US Airways CEO calls for more consolidation

If they can't resolve it among themselves, what can Parker do that they can't? There is no way that both sides are going to be happy no matter what. Other than the pilot group, the airline is fully merged.

Um, excuse me? :shock: The last time I checked, the flight attendant group wasn't anywhere near having a unified contract. To us, we are two different airlines. Period! We probably won't see a new contract until 2012.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your doing math here but your leaving out some of the most imporant parts of the puzzle .. the high price of oil , the RECESSION ! LOL ....

:lol:
I detected a hint of sarcasm so you may have misunderstood.

the F/A's wait for the pilots to finish so they can do the 'me, too' thing.....why? I have no clue.

It's because we want and deserve the same protection the pilot FARs afford them but because the FAA thinks it's okay for us to work longer etc our "me too" language provides refuge from 30 in 7 etc. Trust me it's good we have "me too" language in our contract.

Click here to read the article.
Looks like Doug has gone from beer to fru-fru vodca martinis.

92re53hs6dr45.jpg

At today's PHX Pilot Crew News session Doug Parker indicated consolidation is the right thing for the industry, there are too many hubs, and US Airways would be better off with consolidation. Parker believes there are too many industry seats and too much industry fragmentation. He indicated Delta and Northwest’s merger is good for US Airways because it removes capacity from the industry.

Parker does not believe US Airways has to participate in consolidation but he does think participating is better than not participating. The only consolidation that makes sense is with the big 5 legacy carriers and all other mergers are “working around the margins.â€￾

Parker indicated US Airways will be aggressive trying to make a merger happen, but there is nothing near-term on the merger front and there is no merger capital available in today’s environment.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

It's because we want and deserve the same protection the pilot FARs afford them but because the FAA thinks it's okay for us to work longer etc our "me too" language provides refuge from 30 in 7 etc. Trust me it's good we have "me too" language in our contract.

I as a Flight Attendant disagree with you, about the "me to" clause. I feel the only benefit from "me to" is from the basic things such as per diem raises and vacation time and stuff a long those lines. Everything else hinders the F/A group from making money. The Pilot's are able to afford the more strict FAA regulations and typically make much more in the long run then a F/A. Our job while very important is very different from the Pilot's position. I don't think I need and I don't want the same time limit's as a Pilot.

I want the ability to do a high time transcon turn if I choose to do so, and if F/A's wrap themselves with the Pilot limitations all of that goes out the window. At our airline the Pilot's have never helped or involved themselves in our groups contract and we won't be involved with them during there contract talks. We are different work groups and have very different wants and needs. We hardly share a plane for more then one leg, let alone a whole trip. So that's my opinion on the "me to" stuff.

Just what America needs - the "brains" of US Airways trying to do more consolidation. The sad part is the only two airlines that would be capable of not messing up a consolidation, WN and CO - probably wouldn't touch a merger with a 10 foot pole. I would LOVE to see the end product of a US/UA merger lead by Tempe.

Just what America needs - the "brains" of US Airways trying to do more consolidation. The sad part is the only two airlines that would be capable of not messing up a consolidation, WN and CO - probably wouldn't touch a merger with a 10 foot pole. I would LOVE to see the end product of a US/UA merger lead by Tempe.

The problem with capacity cuts resulting from merging 2 carriers is that smaller carriers will step in to grab some of what was cut. This happened to US when it gave up most of the PSA routes and Southwest stepped in. In the end, the major carriers wind up with a smaller piece of the pie.

At today's PHX Pilot Crew News session Doug Parker indicated consolidation is the right thing for the industry, there are too many hubs, and US Airways would be better off with consolidation. Parker believes there are too many industry seats and too much industry fragmentation. He indicated Delta and Northwest’s merger is good for US Airways because it removes capacity from the industry.

Parker does not believe US Airways has to participate in consolidation but he does think participating is better than not participating. The only consolidation that makes sense is with the big 5 legacy carriers and all other mergers are “working around the margins.â€￾

Parker indicated US Airways will be aggressive trying to make a merger happen, but there is nothing near-term on the merger front and there is no merger capital available in today’s environment.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

There's no consolidation ahead , only liquidations .... DEMAND to fly is dropping dropping dropping .... i think by now we are all well aware WHY demand is falling off a cliff .....

What does parker think is going to happen ? what do all of you think is going to happen ?

ANSWER : only one thing is going to happen and none of us are going to like it ....

Latest posts

Back