Ual And Amfa

spacewaitress

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
UAL reaches tentative deal with mechanics union
Fri Jan 7, 2005 05:48 PM ET
CHICAGO, Jan 7 (Reuters) - UAL Corp. (UALAQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research) and the union representing its mechanics reached a tentative labor deal on Friday that may help the airline win the cost savings it needs to exit bankruptcy, a UAL attorney said in bankruptcy court.

UAL reached the deal with the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association and said it is close to reaching another one with the Association of Flight Attendants.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

spacewaitress said:
UAL reaches tentative deal with mechanics union
Fri Jan 7, 2005 05:48 PM ET
CHICAGO, Jan 7 (Reuters) - UAL Corp. (UALAQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research) and the union representing its mechanics reached a tentative labor deal on Friday that may help the airline win the cost savings it needs to exit bankruptcy, a UAL attorney said in bankruptcy court.
UAL reached the deal with the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association and said it is close to reaching another one with the Association of Flight Attendants.
© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.
[post="236831"][/post]​
WoW....I can't believe the Company let the mechanics off the hook???? They must be planning massive layoff's cause I can't figure how they let them slip right by....of course Round 3 will be uglier but this is gonna pass without a peep.... :rolleyes:

The Ronin said:
WoW....I can't believe the Company let the mechanics off the hook???? They must be planning massive layoff's cause I can't figure how they let them slip right by....of course Round 3 will be uglier but this is gonna pass without a peep.... :rolleyes:
[post="236868"][/post]​

Ronin, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the AMFA deal allow for a much bigger manpower cut? From the outside, it seems the AMFA will gladly give up job numbers to keep wages at a respectable level, while the IAM would rather give up pay for numbers on the payroll.

AMFA and UAL reached a tentative agreement today to modify our collective bargaining agreement. These are the main, but not all, points of the tentative agreement:

· Duration: 1-1-05 to 12-31-09

· If new tentative agreement not reached by 8-1-2009 then both parties will jointly invoke mediation services of the National Mediation Board.

· 5% base wage cut for mechanics

· No 4% temporary wage cuts for mechanics or utility

· 10% base hourly wage cut for utility

· Outsource utility employees based on three-year phase out schedule

· Permanent waiver of Article II-F for 747/777 offshore HMV/OSV only

· Allow outsourcing of all Computer Technician (CT) work

· Allow outsourcing of all fueling work

· No change to the current Health and Welfare benefits

· 1.5% base wage raises on January 1 of each year from 2006 through 2009.

· Shift, skill, Hawaii, and license premiums increased by 1.5% on January 1 of each year from 2006 through 2009.

· Overtime pay rates 2x reduced to 1.5x

· Holiday overtime rate 2.5x reduced to 2x

· Vacation accrual left unchanged for mechanics

· Vacation accrual for utility: 0-4 years – 10 days; 5 years and greater – 15 days

· Holidays reduced from 10 to 6; fixed holidays at the base and floating on the line; fixed holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day

· Sick leave paid at 75%; five or more consecutive sick days qualifies for whole day vacation backfill

· Sick leave paid at 100% in the event of catastrophic illness or injury requiring absence of 15 or more consecutive days with satisfactory medical certification

· Enhanced severance package for utility and computer technician employees

· Reduce Success Sharing percentage and grant related credit to reduce other wage and benefit cuts.

· Success Sharing percentage phases back to 100% by 2009

· Protection date (94-5M) 10-30-89 stands

This agreement may only be ratified by a majority vote of the membership. The text of the entire agreement will be available to each member before a ratification vote will be held. Go to the AMFA National and Local websites for information about voting.

Definitely something is going on because I've followed the negotiations and the company was completely unyielding on anything until they got pimp slapped by the judge. They had their whole dog and pony show with 45 witnesses all lined up and ready to go and suddenly they asked for a delay. Next thing you know they have capitulated with AMFA (I don't see anything in that agreement that AMFA hadn't already offered)

I don't know what went on in that courtroom but it seems to me that the company is no longer anxious to take anything before the judge.

Fly said:
AMFA and UAL reached a tentative agreement today to modify our collective bargaining agreement. These are the main, but not all, points of the tentative agreement:
· Duration: 1-1-05 to 12-31-09

·

·.... Allow outsourcing of all fueling work

·
[post="236949"][/post]​

Does anyone know what will happen to the people currently fueling? Since they are Ramp Service (covered by the IAM), will they be able to "bump" back on to the ramp? Also, how many fuelers does UAL currently have? Thanks.

kcabpilot said:
Definitely something is going on because I've followed the negotiations and the company was completely unyielding on anything until they got pimp slapped by the judge. They had their whole dog and pony show with 45 witnesses all lined up and ready to go and suddenly they asked for a delay. Next thing you know they have capitulated with AMFA (I don't see anything in that agreement that AMFA hadn't already offered)

I don't know what went on in that courtroom but it seems to me that the company is no longer anxious to take anything before the judge.
[post="236973"][/post]​

pimp slapped No you mean B***H SLAPPED

Kev3188 said:
Does anyone know what will happen to the people currently fueling? Since they are Ramp Service (covered by the IAM), will they be able to "bump" back on to the ramp? Also, how many fuelers does UAL currently have? Thanks.
[post="236990"][/post]​

FYI, in the IAM term sheet, the company also asked for carte blanche to outsource all fueling. It makes me think the company already has a systemwide contractor in mind.

fish,

I hope you don't look as dumb as you sound. AMFA followed the law. PERIOD

They had to talk concessions or lose it all. Doesn't mean I will vote yes. I wanted to see an agreement that there would be no round 3.

gatemech said:
fish,

I hope you don't look as dumb as you sound. AMFA followed the law. PERIOD

They had to talk concessions or lose it all. Doesn't mean I will vote yes. I wanted to see an agreement that there would be no round 3.
[post="237079"][/post]​

History shows that that type of agreement wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on (like my no-furlough clause...)

mrfish3726 said:
So much for AMFA touting that THEY WILL NEVER CAVE INTO CONSSESIONS!!!!
[post="237077"][/post]​

Having a TA and having a 'ratified agreement' is two different animals.

The AMFA NC met their legal obligation to negotiate in good faith and bring 'something' back to the 'membership' for a vote.

If the AMFA 'membership' votes in this POS, then you can start your finger pointing.

B) UT

UAL_TECH said:
The AMFA NC met their legal obligation to negotiate in good faith and bring 'something' back to the 'membership' for a vote.

If the AMFA 'membership' votes in this POS, then you can start your finger pointing.

B) UT
[post="237309"][/post]​

I find it hard to believe that you will do any better with the judge.