Unions are helping to kill Unions.

Nov 23, 2005
Your brethern in the TWU are doing their very best to destroy the entire union structure in this country.

And I am glad to see it happening.

For those who do not follow the news, this is happening in NYC. The government employees of the Metropolitan Transit Authority are staging an illegal strike, a la PATCO, against the City of New York.

This illegal strike is costing the City of New York approximately $400,000,000.00 per day. That's 400 MILLION DOLLARS.

That doesn't take into account the money it is costing all the Mom&Pop businesses who may now have to go out of business because of this illegal strike.

I bet you guys are proud to be Union like the TWU guys are.

Unions were badly needed many years ago but times have changed and there are now many laws to protect workers that could previously only be accomplished by Unions.

The TWU workers in New York City are paid more than the New York Police or Firefighters. I guess it is because the subway drivers must put their lives on the line every day.

The TWU is displaying their incredible stupidity in pulling this illegal strike at Christmas. This is the time of the year when many companies make up in money for the lean times. If companies can't recover at Christmas time, they may have to lay people off. Thanks to the TWU.

The entire TWU staff of the MTA should be immediately fired as were the striking Air Traffic Controllers who belonged to PATCO.

I know most of you don't live in NYC and could probably care less about the strike but this action is being seen all around the entire country and is showing the damage that can be caused by union action. It's not very good publicity for all of you union members.

And I hope it is serving the purpose of putting the final nails in the coffin.

so when mgmt of your company comes to you and says "we will be deducting half of your benefits and your pension is no longer needed" what will you do?" I understand the strike is or may be illegal in NY, but they have raised the point that you are taking our benes and retirement away from us that we the employees have put in effort to.
This thing has to stop. But now if you want to see all of them get fired, I cant even fatham how hard it will be for a lot of companies say, We're Hiring" but no one is willing to stay put at that company for a month knowing that there is no real reason to stay when benes arent there. Then mgmt walks to the bank with suitcases full of money while the hard working employees has to suffer or work 3 jobs to make a living. that is unfair.

This illegal strike is costing the City of New York approximately $400,000,000.00 per day. That's 400 MILLION DOLLARS.

It's actually $420 million according to Forbes.

This just proves how essential the system-and it's workers-are to NYC. They should be paid & treated accordingly. A fair package is not too much to ask.

You talk as if everyone in NYC is going to be destitute as a result of this, yet in the same breath you call for a wholesale firing of every MTA worker. How long do you think it would take to replace them? Did you consider that, or were you too blinded by your own selfish agenda to think that through?

Would you have liked it if the unions/work groups had caved every time when you were at TWA? How about if Icahn or someone else had "immediately fired" all of you?

You know what Jim? Your posts remind me of the stereotypical old man abandoned by his family at the old folks home who spends his days firing off crank letters to editors.

I eagerly await your next doddering post.....

P.S. The TWU represents a *very* small portion of the NW workforce (only the dispatchers).

So could someone please explain to me what a strike by the NYC mass transit workers has to do with Northwest Airlines? This is a NWA forum isnt it? FPJ you do understand that dont you or is that to much for your feeble mind to understand?

Kev:

A lot of NY'ers are not going to be destitute by this illegal strike but some are.

Some are going to lose their lives because they can't get to doctors and hospitals.

Yes, I do call for their immediate firing because they are not permitted by law to strike. Same thing with PATCO. Do you remember our greatest President firing them because their strike was illegal.

PATCO was replaced very quickly and I would bet that driving a subway train involves 1% of the skill of an air traffic controller.

The strikers are paid MORE than the police and firemen. And they want retirement at age 50.

NO, I don't live in the old folks home. NO, I don't need a pension, although I have one. NO, I don't need Social Security, although I get it. YES, I did retire at age 53 because I planned for it. AND, YES, I do enjoy life because I planned it this way. I didn't belong to a group that plans everything for me.

My purpose in writing was to be sure you are aware of what your brethern in a brother union, or whatever it's called, is doing to the name of unions.

The TWU is smearing the name of ALL UNIONS by their illegal actions.

They are showing the American public just how ignorant, selfish and reckless a union really can be.

I personally think all strikes are stupid but this one is a major blunder that will eventually be the complete downfall of all unions.

At that time the costs of all products can come back down to a point where the average household can afford to buy things without having to take out second or third mortgages.

And as much as I like NFL football, I hate the players union because they have made ticket prices so high that the average family can't afford to go to a game.

I hope you guys have enough saved up to last until you can find another job. And don't be so stupid as to get another union job because they're all going to be history.

Whatkind:

Sorry to burst your bubble but probably none of them.

If you ever lived in NYC, and I have, you don't want to own a car there. It's a liability, no place to park it and the transit system, when it's running, is the best.

And yes, I drive a Mercury Grand Marquis.

Whatkind:

Sorry to burst your bubble but probably none of them.

If you ever lived in NYC, and I have, you don't want to own a car there. It's a liability, no place to park it and the transit system, when it's running, is the best.

And yes, I drive a Mercury Grand Marquis.

The Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria are built at a plant in Canada with mainly Candian built parts. It is not made in the USA.

Your brethern in the TWU are doing their very best to destroy the entire union structure in this country.

And I am glad to see it happening.

For those who do not follow the news, this is happening in NYC. The government employees of the Metropolitan Transit Authority are staging an illegal strike, a la PATCO, against the City of New York.

That doesn't take into account the money it is costing all the Mom&Pop businesses who may now have to go out of business because of this illegal strike.

I bet you guys are proud to be Union like the TWU guys are.

Unions were badly needed many years ago but times have changed and there are now many laws to protect workers that could previously only be accomplished by Unions.

The TWU workers in New York City are paid more than the New York Police or Firefighters. I guess it is because the subway drivers must put their lives on the line every day.

The TWU is displaying their incredible stupidity in pulling this illegal strike at Christmas. This is the time of the year when many companies make up in money for the lean times. If companies can't recover at Christmas time, they may have to lay people off. Thanks to the TWU.

The entire TWU staff of the MTA should be immediately fired as were the striking Air Traffic Controllers who belonged to PATCO.

I know most of you don't live in NYC and could probably care less about the strike but this action is being seen all around the entire country and is showing the damage that can be caused by union action. It's not very good publicity for all of you union members.

And I hope it is serving the purpose of putting the final nails in the coffin.
Jim I couldn't agree with you more. The days of the Union worker are drawing to a close, those that cannot see that are blind.

so when mgmt of your company comes to you and says "we will be deducting half of your benefits and your pension is no longer needed" what will you do?" I understand the strike is or may be illegal in NY, but they have raised the point that you are taking our benes and retirement away from us that we the employees have put in effort to.
This thing has to stop. But now if you want to see all of them get fired, I cant even fatham how hard it will be for a lot of companies say, We're Hiring" but no one is willing to stay put at that company for a month knowing that there is no real reason to stay when benes arent there. Then mgmt walks to the bank with suitcases full of money while the hard working employees has to suffer or work 3 jobs to make a living. that is unfair.
I can deffinately see how someone with a 10th grade education would get really upset over his pay being cut for standing behind a train controls not breaking a sweat. Or the individual sitting in a booth for eight hours. When my company comes to me and says that my "pension is no longer necessary", it will not make a lick of difference to me. I am a proud vet and do not worry about bennies. My task is to keep the money flowing and my children fed, thats not something that I can do without a job.

So how do you feel when your vet bennies get cut (by the CURRENT admin i might add...)?

I do agree with you sentroid. It is only a matter of time before this government will go into spend-recovery mode. The first place that is always looked at is 'government employee' area. This includes the military. I was still in the service when the military budget was cut to the point that vital training needs were being forced into maintenance programs. I just heard today that the orders/design for the F-35 have been cut due to cost as well. I think this is only the start.

I do agree with you sentroid. It is only a matter of time before this government will go into spend-recovery mode. The first place that is always looked at is 'government employee' area. This includes the military. I was still in the service when the military budget was cut to the point that vital training needs were being forced into maintenance programs. I just heard today that the orders/design for the F-35 have been cut due to cost as well. I think this is only the start.

Actually, im not to concerned with the mililtary's budgets. Whatever it has been, we are still here. 100 billion more or less wouldnt have caught bin laden, or made it take longer to get saddam.

But, to go after the benefits of those that have served our country is where I draw the line. It is the ultimate insult to them, and dare I say it, unpatriotic.