The Right to Organize defended

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
With the announcement and determination that the NMB has ordered a fleet service election has come seemingly more back room dealings between the IAM and the TWU.

I do not pretend to be privy to such babblings, however, at all cost I think civil rights ought to be recognized. This may mean different things to different people. So the 'District Courts' may have to decide if some things come to pass.
For the IAM and TWU it may mean that a marriage between them will satisfy the right to organize. I disagree with that and have been 'advised' that it may not be as clear cut as the IAM/TWU believe.

FWIW: Based on 'some variables' I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is dragged on for months/years and involve the NMB, IAM, TWU, District Courts.

As I have said from the beginning, there should be a 3rd box, an election, and all those eligible should be allowed to participate. I hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling that the IAM/TWU will restrict some of the above and maybe with NMB blessing.

The NMB has lost before and additional letter will be drafted and sent to the NMB by the end of the week.

regards,

Tim, has there been any cases where the NMB has ordered an election, then withdrawn?
Most FSA's I have spoken with are delighted to have the opportunity to get rid of this iam. :up:
Can you or someone else provide some insight on what may happen if the NMB reneges on its order?

Tim, has there been any cases where the NMB has ordered an election, then withdrawn?
Most FSA's I have spoken with are delighted to have the opportunity to get rid of this iam. :up:
Can you or someone else provide some insight on what may happen if the NMB reneges on its order?

Unit4CLT,

Good questions. My understanding is that a letter will be drafted and reviewed then sent to the NMB. There has actually been previous cases where unions did marry, however, possibly not challenged in the way that this one may be. To be sure, this seems to be newer groundbreaking in which a TWU/IAM marriage may be subject to a plausible legal fight.

At least one of the contentions is that the TWU's showing of interest isn't enough for the NMB to give recognition for them to represent a 'craft'. Single carrier ruling comes into play also.
Lastly, the order itself recognized a representational dispute and the board would possibly be disenfranchising those workers who had the right to vote for 'other' or be non-represented.
I am not an attorney but my understanding is that some things have to come to pass before any of this can be possible.

Also, I don't believe the IBT has enough cards for mechanics and I look for the NMB to make a ruling against the IBT in that craft 'soon'. If the IBT does not gain enough support for mechanics then I have heard in 'breakfast clubs' that the IBT may go from a passive participant in the fleet service dispute to an official one. I have no further comment regarding this at this time.

Again, none of this will come to pass if the IAM/TWU can successfully pull off a marriage.

In the meantime, I suggest you and your coworkers get ready for an election.

regards,

Thanks for the information. Did'nt the iam file for single carrier status? How then could we have two unions representing FSA'S?

Thanks for the information. Did'nt the iam file for single carrier status? How then could we have two unions representing FSA'S?

Company recognition is a precedent. That would be the surest way. The employees were not involved in determining the CWA/IBT representation certification because US AIRWAYS voluntarily recognized it to keep the contract secure.

It could happen with the ramp and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the TWU withdraws its cards and both unions go to the company sometime soon to preserve the judge abrogated bankrupt contract. It is the best contract your company ever saw.
I look for something to break within 24 hours.

regards,

TWU WITHDRAWS REPRESENTATION APPLICATION FOR FLEET SERVICE WORKERS

May 9, 2006

The company was notified today by the National Mediation Board (NMB) that the TWU has withdrawn its application for representation of about 8,000 Fleet Service workers at the merged US Airways. The NMB has therefore canceled the Fleet Service representation election and indicated that a "determination addressing the representation issues in this case will follow shortly." While any decision on representation is up to the NMB, our understanding of NMB procedures is that, in cases like this, the Board will extinguish the certification of the union withdrawing its application (the TWU), and extend the certification of the remaining union (IAM) to be the representative of all Fleet Service employees at the merged carrier. The TWU represents pre-merger America West fleet service employees; the IAM represents pre-merger US Airways employees.

Sad Day For the 8000 FS Worker's,Good Luck in the Future Court room appearance's, MWW

Latest posts