Travel Policy Poll

The biggest concern over the travel policy is Senority vs FCFS (First Come First Serve). What do you

• Total voters

Kittyhawk

May 11, 2008
I'm not bothered either way, I've traveled both ways, and it has never been much of an issue, however If I had a choice, I think the person that has given more to the company in the form of time should go before the person who was able to check in online at the earliest possible moment.

I would be willing to give up the seniority system if we can keep the cost structure of US. Travel is free for everyone even International (with the exception of custom taxes). Upgrades to first are only $20 domestic and $100 international.

Reactions: 4 people
There's quite legitimate arguments for both. If I've been around for 30 years I damn well better not get bumped by some new hire flying two States over just to use their benefits. On the flip side, if I'm a newer employee it's complete and total BS that I have benefits that I can't use because of all those people that have been here forever and should have retired a decade ago.

Both systems are fair. Both systems make people feel screwed over. I'll lean towards time of checkin simply because it puts things in the travelers zone of control. If you want to be a sure as possible of getting on, check in ASAP. It's just not cool to be ready to go and get checked in hours before a flight only to have someone that was a crew for a 707 (or worse, a Constellation)stroll up 90 minutes before departure and take your seat.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe a real discount on tickets. Not this 20% junk. Also do away with how many people are allowed to non-rev.

Reactions: 1 person
On the flip side, if I'm a newer employee it's complete and total BS that I have benefits that I can't use because of all those people that have been here forever and should have retired a decade ago. It's just not cool to be ready to go and get checked in hours before a flight only to have someone that was a crew for a 707 (or worse, a Constellation)stroll up 90 minutes before departure and take your seat.

Typed like a true Gen X'er punk who could care less what it means to work hard and be a loyal employee for decades!

Later,
Eye

There's quite legitimate arguments for both. If I've been around for 30 years I damn well better not get bumped by some new hire flying two States over just to use their benefits. On the flip side, if I'm a newer employee it's complete and total BS that I have benefits that I can't use because of all those people that have been here forever and should have retired a decade ago.

Both systems are fair. Both systems make people feel screwed over. I'll lean towards time of checkin simply because it puts things in the travelers zone of control. If you want to be a sure as possible of getting on, check in ASAP. It's just not cool to be ready to go and get checked in hours before a flight only to have someone that was a crew for a 707 (or worse, a Constellation)stroll up 90 minutes before departure and take your seat.

Am i missing something from you? You actually get a seat 90 minutes before departure?........You think we are Fkn stupid?

Hows about we give you better vacation according to " Bid Time". Then everybody can camp out in front of the managers office for a week like " Black Friday"

The Usairways policy is not a strict seniority DOH policy because a two days of service employee on a SA1P can bump a 46 years of service employee on the SA3P. Thus the Usairways policy is an attempt at blending.

Of special concern is the manner in which the American or Usairways policy treats the retired employee because this sets the tone of our corporate culture. Retired employees earned it before we earned it.

Some form of both policies should be done like 1 hour before depature it's FCFS so no bumping allowed by senior people & all senior people must be checked in nore thab 1 hour before depature. I beleive it makes it fair and keep the priority boarding in place at USairways

I'm not bothered either way, I've traveled both ways, and it has never been much of an issue, however If I had a choice, I think the person that has given more to the company in the form of time should go before the person who was able to check in online at the earliest possible moment.

I would be willing to give up the seniority system if we can keep the cost structure of US. Travel is free for everyone even International (with the exception of custom taxes). Upgrades to first are only $20 domestic and $100 international.

Ditto to this.
I've done it both ways. Equal pros and cons to both.
The priority doesn't matter as much as the cost.
And keep the SA1Ps.
Also, retired employees should never go ahead of active, as is now the case for retired FAs, who travel SA3P with their original hire date.

Possibly they can find a way to blend the 2...don't ask me how, cause I don't know. I would however like to see the retirees treated better. If it's seniority based, give them seniority. If it's FCFS, honor it for them as well

Ditto to this.
I've done it both ways. Equal pros and cons to both.
The priority doesn't matter as much as the cost.
And keep the SA1Ps.
Also, retired employees should never go ahead of active, as is now the case for retired FAs, who travel SA3P with their original hire date.

as usual, the retired employees that helped build the company and kept it going for the new people get kicked to the curb. this is why I purchase tickets now. I still have to work because my airline retirement is crap and I don't have all the free time you think I do to wait around on low priority non-rev status.

How sweet it would be if Doug did like the Delta/NW merger where they gave all the active employees 2 positive space tickets anywhere the new combined airline flew! I know..keep dreaming

blackmagic i believe we used to do that pre 9/11 and pre hp merger i could be wrong but i thought the company used to do that. may be after the merger may be they would do that hopefully but its ok to dream too

blackmagic i believe we used to do that pre 9/11 and pre hp merger i could be wrong but i thought the company used to do that. may be after the merger may be they would do that hopefully but its ok to dream too

Perfect attendance for a year

Latest posts