US Airways firms up order for 20 A350 Airbus planes

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
PARIS, Nov 29 (Reuters) - European planemaker Airbus (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Tuesday that US Airways (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) had signed a contract for 20 of its A350 passenger planes, firming up an order placed in May.

The 20 plane order from the airline, formed from the merger of low-cost carriers US Airways and America West, has a catalogue value of $3 billion.

Airbus said it has 155 orders and commitments from 11 countries for the A350, which seats 253-300 passengers. The first A350 due is for delivery in 2010.

The A350 is getting its head handed to it by the 787.

See:

http://enplaned.blogspot.com/2005/11/a340-...in-trouble.html

PARIS, Nov 29 (Reuters) - European planemaker Airbus (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Tuesday that US Airways (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) had signed a contract for 20 of its A350 passenger planes, firming up an order placed in May.

The 20 plane order from the airline, formed from the merger of low-cost carriers US Airways and America West, has a catalogue value of $3 billion.

Airbus said it has 155 orders and commitments from 11 countries for the A350, which seats 253-300 passengers. The first A350 due is for delivery in 2010.

With 150 orders for the A350 and still 5 years before the first delivery, I'd have to disagree. On a similar note, where does USAirways stand on that A330-200 order from before the merger?

USAirways has an option to get out of the contract if the plane does not perform to desired specs. Don't forget we also got financial assistance from Airbus which has to be figured into the total cost of the plane. Other airlines may pick the 787 becuase of realized cost savings. We have picked the 350 because of the money Airbus gave us to even order the planes in the first place.

Just more of the same ... airplanes in the future not to ever be realized on the property. It may be that Airbus will kill the A350 before it even goes to production. LCC (U) will be in its usual position of being years behind the competition; holding an empty
A350 bag and no 787s (just like no 777s). I still have not seen anything of substance from this "new" management team. More empty suits. Come on Tempe, prove me wrong! I really want to be wrong!

Ok great order some more planes my question is what the heck are we to service multi million dollar air craft with?

We cant handle what we have now!

Before MGT buys the cart you think Mgt would get the horse!

I'm sick and tired of excuses Mgt you got your raises now get Philly "F" n ramp equipment!

Can you hear me now?

Ok great order some more planes my question is what the heck are we to service multi million dollar air craft with?

We cant handle what we have now!

Before MGT buys the cart you think Mgt would get the horse!

I'm sick and tired of excuses Mgt you got your raises now get Philly "F" n ramp equipment!

Can you hear me now?
Cool it Liberty Bell.....did you not know anything about the Airbus involvement with the emergence of bankruptcy and the merger with AWA? This is an old deal...that helped save your job from going away, so be thankful and keep yourself informed before blasting away at mgmnt.

For years I have listened to the need to rationalize the fleet. And now they want another fleet type? I'm sure there is some commonality between the 330 and 350 but I would bet that it's not much.

They should get some A330-200's instead of the 350's. That way it stays in the same family. After all, aren't all Airbus aircraft wide bodies????

What is the rationale behind this impending blunder???

Cool it Liberty Bell.....did you not know anything about the Airbus involvement with the emergence of bankruptcy and the merger with AWA? This is an old deal...that helped save your job from going away, so be thankful and keep yourself informed before blasting away at mgmnt.
I'm sure the ramp will remember that when they cant load your bags because we dont have the equipment.

All thise passengers we screw run right over to ever expanding southwest.

For years I have listened to the need to rationalize the fleet. And now they want another fleet type? I'm sure there is some commonality between the 330 and 350 but I would bet that it's not much.

They should get some A330-200's instead of the 350's. That way it stays in the same family. After all, aren't all Airbus aircraft wide bodies????

E-Trons,

The Rational is Airbus doing business , PERIOD !!
Airbus Industries has no interest in Our fleet rationalization needs..they do have a great interest in having a US based "Launch Customer" for the A350 series

Sure..the arguement can be made that Airbus has taken great risks in doing business with USAirways in both the past and present tense...and the arguement can be made that they have a degree of entitlement to structure any deals going forward to their benefit for taking such risks.

IMHO...Airbus is playing U's and HP's combined situation in a simular manner as the way they played Eastern and Pan AM in regards to getting the A300 into the US market to begin with.

IMHO yet again...Airbus is concerned with Airbus...and U is going to be forced to make what they are force-feeding us work...or like Eastern and Pan Am before us...its boom boom , out go the lights.

My Crystal Ball is predicting bad days ahead in regards to the A350. The situation with being the 1st US Kid on the block with the A330 series was bad enough...as U was solely dependent on Airbus or Air Canada for parts...until NW joined the mix. The situation is still far from ideal when compared to supporting a fleet of B767's of any discription.

I love the arguement of the A350 having a return clause..if in fact it fails to measure up to its advertised expectations..that's all well and good...but if it fails to produce the desired results , what then? The rest of the US Operators will already be years ahead of us with the B787...and they will be aiding on another with AOG support as needed. U will be on the outside looking in yet again..but we can always wrap ourselves up in the warmth of an exit clause. I see the F-100 and a few other odd ball types of U's past rearing its ugly head again.

The A-318, A-319, A-320. A-321, are not widebody plane. The only one i know is the A-330. Is the A-350 considered a wide body capable of transatlantic flights?

US's A350 deal is the future of the international fleet, two things that should be in the plans are service to Tokyo nonstop from Phoenix and/or Las Vegas & service to Europe from the same two western hubs. IF British Airways can make PHX - London work, US can find 200 passengers daily to make it work too. As a stop gap measure there are plenty of A330-200 around for lease, TAM in Brazil has a bunch coming of lease soon from Qatar or Etihad in the Persian Gulf soon.

The A380 has it returned to Toulouse or is it still flying around somewhere?

Latest posts