US Airways CEO calls for more consolidation

can't 2 companies merge together without one purchasing the other?

A merger outside bankruptcy could be cashless with neither company buying the other - create "new" stock in the combined company and exchange it for the old stock in the separate companies. So effectively the new company buys both old companies, using "new" stock as currency.

Jim

I realize its the dream of al the U employees and management. But no one has the money or wants to take on the drama of a previous merger that has yet to be worked out.

What makes you think it's the dream of all U employees, I would assume only a small percentage of the 30K+ employees post here....Management, I'll give you that one, they would sell their soul to fatten their wallets..

I just saw a headline on CNBC today, that "USAirways CEO says, 'We want to be part of any industry consolidation." It appears Doug and the boys are getting weary and want to sell us down the river (again).

I didn't really want to chime in on this but i believe that co and ual will combine forcing aa to combine with us.

If you think seniority intergration was a mess at US you don't want a merger with AA, you saw what they did to the former TWA employees and yes there is federal law preventing a staple job but a merger with AA would be horrible for employees.

Plus what airline executive would be stupid enough to merge with US considering its several years later and the US/HP merger isn't finalized?

No matter who US merges with, the US name will be gone. This was made clear when the DL deal was on the table, and still is. While the image of US is

I am sure that is correct and would be a good thing. People need to move on and a name change would help alot.

Hell, even without a merger I would consider a name change and rebranding if the economy every turns around.

I didn't really want to chime in on this but i believe that co and ual will combine forcing aa to combine with us.

What would US bring to a merger that AA needs? The TLV route? AMR has no particular desire to fly to anywhere in the Middle East largely because of all the extra security you have to put in place on both ends. That's what we have OneWorld and codeshare partners for.

Jim- take a deep breath. I assure you most of us have no interest in merging with AA. To be honest many if us shudder at the mere thought.

What would US bring to a merger that AA needs? The TLV route?
For one its open for anyone to fly, so its of no value. I think AA will stay away from TLV because of the possible pension and employment liability for the 100 employees that were let go in the TWA BK case. One hundred people to work a single flight, hows that for a strong union?

I bet were are with AA towards the end of the year minus the west side, labor issues solved.

TWA had more than one flight to TLV at one point they had flights from Europe to TLV, they had a full station of employees including MTC, and they had retirees included in that #
And to me an AA/US combo is not a money maker, US/UA would compliment each other and basically the only overlap is IAD and PHL