US Airways CEO calls for more consolidation

I leave this food for thought for Mr. Parker on his call for consolidation. It has been four years ago since the announcement of a merger between AWA and US. Three years ago It was announced that US would purchase Delta. Two years ago Delta announced a merger with Northwest. Right now AWA and US still operate separately. Although not completely finished, it sure appears that the Delta, Northwest "merger" is much further along. I just wonder if Mr. Parker will finish his own consolidation project before playing industry expert on the need for more! I find it amusing that the airline that Parker went after in turn consolidated with someone else after the very public keep Delta my Delta campaign.

Wall of Shame: UAL Corp.’s Glenn Tilton

"The CEO’s failed attempts to sell his company have left UAL in a tough position."

Click here to read the article.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

i disagree, he's done some good things for our company as far as cash flow goes,

Yes, you're right, what with unrestricted cash falling from $2.2 billion on 12/31/07 to a mere $1.1 billion on 12/31/08. That negative operating cash flow of $980 million for 2008 is mighty impressive. The negative operating cash for 2008 nearly wiped out the positive operating cash generated during 2006 and 2007 combined of $1.1 billion. In those three years US has generated a mere $100 million of positive operating cash. That sure is a good thing. He (and you) should be proud of that stellar performance.

. . . and it was a good move to get authorization for more shares at the last meeting ... :up:

That move certainly required brilliance to execute.

US Airways CEO calls for more consolidation

I've got it! Parker can shrink US to nothingness and save the industry single handed! Oh wait, he's already working on that...

Yeah if Parker thinks there is to much capacity in the industry he sure is doing a great job of reducing it. Hey I know, why don't we negotiate away our minimum fleet count and let the poor guy rightsize the airline. :up: :rolleyes: I understand the industry is hurting and a mess but US is always the one who professes to HURT the most and be damaged the MOST. This place has the biggest black cloud over it. It always has and it always will it seems. The story of US Airways is shrink, shrink, cut, cut, shift this and patch that. What a joke. :rolleyes:

The DL-NW merger makes the LCC crew look like rookies.
I thinks it's a bit too early to make that comparison. While they have painted a few A/C, and squared away some of their labor issues, there is still a LONG way to go. Let's wait and see how well the Union vs. Non-Union issue goes with the IAM group. Do you read any of the posts over on the DL & NW boards? If so, you can't miss the tensions that are already building before they are even one airline.
The only looming issue at US remains to be the intregation of the pilot group, and that's out of the companies reach to resolve. You can't blame them or Parker for a Union related seniority dispute. Even if there was a joint contract with fat raises offered by the company, the senoirty issue will not go away. The pilot group said they wanted to reslove this issue on their own thru ALPA from the start, and it didn't go in the right direction for part of the group. I personally don't see any way to fix this issue without a lot of bitterness from either the
East or West side. If they can't resolve it among themselves, what can Parker do that they can't? There is no way that both sides are going to be happy no matter what. Other than the pilot group, the airline is fully merged.

I thinks it's a bit too early to make that comparison. While they have painted a few A/C, and squared away some of their labor issues, there is still a LONG way to go. Let's wait and see how well the Union vs. Non-Union issue goes with the IAM group. Do you read any of the posts over on the DL & NW boards? If so, you can't miss the tensions that are already building before they are even one airline.
The only looming issue at US remains to be the intregation of the pilot group, and that's out of the companies reach to resolve. You can't blame them or Parker for a Union related seniority dispute. Even if there was a joint contract with fat raises offered by the company, the senoirty issue will not go away. The pilot group said they wanted to reslove this issue on their own thru ALPA from the start, and it didn't go in the right direction for part of the group. I personally don't see any way to fix this issue without a lot of bitterness from either the
East or West side. If they can't resolve it among themselves, what can Parker do that they can't? There is no way that both sides are going to be happy no matter what. Other than the pilot group, the airline is fully merged.

Actually, its not too early to make a comparison...DAL/NWA is lightyears ahead of where LCC was at this point in the merger. Doug Porker has had 4 YEARS!!! and yet issues remain. Come on. Honestly, not even you would buy what your trying to sell, LOL!!! :lol:

Let's wait and see how well the Union vs. Non-Union issue goes with the IAM group.
The IAM and AFA groups will go in accordance with the federal law - tensions won't make a difference to the seniority integration.

Jim

Minus the pilot group US is merged? Are you kidding? Talk to the flight attendants at US and I'm POSITIVE you'll hear different. We have two different contracts, cannot work on each others metal, are at a snails pace with negotiations and so on. This airline only looks merged to the customer. Behind the scenes we are not merged. The NW/DL merger most certainly IS moving much quicker than the US/HP merger. They over at DL have a lot more done than just painting a few airplanes. I bet they won't have the IT problems witnessed at US. The US/HP merger is probably a template for what NOT to do during a merger. :lol:

The IAM and AFA groups will go in accordance with the federal law - tensions won't make a difference to the seniority integration.

Jim
Jim, I was referring the the Fleet service and C/S groups at DL/NW. Those at NW are unionized, while those at DL are not. Senoirity may not be an issue, but the work rules etc. may be if DL attempts to take away some perks from the NW people. From what I understand, there is supposed to be a vote to see if the IAM will stay or go with a combined vote from both airlines. Going from a contract to letting the company have their way, can be a tough pill to swallow for those that know better. I can't see the NW people taking it with a grain of salt if they lose their representation.

Oh, if the IAM loses their place as bargaining agent I'm sure there'll be some NW people unwilling to swallow that pill. Quite possibly the reverse if the IAM becomes the bargaining agent for the entire group. Maybe some fistfights in the parking lot, etc. But the merger will move forward.

Same with the AFA, although probably not as many fights in the parking lot. But the merger will move forward in that case too.

Jim

Yes, you're right, what with unrestricted cash falling from $2.2 billion on 12/31/07 to a mere $1.1 billion on 12/31/08. That negative operating cash flow of $980 million for 2008 is mighty impressive. The negative operating cash for 2008 nearly wiped out the positive operating cash generated during 2006 and 2007 combined of $1.1 billion. In those three years US has generated a mere $100 million of positive operating cash. That sure is a good thing. He (and you) should be proud of that stellar performance.

That move certainly required brilliance to execute.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your doing math here but your leaving out some of the most imporant parts of the puzzle .. the high price of oil , the RECESSION ! LOL ....

:lol:

The only looming issue at US remains to be the intregation of the pilot group, and that's out of the companies reach to resolve. You can't blame them or Parker for a Union related seniority dispute.

I guess the FAs that are still separate don't count. And BTW, the West FAs are fighting for Section 6 on their WEST contract, and that IS the Companies fault.

Latest posts

Back