US Airways' First Class Gets an Upgrade!

Let Debbie put it into perspective for you all. YES they are making the enhancements as noted BUT and here comes the big BUT, the meal window is NOT being expanded to offer what the competition does on flights of shorter stage lengths. Now the kicker, the SNACK BASKET IS GONE on flights of ninety minutes or less. Now our first class passengers who pay TOP DOLLAR on flights around the northeast of an hour and a half or less will get a packet of "tidbits". I'm all for the enhancements but the snack basket was an item that set our first class apart from other carriers. It gave customers an array of items to choose from though it did need freshening up a bit. Well on flights of ninety one minutes and higher the basket will be there (think PHL-FLL-PHL) but will come boarded shrink wrapped. They are being generious though they believe their snack item levels are "on target" and adding four extra bags of chips. So we are to take a full A321 on the above route and have NOTHING to restock the basket for the return flight? The company wants it's customers TRAINED to not expect it. Call the enhancements what you want but the removal of the snack basket is TERRIBLE! ! ! ! Enjoy the upgrades. :rolleyes:

The way I read it, on a PHL-FLL-PHL flight, you will have a new snack basket for each leg. It will be double provisioned out of the hub if there is no catering at the downline station.

From what I have heard, the new snack basket contains some pretty good snacks, and the chips issue was not a problem. This info is just from two flights today, so we shall see.

Also, talked to a few people on transcons today that truly were impressed by the new service. Good to hear.

The way I read it, on a PHL-FLL-PHL flight, you will have a new snack basket for each leg. It will be double provisioned out of the hub if there is no catering at the downline station.

Well Thank God! Hell, ya know how flight attendants are when it comes to "making miracles". We'll dump the leftovers into a bag and have them hidden under a seat somewhere or in an overhead to accomplish our own basket restocking. We WILL NOT be assimilated.

Reactions: 3 people
I like to dine on a lot of different things but one thing I don't like to be fed is a line of BS. I call it like I see it and don't pretend to know what I don't know. A turd is a turd is a turd. As for single.......nope, happy and married. Just not married to this job. Tidbit anyone? :rolleyes:

Really ? I'd like to meet this guy. I've never met a human sacrafice !!

cv

Reactions: 2 people
Really ? I'd like to meet this guy. I've never met a human sacrafice !!

cv

Oh here we go....another one. What I post here on usaviation must be a reflection of what I believe, how I act at home, how my relationships are, I'm drama, I'm negative, I'm this.....I'm that. Here is something you can do tonight as I walk out the door to enjoy my evening with friends......GET A LIFE AND GET OFF USAVIATION ON A FRIDAY NIGHT! ! ! ! ! Hey, the Golden Girls have a marathon on tonight... Feel free to pop some popcorn, watch the girls and tear up Debbie Downer annonymously from behind your keyboard in middle america. AAAAAAAHAHAHAHA Have a good one....... (sound of door slamming with me making a big L with my hand over my forehead to ya) ;) :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people
For the record...Debbie D. generally tells it like it is. I have always admired her ability to cut through all the crap and distill each 'tidbit' of info to it's essence. Anyone else find it amazing that 5+ years after the 2 BKs and merger, we still don't know what kind of airline we are? NOW we're courting the business passenger? Seems like just yesterday we gave them the finger and were gonna be driving the Kettle's around.

Reactions: 1 person
For the record...Debbie D. generally tells it like it is. I have always admired her ability to cut through all the crap and distill each 'tidbit' of info to it's essence. Anyone else find it amazing that 5+ years after the 2 BKs and merger, we still don't know what kind of airline we are? NOW we're courting the business passenger? Seems like just yesterday we gave them the finger and were gonna be driving the Kettle's around.

Beats being a pole dancer at the local boobie bar which was your other career option if this airline had shut the doors several years back

cv

I agree. In this day its hard to get the real story with so many lies and spins from the company. Debbie tells it straight up and usually makes me laugh "it's funny cause it true." I remember she was one of the original posters on here telling people years ago the 1st class product on this airline was dismal and needed changing. Other people scoffed at her posts and now here we are years later and US knows it needs rethinking. Its a shame that this managment team can't just do things right the 1st time and has to learn its lesson driving people away. Now instead of moving forward they basically have to start in nuetral to gain those customers back.

I agree. In this day its hard to get the real story with so many lies and spins from the company. Debbie tells it straight up and usually makes me laugh "it's funny cause it true." I remember she was one of the original posters on here telling people years ago the 1st class product on this airline was dismal and needed changing. Other people scoffed at her posts and now here we are years later and US knows it needs rethinking. Its a shame that this managment team can't just do things right the 1st time and has to learn its lesson driving people away. Now instead of moving forward they basically have to start in nuetral to gain those customers back.
The problem with this management team is, they don't ask their most knowledgable people for input. Their own frontline EMPLOYEES, who know and do the job everyday. They rely on some kid out of college, that has never done the job, sitting in a cubical make all the decisions. So getting it right the first time doesn't happen too often.

The problem with this management team is, they don't ask their most knowledgable people for input. Their own frontline EMPLOYEES, who know and do the job everyday. They rely on some kid out of college, that has never done the job, sitting in a cubical make all the decisions. So getting it right the first time doesn't happen too often.

I agree with the statement above, with the added comment that if they can't see it on a spreadsheet they can't understand it. They need to listen to the FRONT LINE people who actually KONW what's going on in the field.

I applaud their effort to improve the first class product, and our information was that the meal window had been slightly widened. We also saw the new snack basket and it looks very nice--although the inability to refill it may mean the end of a cabin gets nothing but what others don't want...which may in fact negate the improvements.

Taking away the snack basket on flights under 90 minutes may save a couple of bucks, but at some point one has to ask how much it will cost them in lost revenue. While many travelers are unaware of such details like this, the ultra-frequent travelers are usually more knowledgeable and observant when it comes to things like this.

One thing I still think Tempe doesn't get is the value of frequent business travelers. A competitor stated recently in a presentation at the Aviation Conference in NY that business travelers are responsible for 65% of the airline's revenue, and that service enhancements and product improvements were squarely aimed at retaining current business travelers and bringing more on line. It costs far less to retain current customers than to acquire new ones, which appears to be lost on this crew in Tempe.

At the end of the day, I think travelers still loyal to US will appreciate the service enhancements, which is great, but the decision to make the snack baskets non-refillable and to eliminate them altogether on flights of 90 min or less shows that the bean counters still don't get it and can't see the big picture. But as someone said earlier in this thread, baby steps...

As a humorous side note, there was a rumor going around a few days ago that US was considering eliminating complementary elite upgrades altogether....but we think that was just a rumor, as even this team in Tempe wouldn't be dumb enough to drive even more high value business travelers away...

My BEST to you all.

OH, and a big PS --- I happen to appreciate Debbie's comments here and her input and insight as to what's going on on the front line....don't let the nay sayers get to you - the fact of the matter is that you actually get it...as do so many of your colleagues... Keep it up. I hope I have the pleasure of flying with you one day....

What are you talking about? There was a whole domestic focus group set up comprised of flight attendants from each base. There is also a Shuttle focus group, and an international focus group made up of flight attendants. They most certainly were involved in these changes. I believe there was a list published awhile back on Wings.

I agree with the statement above, with the added comment that if they can't see it on a spreadsheet they can't understand it. They need to listen to the FRONT LINE people who actually KONW what's going on in the field.

I applaud their effort to improve the first class product, and our information was that the meal window had been slightly widened. We also saw the new snack basket and it looks very nice--although the inability to refill it may mean the end of a cabin gets nothing but what others don't want...which may in fact negate the improvements.

Taking away the snack basket on flights under 90 minutes may save a couple of bucks, but at some point one has to ask how much it will cost them in lost revenue. While many travelers are unaware of such details like this, the ultra-frequent travelers are usually more knowledgeable and observant when it comes to things like this.

One thing I still think Tempe doesn't get is the value of frequent business travelers. A competitor stated recently in a presentation at the Aviation Conference in NY that business travelers are responsible for 65% of the airline's revenue, and that service enhancements and product improvements were squarely aimed at retaining current business travelers and bringing more on line. It costs far less to retain current customers than to acquire new ones, which appears to be lost on this crew in Tempe.

At the end of the day, I think travelers still loyal to US will appreciate the service enhancements, which is great, but the decision to make the snack baskets non-refillable and to eliminate them altogether on flights of 90 min or less shows that the bean counters still don't get it and can't see the big picture. But as someone said earlier in this thread, baby steps...

As a humorous side note, there was a rumor going around a few days ago that US was considering eliminating complementary elite upgrades altogether....but we think that was just a rumor, as even this team in Tempe wouldn't be dumb enough to drive even more high value business travelers away...

My BEST to you all.

OH, and a big PS --- I happen to appreciate Debbie's comments here and her input and insight as to what's going on on the front line....don't let the nay sayers get to you - the fact of the matter is that you actually get it...as do so many of your colleagues... Keep it up. I hope I have the pleasure of flying with you one day....

Took an overseas flight recently in First and the food was absolutely average.......I swear the food on PI F/C 25 years ago was better.
F/As were great...steak was barely edible. A disgrace if someone was paying bucks to sit in First/envoy.

NICDOA
NPJB