The Future of LCC.

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
What will/can be the future of LCC?

I was impressed with their $$ performance, and continue to be impressed with DP, who "seems" to have somewhat of a visionary streak in him.

Will they continue to thrive in their current capacity.

If NOT successful in merging/consolidating with a NW, or DL, what do/can they do.

DL has already said "Thanks, but no thanks", and IF NW is interested in "cohabitating" with someone, how does LCC out maneuver(SP?) AA ?

(The SAFEST wager anyone can make/win, is that AA will be "all over" any NW/Asia routes, that "may" become available) !!

This is fast becoming a very interesting situation !!

?????????

NH/BB's

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mr. Moderator,

Please move this new topic to US Airways, where I intended it to be !!

:shock: :shock: (I can't believe I posted this in the wrong place) :blink: :shock: :down: :ph34r:

Thanx,

NH/BB's

I was impressed with their $$ performance, and continue to be impressed with DP, who "seems" to have somewhat of a visionary streak in him.

Will they continue to thrive in their current capacity.

If NOT successful in merging/consolidating with a NW, or DL, what do/can they do.

DL has already said "Thanks, but no thanks", and IF NW is interested in "cohabitating" with someone, how does LCC out maneuver(SP?) AA ?

(The SAFEST wager anyone can make/win, is that AA will be "all over" any NW/Asia routes, that "may" become available) !!

This is fast becoming a very interesting situation !!
?????????

NH/BB's
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mr. Moderator,

Please move this new topic to US Airways, where I intended it to be !!

:shock: :shock: (I can't believe I posted this in the wrong place) :blink: :shock: :down: :ph34r:

Thanx,

NH/BB's

==========================================================

My apologies folks, I put this well meaning post on DL by mistake. :shock: (I need to use my glasses at ALL times) !!!!!

NH/BB's

LCC will become the equivalent of a black hole. A black hole that sucks other airlines into it, bringing down pay scales and reducing benefits of all the poor souls who get sucked in.
story.black.holes.jpg

Our performance in financial terms has been very impressive. I agree with you about the "visonary streak". He is exactly what AWA and now US Airways needed during this most difficult time in the industry for 35K employees. So far history will be written on his finanicial wisdom. How will history write about his ability to work with labor and bring about labor peace? Stay tuned.

Well you first have to decide if NWA will emerge from C11. If your answer is YES I think they stay "Single"

If you believe the only way they survive in any way is a merger, then ask yourself who has the most to gain/lose? US is a real player IMO in this scenario.

If NWA goes to C7 I don't think anyone outbids AA for Asia/Pacific rim routes. The balance could end up with US at fire sale prices.

==========================================================

I agree "PB", so lets look at "this puppy" from the angle that NW emerges, gets exit $$$, and stays "single", what then does LLC do ??

With a (fairly) young visionary like Parker, LLC HAS to grow Internationally(No easy task if no one is selling)!!

NH/BB's

Does US really need more capacity? Are more hubs the answer?

Not that I want to see a NW liquidation or a merger with them or discuss their demise, but since we're playing what if....

Regarding the question at hand.
You dont take the 9s. Leaves A330s/757/Airbus
747s go to AA with Pac routes.
MEM- gone (move any leftover traffic from here to CLT) This should help improve yields in many SE markets where NW/US offer competing services (and I'm sure DL/FL wouldnt mind either)
DTW- basically what it is now/ and replacement for PHL domestic conx since it has the room and not as many of the problems as PHL. Better O&D than PIT and not that far West to cause a problem with NE-Florida or NE-SE conx as overflow in certain markets from CLT.
MSP- upper Midwest hub/ East West conx. Since its in the middle, the flight times would be complimentary to the far West coast banks used in PHX/LAS from both the East and West.
Gives PHL the chance to become O&D and Caribbean/ Transatlantic conx city. Focus on the $ with these concerns and any conx there are a bonus.
CLT- Pump it up as much as you can with SE/NE and SE/Midwest conx. Any old NW cities that used to hub in MEM, and were worth it, get moved to CLT.
PHX stays as it is with intraWest and West/East transcon flights.
LAS- late night hub and some transcon conx.
PIT- keep what works $ wise for O&D, any conx left over is a bonus. If it doesnt make money O&D, cut it.

That means CLT/DTW/MSP/PHX as hubs with PHL/LAS as special purpose hubs and DCA/LGA/BOS as focus cities.
JMO.

What I have seen lately on the PHX ramp has created an imbalance in my humors, leading to an increase in my yellow bile humor. What I need is a good bloodletting by leeches.
i know this is`off topic and i don't mean any disrespect. but why that avatar? :ph34r:

MEM- gone (move any leftover traffic from here to CLT) This should help improve yields in many SE markets where NW/US offer competing services (and I'm sure DL/FL wouldnt mind either).

JMO.

I think it interesting that AA gets the Pacific routes and a/c seems to be a foregone conclusion on the boards these days. I am assuming that this is due to our stash of cash. UAL has one almost as large, but since they already have a substantial position in the Orient, I guess everyone is assuming that the gummint wouldn't stand for them to have almost a monopoly in the market.

Lord knows, I wouldn't mind if it happened. We could get the rest of our furloughees recalled. And, those as wants 'em can have those 14-15 hour flights. I'm a good traveler, but I know when my wife and I flew LAX-SYD in '95, I was ready to get off the airplane when we landed. And, if I have to work a STL-SFO or LAX or SEA, I'm ready for the flight to end about an hour before we actually get there.

Other point...
Are you assuming that the "evil empire" :lol: (aka SWA) will not move to fill some/all of the vacuum left by failure of NWA domestic? I don't know if they would be at all interested in the MEM-BHM type markets, but...

Not that I want to see a NW liquidation or a merger with them or discuss their demise, but since we're playing what if....

Regarding the question at hand.
You dont take the 9s. Leaves A330s/757/Airbus
MEM- gone (move any leftover traffic from here to CLT) This should help improve yields in many SE markets where NW/US offer competing services (and I'm sure DL/FL wouldnt mind either)
DTW- basically what it is now/ and replacement for PHL domestic conx since it has the room and not as many of the problems as PHL. Better O&D than PIT and not that far West to cause a problem with NE-Florida or NE-SE conx as overflow in certain markets from CLT.
MSP- upper Midwest hub/ East West conx. Since its in the middle, the flight times would be complimentary to the far West coast banks used in PHX/LAS from both the East and West.
Gives PHL the chance to become O&D and Caribbean/ Transatlantic conx city. Focus on the $ with these concerns and any conx there are a bonus.
CLT- Pump it up as much as you can with SE/NE and SE/Midwest conx. Any old NW cities that used to hub in MEM, and were worth it, get moved to CLT.
PHX stays as it is with intraWest and West/East transcon flights.
LAS- late night hub and some transcon conx.
PIT- keep what works $ wise for O&D, any conx left over is a bonus. If it doesnt make money O&D, cut it.

That means CLT/DTW/MSP/PHX as hubs with PHL/LAS as special purpose hubs and DCA/LGA/BOS as focus cities.
JMO.

tadjr,

Not the post(by YOU) that I would have expected, since it gives a (I want to play with the BIG boys) US, ZERO Asia, and a TON of domestic, which EVERYONE knows the secret to success is ASIA, SA, and Europe.
(Yes I agree, that those destinations need good domestic feed) !!

????