U.S. Airways Flight Enroute to Charlotte

I can assure you that our Ms "FlyGal" is no dupe or pawn of anyone. She's hard working like most of the F/A's at US Airways are. What she most assuredly isn't is one of those Stepford Stare types I see out west from time to time who if an independent thought passed through their head the next time would be the first time. If you push her, she pushes back.

I've had the extreme displeasure of witnessing some of the shenanigans that US pulls on their workers. One agent who reached out ended up getting the feds involved in order to get their job back (ADA thing). Even if this was a "job action" one must then further inquire as to why if the company treated its employees right would a union resort to these tactics? Do you see it at WN?

A very feisty former union leader at US once told me "Bob, if the company treats its workers well then you don't need a union". So maybe while you're giving Doug his beer and daily foot rub you might mention that quote to him.

Doug "It's not a career, it's a job" Parker is now reaping what he has sown. Being cheap and cutting corners has a price. Jerry Glass's considerable fees, other legal expenses, 6th worst company in the US and on the list goes. US Airways is where it is because of those at the top, not the other way around. The pilot situation was fixable if he had exerted leadership. He didn't because his spreadsheet told him not to and now we shall see if US is in business four years from now.
Sparrow, you ignorant dolt! My post wasn't about flygal.

Damn you can be so stupid sometimes.

Go eat, I think your mom has your lunch ready.

Flt 1071 PHL-SJU (330-200) diverted to PHL this afternoon @12:15pm. There was odor in the cabin causing headaches for crew members.

• Banned
How can a flight divert to its origin?

Wouldnt that be a return to field?

Are you kidding me?

Here's an e-line from AFA earlier this year.
March 23, 2011

Dear Members,
In Memory of Hazel Bennett
Accessing The Hub
AFA Local Numbers

In Memory of Hazel Bennett

It is with great sadness that we inform you of the loss of one of our members, CLT-based Hazel Bennett. Hazel started with US Airways in 1989 and during her time with the company earned the respect and friendship of those she flew with. She died unexpectedly on March 10 after a respiratory illness.

We know that Hazel and her crew were exposed to oil fumes on August 29, 2010 which made her very sick and sent her to hospital upon arrival. It is not clear to what degree that fumes exposure contributed to her ill health. We are in contact with her family to learn more but want to be respectful of their need for privacy at this time. When we learn more, we will inform you because we know that so many of you knew and loved Hazel, and are searching for answers at this time. We grieve the loss of Hazel and continue to fight for the living to ensure measures to prevent exposure to oil fumes on our aircraft at US Airways and throughout the industry.

In solidarity and with condolences-

The US Airways Master Executive Council
AFA-CWA

OBIT: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/commercialappeal/obituary-preview.aspx? n=hazel-turner-bennett&pid=149363900&referrer=1474

I'm very sorry to hear that, but that flight was almost a year ago. That has nothing to do with the question I posed.

OK...these incidents with toxic fumes are becoming a daily occurrence. That being said, every single one of these events have been isolated to the east fleet.

I am asking this with all seriousness. Why has every toxic fume event happened on east metal? You don't read news reports or hear about daily diversions and cancellations with any aircraft in the west fleet. Why is that? Aren't our planes maintained in the same facilities? Are the west aircraft using a different kind of aviation grade oil than the east aircraft? Does the east fleet utilize a different APU on their aircraft than the west fleet? Do the crewmembers and passengers flying on flights operated with west metal breathe from a different ventilated air system than those on the east?

Something is very, VERY fishy here. I am NOT trying to downplay or pretend the events that have occurred almost every day are not serious. I believe they are, and I believe they have happened.

But why only on flights operated by the east? Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else but myself?

What I would like to know is if these events can actually be created at the hands of others? Can someone intentionally do something to the air ventilation systems on these aircraft on the ground or inflight to cause these hazards to occur?

It would sure ease my mind to know that this cannot be done. If these toxic fume events can be started purposely, I am afraid that we may have saboteurs in our midst who are putting the health and lives of our flight attendants and passengers at risk for the sake of an agenda or making a statement.

P.S. - This is the same plane that diverted from GIG. Have you read the SER?
Get over your pilot war and have some damn respect for the people, passengers and crew alike, who have been permanently affected by the half-ass maintenence done around here.

Who said I was a pilot? I was just informed none of the passengers even smelled anything let alone went to the hospital. How is that physically possible? The more you people rant, rave and stamp your feet the less credibility you have with myself and the public in general.

Amazing how this exposure over time just started presenting itself.

You think a new contact would cure it?

Amazing how this exposure over time just started presenting itself.

You think a new contact would cure it?

I do know that AFA has been documenting these incidents for a substantial period of time. Prolonged exposure could be at play here. IIRC one the reasons smoking was banned on aircraft was out of concern for F/A's and second hand smoke. This was a while back and I recall AFA being all over this issue.

Further logic would dictate that prolonged exposure to whatever fluids cause this smell/smoke would be harmful to F/A's and Frequent Flyers as well. I myself have gotten very sore throats flying on West Metal pre merger. One particular time we had to wait for a new plane as ours had an issues that couldn't be immediately fixed. No Problem right? HP is being proactive and taking the customer into consideration. Well we board and of course being the drop dead of summer in PHX one can only imagine how hot the interior of this plane was. So off we go to PHL or BWI, I forget. The pilot did what anyone of us would do once airborne, he ran the Air Conditioning WIDE OPEN to cool us down. By the time we got to around MCI the interior temp was below 70 and you could almost taste the particles in the air as the pilot had the air wide open and it was COLD. I had a sore throat by the time we get east. I bet that aircraft had the cleanest duct work of any plane as he blew every piece of crap in the system into the air.

Air quality is suspect on any aircraft operated by any airline IMO. So when I hear these types of issues being brought forth I get very concerned. I had a mild and I stress mild case of pneumonia once and gasping for breath is no fun. I just want everyone to be safe and healthy before, during and after their flight.

Oh and just for the record the story above was not a knock on the HP pilots. Truth is if it was me I'd have done exactly the same thing in an effort to make the customers more comfortable. The Law of Unintended Consequence reared it's ugly head.

Back