TWU or IAM in a Merger

chellow

Advanced
Sep 26, 2010
I’m so disgusted with the TWU pushing this merger, that I may even vote for the IAM. What can I lost, I’ll be losing everything with the merger. The only benefit for voting for the IAM is that those FAT CATS at the international don’t benefit.

Well, the IAM didn't do squat for the f/as... regardless of union, it is simply about the dues and being able to secure the highest paying position. Before you champion the IAM PLEASE read their International C&B. There is no autonomy...none. You have to vote for other Locals in your District and because you won't know those running, the IAM will "help" you..ie: a white ballot. If you vote down a contract and the Grand Poopaw thinks it is in the best interest of the whole, he can over ride the will of the membership. Notice I said HE..God forbid that there would be a woman Grand Poopaw.

Well, the IAM didn't do squat for the f/as... regardless of union, it is simply about the dues and being able to secure the highest paying position. Before you champion the IAM PLEASE read their International C&B. There is no autonomy...none. You have to vote for other Locals in your District and because you won't know those running, the IAM will "help" you..ie: a white ballot. If you vote down a contract and the Grand Poopaw thinks it is in the best interest of the whole, he can over ride the will of the membership. Notice I said HE..God forbid that there would be a woman Grand Poopaw.

I posted my comment due only to the passion of the moment, I’ve been represented by the IAM before, and I’ll tell you I don’t like them neither, but I feel betrayed by the TWU right now.

You are right the IAM did nothing for the TWA FAs or ground workers, and the CO FAs feared the same would happen. I know several CO FAs that are glad the IAM is gone but aren't glad to be a part of the AFA, they'd rather be non-union and do the job because they like flying and interacting with the passengers. The Local Lodge president of 2339N is a real POS, the IAM doesn't care about their members they seem them as expendable dues payers.

Josh

The whole idea is that the twu wants you to split the vote between the IAM and the AMFA
dilute the votes and the true twu believers (those that voted yes) will again win by a slight margin to retain the worthless unaccountable unelected leaders on the property. Sign am AMFA card and do not vote for either the twu or the iam

If enough of the US Air AMTs & Related sign AMFA authorization cards along with what are already signed at AA now - AMFA gets put on the ballot for which union will represent us after the merger. That way the US Air people are rid of the IAM, and AAs AMTs are finally rid of the TWU!

I hate them both but IAM was better. The lesser of the 2 evils!!!!!! I worked for PHI 27 years ago with no union, I hate to say it but I'd vote for that. Sick of unions

The IBT drive could have a lot to do with the possible merger with US and the fact it could spark an election between the TWU and IAM.

In a merger there is no automatic winner when there are two unions on the property. No 50%+1 showing of interest needed.

So if the merger does take place there will likely be an election between TWU and the IAM. There is bad blood between the two stemming from the US/America West merger and the brawl that broke out in PHL which resulted in injuries and lawsuits. There is also bad blood between the IBT and IAM stemming from IBT raids on the IAM. The IBT maintained that the IAM was lowering industry standards and putting their members at risk as justification for conducting a Raid within the AFL-CIO.

The deal mechanics have in place passed by one quarter of one percent, and with the early out odds are that the majority of workers who remain voted against the deal. So there is undoubtably a lot of dissatisfaction at AA with the TWU at this time.

AA has a sizable number of Ex IAM guys from EAL and TWA, most of whom speak favorably about the IAM compared to the TWU.

I doubt the TWU has any support amongst the mechanics at USAIR. Falling under the TWU contract would mean the loss of Vacation, Holidays and sick time, three important issues for the average 55 year old mechanic. The IAM will undoubtably educate them as to the Kasher Award and likely claim thats what the TWU would do to them. (And the TWU would claim that if the IAM got in all the TWA guys would get all their seniority back) Not saying that USAIR mechanics are happy with the IAM either, I'm sure there is a lot of dissatisfaction there as well but I do not believe that the TWU would be able to reap any benefit from their dissatisfaction, after all their currently amendable deal is better than the deal we are locked into for the next six years.

So if there were a vote between the two IMO the odds favor the IAM, despite the fact they are the smaller unit, this is where the IBT comes in. Whats the best way for an incumbant to stay in power? Multiple opponents who split the vote of dissatisfaction.

If rumors of an IBT -TWU merger are true then this strategy makes even more sense, as a vote for the IBT, which is a vote against the incumbant would, unknown to the voter in effect be a vote in favor of the incumbant for those at AA and against the incumbant at USAIR.What is really a two way race would appear to be a three way race. The IBT would pick up most of the dissatisfied mechanics from both USAIR, and AA, and if they are merging anyway then its a win for the TWU.

In the past the IBT clearly stated that they were not interested in organizing AA mechanics, even stating so in writing, and have not expressed any interest in any other group. Its odd that an industrial Union would raid another industrial union but on a craft basis. Given that the IBT and TWU have collaborated on trying to organize MROs, and I havent heard that those who were assigned to that project have returned to the floor, so the program appears to still be in place, it seems odd that despite the raid there are no hard feeling like we normally see in a raid. The IBT changed from not wanting the AA mechanics to wanting the AA mechanics after it came out about a possible merger with USAIR. A merger which could spark an election between the TWU and IAM.

One need not look too hard to realize that all is not as it seems.

Of course if AMFA gets on the same ballott then the whole thing is up for grabs. AA and US mechanics occupy the bottom of the industry, and not by just a little, the gap is HUGE. Larger than any gap that has ever existed between the legacies. That may explain why a raiding IBT does not criticize the union they are "raiding" and instead goes after a Union thats not on the property and why the Union thats being raided by two organizations only goes after one.

when i was with twa we were iam and hated them didnt think there could be a worse union. as a mech we were lumped in with the ramp. so if we got a 10 % percent raise the ramp had to get a 10% raise and so forth. things did get better towards the end when we got into the iam pension plans. but at the time i thought the iam sucked, until aa took us over and we were introduced to the twu, then i dreamed of the day where we could be iam again. i have never saw a more pathetic union than the twu. and i tell you one thing the twu does nothing for the aa natives, and being x twa its even worse. its pretty sad when the company treats you better than your own union. i would support anyone over the twu, even going non union. my family has always been teamsters and i was teamsters at a couple of other jobs and from what i know i like them best. but i also never had them as a airline employee. as for amfa i really didnt want them because they didnt give a rats ass about overhaul. but now that i am out of afw and the only overhaul left is in tulsa and i am going to be working line in ord, they are not a bad option, lol.

You werent lumped in with the ramp at TWA, you had your own CBA, Ramp and Mechanics are never on the same CBA as its different class and craft.

If a merger were to happen and the NMB rules are still the same as it was back with the TWA/AA acquisition then there will be no run off election. The IAM conceded to the TWU because the TWU and IAM knew that AMFA would have won the runoff with a fill in choice. The word probably came down from the AFL-CIO for the IAM to concede. The AFL-CIO had more to lose if both IAM and TWU were voted out. So if the rules are the same then there will be no run off. AMFA would win again. My Guess? Not really if you follow all the issues with AA and USAir. Both sides are ready for change. Teamsters? Not. They are only here at AA for a diversionary drive to distract the AMFA drive. So if the merger should happen we will have to see who concedes.

At least the IAM at US Air has a retirement and retire medical. As a matter of fact 2.00 dollars an hour goes into the IAM pension plan for a 142.00 + a month per years of service not bad.

Latest posts

Back