TWU negotiations.........what?

Playing the victim.....now there's an MO for you!!!

So, this guy, finding the discussion has passed him, resorts to yet another ad hominum snipe.

Please, contribute something that advances the discussion. Agree or disagree, anything, but contribute something a little better than schoolgirl personal attacks.

We need to stay focused on the real issues and steer away from the statistics of how stations voted. The underlying causes of our problems stems primarily from our lack of proper leadership and representation. I fear the TWU more than the company. I expect no less from the company and I expect more from my representation. But when the two work together I am suppose to expect no less again? The TWU is an undebated comapny union. The whole enviroment and what unions stood for has changed. The TWU is on the forefront of this philosophy. maybe it looks good in the newspaper and with the company but the membersand their families are continualy feeling the negative effects of their decisions. Are the TWU Executives sharing in the pain as we are? They still enjoy their full compensation. So I ask " who is really sharing in the scarifice"? Talk amongst yourselves.....

Next subjects: When is enough...enough.
Changes only happen with rebellion
When all options have failed, then labor
will decide it's time to fight back!

Apparently the "negotiations" have already ended and now all the TWU has to do is sell the "NEW" contract to the membership. This is your new contract that Tulsa,MCI, and probably AFW will vote YES for.

6% raise at start of contract :down:
Six years duration :down:
1.5% raise per year :down:
Sick pay restored, but still only 5 days accrual per year
One week of vacation restored
Two restored holidays: Memorial Day,Day after Thanksgiving

Apparently the "negotiations" have already ended and now all the TWU has to do is sell the "NEW" contract to the membership. This is your new contract that Tulsa,MCI, and probably AFW will vote YES for.

6% raise at start of contract :down:
Six years duration :down:
1.5% raise per year :down:
Sick pay restored, but still only 5 days accrual per year
One week of vacation restored
Two restored holidays: Memorial Day,Day after Thanksgiving

As I asked a union official some time back - "Why did Dennis Burchette have to leave the local 6 months early to "practice" for negotiations when all that needs to be asked of the company is 'What improvements did you have in mind over the contract as it stood on 13 April 2003?'"

<_< ----Bear it's real easy to call people "Cowards" when your retired, sitting back in your easy chair,with your computor, and looking at it in hindsight! I can't speak for those in TUL, but maybe I can give you a little insight on what went on here at MCI.---- If you remember at that time the "Overhaul Base" was on AA's hit list, and everyone know it! I have no doubt in my mind that, at that time, AA had every intention of shutting us down. Now remember, under Kasher's ruling, if that happened, most would have nowhere to go but the street. Remeber,these are people in their fifties, and early sixties! And jobs ,that paid enough to support ones family, were, and still are, almost nonexistent! So under those circumstances, maybe voting "yes' took more courage than you realize!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MCI,

Yes, I'm retired...and to a large degree i understand your point.

However, If I had still been working at that time, MAKE NO MISTAKE, the threat of BK would have NOT scared me ONE BIT.

If during BK, AA had closed my very small NE station, I would have bid into JFK, worked (mostly) Wide bodys all day, and "worked safely" = equal to a "caterpiller crawling" !!

What can I say.
I guess some men can "swallow there own VOMIT, after they look in the mirror"
I can't, and the vast majority of guys I've worked with over the years, could'nt either !!!

NH/BB's

People at the top of seniority lists in their respective titles have nothing to worry about. Imagine if AA had pulled a Circuit City :p .

People at the top of seniority lists in their respective titles have nothing to worry about.

Nope. Quite the contrary. Last time, the high time guys had their retirement cut more than the low time guys. The only thing that seniority protects is layoffs. I was hit by each and every one of the TWU capitulations.

People at the top of seniority lists in their respective titles have nothing to worry about. Imagine if AA had pulled a Circuit City :p .
Where do you think they got the idea from? They cut pay and took away benifits just like Circut City did.

There is a motion being put forward to have all line stations combined under what seems to me to be a "super" president who would represent all line stations. How this would be done or even if it can is debateable. What would be the role of local e-boards? Or for that matter vp's and even stewards?

"super" president
I don't believe I've ever seen a twu president that would qualify for the "super" name tag. :shock: I guess the goal would be to have 1 major sellout, as compared to a dozen of them. ;) Less people for the company to payoff, I guess we can call it Lean unionism.

The line station "super president" will be appointed by Jim Little. He is already working on it. The finalists are all from line cargo. :(

There is a motion being put forward to have all line stations combined under what seems to me to be a "super" president who would represent all line stations. How this would be done or even if it can is debateable. What would be the role of local e-boards? Or for that matter vp's and even stewards?

This was discussed a few years ago. It will not happen. each Local is autonomous.

Sure it could be done. FAs, Pilots and other unions that represent ground workers have one local.

Local E-boards would be redundant. Stewards would still be needed.

The fact is that we should look to combine limited resources, whats the point of having so many Locals? Does it improve representation? Well the results speak for themselves dont they?

It was on the topics list of the 562 meeting announcement, I'm sure it can be done. However, without real authority to check the intl. I don't see the point. Though I think even the guys in the intl. know something has to be delivered or this is it. Unless there is a recession or sharp downturn, even the co. sucka$$es won't go along with another 5-6 year deal with the usual 1.5% There are enough guys pushing 60 who can bail at any rate and most of the young guys have set themselves up with a plan B.