is it still survival?

For those whom are about to be shuffled out of the deck due to combining the two operations...is it survival?

Jerry Glass saying that Teddy's comments are "Hogwash and Insulting to the Employee's" has got to be the biggest bunch of manure ever spoken. Jerry Glass himself has been more than instrumental in insulting the former U employee's...and outright destroying a large number of lives during his tenure.

U's survival is a very debateable scenario...but I for one do not subscribe to the theory that AWA saved U's butt in any stand alone manner. Doug Parker himself speaks of further Industry consolidation ...So it was Merge or Perish for both parties. The marriage of U and AWA combined with whom both parties were in debt too....made this a natural combination , not a Take-Over has some at HP would like to believe

The situation could have manefested itself in any number of ways...as the Investors saw merit in having the two operations combined. The AWA man at the helm was the only logical choice. Doug brings youth and enthusiasm for the job....and U's Leadership in its final form was never in place for the long haul...and that's rings true of the last number of CEO's and Senior Execs that U has been stuck with for years.

I hope this scenario plays out for the good of all...and I'd like to see this combined operation grow....and bring back as many furloughed employee's as wish to return.

My take on this exchange between Teddy and Jerry is this....one is being overly negative for some obvious reasons. Look at whom she represents and where...and what has taken place , This is "hanging on" not survival. The others comments are overly positive...as its a spin , not an over-view of all the negatives that have taken place to even make this merger possible....again , this makes survival a matter of perspective and only the individual can evaluate for him / herself if they are surviving or not?

Funny, Jerry is.

He undoubtely believes his own BS. Sat next to Teddy on the panel and watched her at the Forum like a HAWK.

Survival is a matter of perspective.

He is forever saying "Teddy's conmments insult him. Why? Because he is making a name for himself by attempting to prove to the industry that you can do anything to employees, and they will buy into it with not a sqawk. Wrong! Wont get over it...won't forget it ...and won't let the industry forget it either.

The industry lost OVER 100,000 employees and 25% of those came from just one airline...US Airways. Survival? What about those 25,000 that lost their jobs, and what about those 5-7,000 on East side to lose their jobs? How many from the West will lose jobs? Answer: NONE. (and not that I want to see anyone lose one single job.)

However, the reality is many legacies have hired back all their furloughees except those that have been outsourced. Even United. USAirways hasn't hired any back and is still downsizing the East operation.

Only plan in town with a $2.5Billion cost savings from labor is a merger. Wowee.

Sorry Charlie. The investors bought into labor contract major savings from the East (they don't give two hoots about employees) and AWA managment, AWA BOD, AWA policies and some U-East employees (don't know how many in the long run) will still be here for the East operation. U is still dismantling their work force.

Jerry made a point to attempt to discredit Teddy...while she got a standing ovation in the room.

Nice try Jerry G.

BTW, Many, many vendors and industry folks were there and never knew Labor's side. Teddy told it and the room came alive. No pontification; just hard cold facts of psychological war games, deceit disquised as exaggerations and fabrication, threats, demoralization, disrespect of the labor groups and dismantling. Loyal employees totally taken off guard in concession #1 lead by their sincere dedication to helping thier company.

Cats out of the bag. Severe Labor cost reductions do not ensure survivability. Very hard to actually KILL an airline. Gov. make sure they intervene one way or another. And obviously the "free pass" in bk, everyone will use as the race to the bottom continues.

Only thing I personally witnessed out of this process is that USAirways is the first one out of the gate.

I believe BK legislative reform is on its way.

Outsourcing was talked about and the Forum was spectacular event, I'm told. International CEOs of other airlines like China, Canada, France... shared perspecftive. Heard Teddy gave her usual negative analysis of "outsourcing". Wish I was there, heard she captivated the entire audiance.

Nonetheless, Teddy sat with Jerry, and even Doug Parker for dinner. Again, they were very watchful LOL... :p

Life is good.

Great Post PITbull!! :up: :up:

Now I guess its time for Hawk's take on the situation.......and by the way Hawk, what about those employee's of MDA who were hung out to dry? :down:

...unless you are part of "MidAtlantic." :shock:

My thoughts exactly, LY. The MidAtlantic debacle has got to be one of the most disappointing, and most demoralizing experiences ever for these employees. (and that's saying something with this company) The red-headed step-child that the company won't claim and the union won't defend. How sad.

I believe BK legislative reform is on its way.

Not with this administration, it isn't. Corporations are free to kick as many rank-and-file employees to the curb as they please and then go to the bankruptcy courts and have their debt slate wiped clean, as often as they want, and then turn around and give multi-million dollar bonuses the the kickers. The kickees, now, are unable to have their debt slate wiped clean without jumping through major hurdles and possibly losing their homes.

DCflyer,

Very well said.

Believe me, Teddy brought up your exact sentiments loud and clear.

The investors paid for our well known International name, and our network. Those management types that became part of the management generals and leutinants were offered jobs if they were willing to transfer to the exotic "Tempe" desert. If your labor, you keep your job because of seniority.

I would have loved to have attended that conference to see Teddy speak.

I just read an article about outsourcing, which basically said that in most cases it is a mistake, and costs more than it saves most of the time. In a best case scenario, savings aren't realized for the first three years, and it can be a total disaster......

We have been basically saying this for a long time-I will try to put up a link if I can find the article again.

Let's see how many MORE jobs are brought back inside, in addition to the 30 Preferred Res Agents...

My best to you all....

Teddy also brought up the hypocritical dichotomy with the Public in regard to workers and families losing their homes and employment caused by natural disasters. Considering natural disasters and the effects it has on the people in the region with respect to property loss and job losses, American public is so empathetic and sympathetic to the needs of the people and think nothing of donating hundreds of millions of dollars to assist folks in getting back on their feet from the likes of Katrina and Rita. But when it comes to hundreds of thousands of job losses, folks losing their property and barely making anything to support their families from man-made self inflicted BK, the public can't give two cents with concern. Corporate BK are man-made disasters to vendors and communities in which they serve, and no one wants to talk about this. Its deeemed as acceptable corporate culture masked as a restructuring effort.

What about Corporate social responsibility? Why is there none? Why is labor's voice being shut out about their loss in retirement, wage , and benefits? Why is Corporate bk (which is inflationary and a tax payer burden acceptable corporate behavior? Why isn't BK used as a last resort instead of the first response? AWA and USAirways wiped out 3 sets of share holders, vendor contracts and creditors in the past 10-12 years in a deregulated environment, and this is obviously acceptable.

Teddy posed these questions to the audiance.

The flying public has a lack of education and has not connected the dots. If fuel prices go up, fares need to go up as well. The premise of deregulated industry and market forces dictating who survives does not work in our industry when the government intervenes. Again, its extremely difficult to kill an airline...they have 9 lives. There are no airlines that have liquidated since post 9/11 or created by 9/11. This concept of being or having the lowest cost carrier is deceptive to the public. Rationalizing fares is more respnsible and the public will accept this concept if educated through pricing fares correctly and responsibly. Putting an a/c in the air knowing your losing money to the point of BK is irresponsiblity not only to the employees who work for the company, but to the customer, community, shareholders, and investors. This is not a business plan.

Latest posts