Union elections and the RLA....POLL!

Should union elections under the RLA be like every other election where you can vote YES/NO and the

• YES

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Brokenwrench and Bababooy, let's compare apples to apples here. A union representation vote is the same as a referendum question on an election ballot. Both are yes or no questions. Let's say your city's school district has a referendum on the ballot that asks if the district should spend $10 million to build a new high school. You have two choices: a yes vote or a no vote. A yes vote says, "Yes, I want to spend the money on the new school." A no vote, says "No, I don't want the money spent on a new school." It's quite simple. If you fail to cast a ballot, no one at your polling place fills out a ballot on your behalf, marks "no" on the referendum question, and puts it in the tabulator, do they? Of course not. That would be illegal. The results are based solely on votes cast. If more people vote yes than no, you get a new school. If you vote yes, you aren't saying, "I want a new school for the next five years and then want it torn down." You are voting on a new school, plain and simple.

Now let's compare that example of American democracy with the flawed rules that apply only to airline and railway workers. The union representation vote is a binding referendum just as the school referendum is. A yes vote says, "Yes, I want the union to represent me." A no vote says, "No, I don't want union representation." The difference is that if you don't bother to vote one way or the other (abstain), someone stuffs the ballot box, therefore making it a biased election. Someone is essentially marking a no vote on a ballot on your behalf and putting it in the tabulator. Someone else is assuming how you might have voted had you cast a ballot.

Your reference to term limits has no bearing here. A union representation vote is a binding referendum, not an election for an office. Union officers have set durations of their terms just as any elected official in government does.

It's ok....here shortly the rules will be changed and they will be democratic...

There is only 1 question now...how long will ATA try and hold up this up for?

I'm not "assuming" anything. I thought people would be interested in some numbers, so I posted 'em...

You seem upset that I did... Why?

Sorry you took it that way. All I was pointing out was that the no votes were informed vote as well. The voting rules were well known. It just seems that union representation is not desired by the whole of this group.

Thanks For the Laugh Brother!
B) xUT

Anytime!

I just can't stomach any of this "we need the IAM here to protect us from an evil company!" garbage. The AMFA raised the bar by a much larger margin then the IAM ever did. The fruits of this were then enjoyed across the industry by the AMT's at UA, AA, US and DL!

And years later when NW gathered its strength and went after the AMFA where did this so important for workers union known as the IAM stand? Hand in Hand with the very management that many on this board say the IAM is here to "fight" for your rights!

What a joke!

Anytime!

I just can't stomach any of this "we need the IAM here to protect us from an evil company!" garbage. The AMFA raised the bar by a much larger margin then the IAM ever did. The fruits of this were then enjoyed across the industry by the AMT's at UA, AA, US and DL!

And years later when NW gathered its strength and went after the AMFA where did this so important for workers union known as the IAM stand? Hand in Hand with the very management that many on this board say the IAM is here to "fight" for your rights!

What a joke!

Amen!!!
That's the way I took it!
Best to you and yours!
B) xUT

Anytime!

What a joke!

Exactely what I've been saying all along !