United Airlines Mechanics Ratify Labor Pact

ualdriver said:
I guess if one is so upset with the company and their union they could just resign?
[post="274378"][/post]​
No, they must fight together, otherwise management will pick them off one by one, along with their cabal of creditors and others. Solidarity! They'll meet our demands if we take to the streets, really they will, even if they claim to be losing money!

-synchronicity, channeling

mrfish3726 said:
What was your no lay off date this time!!!!!1
[post="274382"][/post]​

I know it's hard for you to read since you have already demonstrated that this morning but the T/A said no change to protection date so that wasn't altered in any way.

spacewaitress said:
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us want to have a job while we're planning for our future. I imagine UAL will be a very different airline in a couple of years...lots of people will be leaving. That's my prediction.
[post="274383"][/post]​
I agree. People already are leaving, and I'm guessing the exodus will increase over time. Meanwhile, attracting new people will be very difficult. Attracting qualified new people will become next to impossible.

Soon you'll have gate agents and reservation agents that barely speak English, mechanics who are barely competent to turn a wrench (if you're a good young mechanic now looking for a job, would you consider the airline industry? If so, why?), and pilots who meet the bare minimum requirements.

And people will complain about all that, but continue to select flights based solely on price.

Unless/until you have some high profile plane crashes. But because they are rare and thus it is very difficult to directly tie "substandard maintenance/piloting" to increased crashes, people still won't know exactly how much to "value" higher qualified airline employees.

Oh well.

-synchronicity

30 MINS, NO NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Guess we'll see how tough the IAM REALLY IS this time! :shock:

People are interesting creatures. By the words of the membership, many of us were ready to hit the streets Tuesday and I had my strike kit (sunscreen, hat, water, etc…) put together Monday night.

Before the vote some were in a near panic state. After the vote the same people are speaking with confidence in how ‘right’ prevailed. Go figure?

This has certainly been an interesting process watching AMFA mitigate for the membership as we have been updated on a daily basis through the ACAC reports, and observer reports from SFO and ORD.

AMFA leadership presented the ‘full’ TA to the membership and explained every question that people had.
The AMFA leadership did not recommend a yes or a no vote.
The UAL AMFA ‘membership’ decided to accept this agreement. EOS

Why we went from 57% no to 59% yes is still a mystery.
Was it the increased job protection language, the double severance or three year bridge to retirement for the CT and utility?
Who knows?

From my perspective (speaking as a 41%er), I didn’t see any changes that would compel me to change my decision.

B) UT

A friend of mine (EX-EAL IAM Shop Steward) told me a story (one of many) that I find interesting.

During one of the IAM-EAL concessionary votes:
It was 5:50 PM, no one has come in to vote for hours, and as the voting period was nearing the end (6:00 PM deadline) the people guarding the voting boxes decided to give the vote ballots to the tellers. As it was still not 6:00 PM, they place the empty box back in its place and wait until the official ending of the voting deadline. About 5:59 PM, in walks a very angry and disgruntled mechanic, raising he11 about how the IAM even had the nerve to bring back such a concessionary contract, etc… , jambs his ballot into the box and walks out in a huff bit$hing all the way out the door.

As his was the only vote in the ballot box, can you guess what he voted? :blink:

UAL_TECH said:
People are interesting creatures. By the words of the membership, many of us were ready to hit the streets Tuesday and I had my strike kit (sunscreen, hat, water, etc…) put together Monday night.

Before the vote some were in a near panic state. After the vote the same people are speaking with confidence in how ‘right’ prevailed. Go figure?

This has certainly been an interesting process watching AMFA mitigate for the membership as we have been updated on a daily basis through the ACAC reports, and observer reports from SFO and ORD.

AMFA leadership presented the ‘full’ TA to the membership and explained every question that people had.
The AMFA leadership did not recommend a yes or a no vote.
The UAL AMFA ‘membership’ decided to accept this agreement. EOS
[post="274887"][/post]​

As a relatiely disinterested observer in the AMFA-TWU battle that rages between mechanics on this forum, I'll just toss in my two cents on one point:

IMHO, if your union did an excellent job of keeping its members informed of the entire situation, the details of any agreement, and what, exactly, those details meant, then they did exactly what a union should do.

As I've mentioned before, I know more about the IAM-UAL issues than almost all of the people in my wife's department, partially due to my background, but mainly because IAM doesn't like getting information out to its members. You have to dig around their website to find pertinent details of things like UA's original "term sheet" from last November. The impact of the PBGC takeover of the Db pensions has been poorly communicated.

You'd think that a union would want to keep its members informed on important items regarding their jobs, but IAM seems to like 'em ignorant and malleable. Rah.

-synchronicity

Latest posts