Union Letter To Lakefield

N628AU said:
Aircraft cannot fly for an infinite period of time. Long overnight visits, such as those in SFO and LAX
OK, thats good for those two cities, but what about the planes around the rest of the system that do this? We have our first terminator that comes in at 730-8pm and some sit until 930 or 10am the next day (on the East coast). I know of one plane that comes in at 955pm and leaves the next morning at 930am. Do they really need almost 12 hours of down time? Multiply this x how many times a day this happens and you could easily add time into the flying without affecting the work getting done. How many planes can a couple of mechanics work on at a time anyway? :p

ClueByFour said:
I thought all "chairs" were removed from PIT.....
not where i sit my fanny......
only places authorized in the end(no pun) were bench type jobs in shops,etc......
problem was "lounge types" around tool boxes....guess where these "old lounge types" originally came from???
upper management discards...yes you got it!
management hand me downs...
guess we reminded them of themselves?? :shock: :lol: ;) <_< :blink:

tadjr,

The trip I've been flying this month has an 11am departure Sunday morning - the first flight of the day for the plane. 'Course that's the 737 and we fly them less per day than any other fleet type (which is mostly why they're the highest average CASM planes we have at mainline, the age being the rest).

Jim

Sunday schedules aren't typical but US clearly has more planes than it needs. Putting a minimum fleet size in labor contracts will breed fleet inefficiences.

WorldTraveler,

Or US is not putting it's airplanes to good use. One would think that in the 4-1/2 hours between 6:30am and 11am there would be somewhere that this plane could be flown to generate revenue. Even on our highest CASM plane, the incremental cost to fly it is 6.5 cents per ASM (1Q04 number).

Jim

Some observation

1. It seems to me that IAM is not going to get the point. While the management ask for $263 million from mechanics, they are talking about some management improvements strategies. Ok. Fine, but lets be honest, how much money IAM proposal would save the company? Even if the company gets all the concision it needs, their expenses are not as low as its main rival. With the rival roughly half expense per mile, how Uair is going to make it? It seems that IAM does not care about the company's fate. Maybe they think as long as there is an aircraft, there would be needs for them. Maybe under other shelters.
2. While other unions acknowledge the severity of the financial situation, IAM feels no sympathy for their company; they did not even mention the problem in their letter. There is an evil management there and it is IAM with its guard closed here.

Perhaps the IAM would be more apt to talk if CCY actually did something to save cost besides clubbing labor. Thus far, that really has not happened.

The IAM seems to be offering up numerous ways to that end, and if I was in there shoes, I'd tell upper management to shove it where the sun don't shine if they continually beat labor while doing nothing within their control to lower costs.

Outsider said:
Some observation

1. It seems to me that IAM is not going to get the point. While the management ask for $263 million from mechanics, they are talking about some management improvements strategies. Ok. Fine, but lets be honest, how much money IAM proposal would save the company? Even if the company gets all the concision it needs, their expenses are not as low as its main rival. With the rival roughly half expense per mile, how Uair is going to make it? It seems that IAM does not care about the company's fate. Maybe they think as long as there is an aircraft, there would be needs for them. Maybe under other shelters.
2. While other unions acknowledge the severity of the financial situation, IAM feels no sympathy for their company; they did not even mention the problem in their letter. There is an evil management there and it is IAM with its guard closed here.
1. Its seems you are not getting the point. Here goes the broken record again. The company has not honored the contracts it has. It has done nothing to fix the inefficiencies it has. It has wasted the concessions it already received. It seems the company just wants to mismanage and steal from employees. And you stand there and tell the employees to bend over again. If you are a employee do what you like if you are a customer you bend over and pay higher prices for USAirways problems or join the "won't pay more" crowd and go fly somewhere else.

2. No one is denying a severe financial situation but when a company does not honor the contracts it has you do not sit down all lovey dovey with then and open them up for more abuse. You try to offer them some saving and they do not even listen.

If the executives were serious about reforming the company, there were LOTS of things they could have already done, and within existing contracts. They did not. This red-hering labor battle is just a smokescreen. That tells me that they are insincere and probably bleeding the company into their own pocket.

usairways_vote_NO,

In the managements point of view, survival is the prime. now:

1. Honoring the existing contract help the company to survive?
2. By stopping all the inefficiencies that IAM have mentioned, how much the company will save, is it enough?
3. Is there any other alternative except pick the pocket of employees?

Outsider said:
usairways_vote_NO,

2. By stopping all the inefficiencies that IAM have mentioned, how much the company will save, is it enough?
I don't give a rats their view

1. Honor existing contract and fixing the real problems
2. Who cares how much it would save the company? It pales compared to what the company throws away.
3. See number 1 oh and number 3 below

What kind of stupid flame questions are those?

Heres some for you.

1. If the employees worked for free would it save the company?
2. Maybe fire everyone and hire the customers?
3. Is there any other alternative except pick the pocket of customers?

Those questions are as stupid as yours please answer them

Outsider said:
usairways_vote_NO,

Outsider,
If Management listened not only to the IAM but to all the other work groups on how to run the company more efficiently maybe the cuts Management wants the employees to take wouldn’t be so steep.

Knowing the company listened to the employees and it still wasn’t enough perhaps the employees would be willing to sacrifice more but it obvious the company could care less about what the IAM or what anyone else has to say. They have their own agenda and their not about to deviate from it.

Winglet said:
If the executives were serious about reforming the company, there were LOTS of things they could have already done, and within existing contracts. They did not. This red-hering labor battle is just a smokescreen. That tells me that they are insincere and probably bleeding the company into their own pocket.
BRAV-O Winglet!!!!

If only others would comprehend the reluctance of this management to actually move the needle (so to speak) in a positive direction....not just saying that they have:down:

Well, I'm from Missouri........SHOW ME!!!!

Latest posts