The Future Fleet At Aa

FWAAA said:
But 1597 miles is too short a flight for a 777 to be efficient?  Come on, now. How many miles is required to fly a 777 efficiently?  B)
Delta flies a 777 from ATL to MCO and it's only 403 miles. So I guess the answer to your question is under 500? Flight #63 departs @ 11:35am.

FWAAA your forecasts sound a bit out of tune with what AA management may want to do and what is really going on in the external enviroment that is causing AA to change to way its operates. The reason I can think of right now why AA operates the A300's is the cargo hold, the good deal they got from Airbus Co. and the fact that they can transport a large numeber of passengers for a short trip.

Your suggestion that AA convert some of the 777s to a 2 class config. does not fly with me. First of all you pointed out that in the past AA flew its DC-10s into their transcons and Hawaii routes and that it can do the same by using a 2 class 777 but you have to realise that in those 'good ole days' the price of being inefficent and having large numbers of different fleets and subfleets within those fleets were passed on to the business passengers who paid the higher fare to absord those high costs and at present the market for that type passenger is almost gone and AA must simplify and swim or continue using that 'old school method' and sink. Secondly what sense would it make for AA to convert 30 or 40 of thoes planes to fly just a few high densesity routes when there is no market to fill those 300+seats, you suggest that AA cut back the number of flights since it is leasure but you must realize that some of these markets have business pax you want more flights.

I can't see UAL going out of business, I know they have major issues at the moment but I believe that UAL will still be in business mainly due to its good route network. Last of all the 777s will be way too big for transcon flying especially with LCCs dumping capacity in those type of flights.

The reason DAL has the ATL-MCO flight is so pilots remain qualified in their landings. AA does this with repositioning flights from MIa-DFw, DFW-ORD, LAX-MIA and others I can't remember.

Japanesse airlines operate 777 in Japan very ineffiecently, 777-300 seat close to 400 people. I don't know how many hours this birds spend in the air but, 6 hours a day sounds right.

777-200ER is AA international airplane, it is configured with all the extras for 7 hours to LHR and 13 to NRT, EZE & GRU out of Miami too, ETOPS ecquipment, extra galleys to serve 2 or 3 meals a trip, entertainment systems; this airplane is the 747 for the new millenium with 2 engine effieciency. IF you want 2 class 777's, Thai air has a few for sale already to go, 8 seats across in Club class with Rolls Trent engines. Hopefully the day AA uses a 777 from SJU it will be to Mad or London.

Thought the 767-200's were all parked and out of service. No mention of them on the fleet page of the American Way magazine either.

but I do still see them shown in the fleet "Our Planes" on the AA website, and last Tuesday I saw one parked at the gate at SFO, so obviously they are still flying at least some of them.

Anyone got the details on this?

Thanks,

mAArky

MrMarky said:
Thought the 767-200's were all parked and out of service. No mention of them on the fleet page of the American Way magazine either.

but I do still see them shown in the fleet "Our Planes" on the AA website, and last Tuesday I saw one parked at the gate at SFO, so obviously they are still flying at least some of them.

Anyone got the details on this?

Thanks,

mAArky
I believe that all 8 of the 767-200 (non-ER models) plus 6 more 767-200ERs are parked so that AA could defer heavy maintenance. IIRC, they were parked late in 2002 or early last year as cash became critical. Rumor has it that they may return to service earlier than anticipated as AA's finances improve.

Since AA owns 29 762s, 15 of them (all ERs) have been flying transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO) and sometimes JFK-MIA all the while.

My money is on an early return of the parked 767s.

MrMarky------Yes, Some of them are still flying! One of the few things we still do here at the old TWA/aa overhaul Base here at MCI, is the heavy, and light 'C"checks, on the 767-200s!!! :p

Thanks guys! I also noticed in the AA website seating charts that all of the 767-300's are apparently 2-class configuration, while the -200's are all 3-class.

Also glad to see that MCI is getting some of the 767 work.

Take care,

mAArky

The wide body flying is not the most important question right now. The real question for labor at AA is where the replacement of the F100 flying goes. Does it stay at AA or does Mr. Arpey try to dumb-down those jobs it to AE or AE compesation?

Winglet said:
The wide body flying is not the most important question right now. The real question for labor at AA is where the replacement of the F100 flying goes. Does it stay at AA or does Mr. Arpey try to dumb-down those jobs it to AE or AE compesation?
My guess is that a LOT of the former F100 flying will go to AE--particularly after they get the 70-seater in quantity. BHM (my hometown) used to get 3 F100s/day. Now it's 3 S80s. However, the last time I flew to BHM, I was the only passenger in F/C, and main cabin was about 1/2 full. I suspect that down the road the company will say that traffic doesn't justify mainline service and turn the station over to AE.

Of course, the fact that you can fly a lot of places (including LAS and LGA) nonstop from BHM on other airlines, and you can only go to DFW on AA has nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

Latest posts