US Airways' First Class Gets an Upgrade!

Just to confirm - BoeingBoy was absolutely correct in stating that there are no 733/734 routes at present that are at/over the 3.5 hour mark. The longest ones are currently right around the 3hr mark (PHL-MIA / CLT-CZM), but most are shorter than that.

Interestingly enough, there are a handful of E190 routes that are right at/above the 3.5 hr cutoff. Currently, it looks as if it's only PHL-DFW but you can add PHL-MBJ/PUJ to that list if US decides to again fly those routes with E190s during Sept/Oct.

I've heard that US spruced up the snack basket by adding some organic options. Does anyone have any details on what this entails?

All in all, I'm glad to see that this is being well perceived by customers. I suspect there will be more news related to the FC product in the coming months...

Reactions: 1 person
I've heard that US spruced up the snack basket by adding some organic options. Does anyone have any details on what this entails?
One of the FA's could give you the new snack basket items, but if you go to Wings the inflight option will give you the info with pics.

There are also a couple of "fancy" mixers that are replacing two of the old premium choices. That info is at the same place I think.

And thanks, I guess that's why Barrister hasn't supplied a list of meal flights on the 737 yet.

Jim

A customer posted a report in MilePoint (a new frequent travel bulletin board started by Randy Petersen, of FlyerTalk fame) on the new transcon meal service. To paraphrase the positive comments:

Customers recognized by name.
Quality of the food substantially improved.
Glassware and real mugs greatly appreciated.
Nice little touches like being given a choice of red wines and being shown the bottles.
Multiple rounds of the bread basket.
One FA working the F cabin, and a second FA assisting.

It sounds to me like US has rolled out a really competitive product in F for transcon flights. Two thumbs up for this.

I am happy to see ANY kind of upgrade to services within this airline and applaud the improvements but I will still hold those accountable for changes that are customer unfriendly. This airline should be falling over themselves to retain or capture the high yield customer. There was a panel of f/a's giving input on what they feel they needed. It does NOT mean all ideas were given the go ahead. Let's clear that up here and now. I know Debbie seems to come on here and chop at the company for any little thing but I'm sorry, when you leave yourself open CONTINUALLY they just ask for it. NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING has been rolled out by Tempe with immediate success. From a little memo to service or for Heavens sake a manual revision. C'mon already. What I'm getting at is AGAIN you look around at other carriers who US competes with and you're left shaking your head. We come across with such a regional mentality over and over again. Glassware is back but only sometimes, you get a meal in first class sometimes, you have a snack basket sometimes. There is no consistency and really splitting hairs. Just put glassware on all flights and offer a basket with an array of items that customers want. If offering first class to customers who are paying top dollar can't be done RIGHT pull it off the fleet. Delta has a complex route structure right along with American and the new United yet we are counting G'damn cookies and the expense of a glass to drink from? Also, these "improvements"....Is US offering this on EVERY SINGLE flight that our competitors do? I'll answer for you...NOPE! All the employees want is to be PROUD of the job they do and the product offered. Can ya help a sista out? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 people
My parents flew PHL-LAX today, and experienced the upgraded service. Here are their comments:

- This was the FA's first day working in April. She had read the memo, but forgot that she was supposed to take the meal orders from back to front, since it was an odd-numbered flight. My father inquired about this before she began taking the orders, so I can confirm that she did follow the new procedure. However, I suspect that FA's who have been working the transcon turns for years may have memory lapses until they get used to the changes.

- She brought my father his coffee in a styrofoam cup, and then apologized that she forgot that she was supposed to serve him in a mug. She brought the coffee back to him in a mug.

- My parents were both impressed with the upgraded service, so two thumbs up for that. They missed the ritual passing of the snack basket. :(

- The FA said that the area which was used for storage of the unlimited snack basket snacks is now being used to store the glassware. There simply is no space in the galley to store big bags of snacks.

- I saved the best for last: There was a wrapped snack basket in the galley, with a sign on it that said "Do not open until the next flight." :lol: (The next flight was a redeye.)

If Tempe is reading this, and can figure out what flight this was........PLEASE do not reprimand the FA! She did follow the procedure, and my parents thought she was wonderful.

- I saved the best for last: There was a wrapped snack basket in the galley, with a sign on it that said "Do not open until the next flight." :lol: (The next flight was a redeye.)

Thanks - that answered my question about whether they put on an extra snack basket for the return from an outstation to a hub or expected 1 basket to make it through both directions. When the basket is passed around both directions, of course.

Wait, even better, seems somewhere along the lines, the ball was dropped on who would actually make and wrap these baskets. Seems over the weekend there were a few people in catering making some nice overtime. So uhmmm...where's the cost savings??? Strangely it was said, there are 8 different variations of the basket?!?! Anyone seen what the differences are?

Kinda strange in the thinking here, At least two people full time to make the baskets in the warehouse, The cost of at least 4 baskets per airplane, not to mention spares for those that go missing or torn up under transport. Etc Etc........ Not sure this thing was thought all the way through (obviously wasn't if they are paying people O/T to make the baskets..HA)

Wait, even better, seems somewhere along the lines, the ball was dropped on who would actually make and wrap these baskets. Seems over the weekend there were a few people in catering making some nice overtime. So uhmmm...where's the cost savings??? Strangely it was said, there are 8 different variations of the basket?!?! Anyone seen what the differences are?

Kinda strange in the thinking here, At least two people full time to make the baskets in the warehouse, The cost of at least 4 baskets per airplane, not to mention spares for those that go missing or torn up under transport. Etc Etc........ Not sure this thing was thought all the way through (obviously wasn't if they are paying people O/T to make the baskets..HA)

Hey BoeingBoy, et. al -

I read the question earlier in the thread not as "why aren't there meal options" on B733/4 & E90 flights (we know, there arent any long enough), but instead "why is the glassware not stocked on B733/4 & E90"?

Surely there is enough galley space? I had many a first class cocktail on B733 / 4 A/C with glassware - even with ovens still installed!

but instead "why is the glassware not stocked on B733/4 & E90"?

The honest answer is that I don't know. A guess would be it's because glassware is only used on meal flights. Everything else gets the plastic. At least that's my understanding.

Jim

I recently flew US F on a ~3hour flight. Crew was great. FC is still lousy and not competitive for flights less than 3.5 hours. Not sure how the greater than 3.5 hour product is, so can't comment.

Let me make this as clear as possible for Tempe and their "cost saving" ways. The rollout of the basket removal and tidbits is OFF THE CHART TERRIBLE! ! ! ! ! Let's see....
1. There are snacks EVERYWHERE
2. There are two three and even FOUR baskets on one plane
3. There are snacks for first in coach
4. There were trays upon trays of "tidbits".

This rollout is all about putting glass back on meal flights? What a TERRIBLE ROLLOUT and this is in no way saving the company money with snacks coming out of every compartment on the plane. Tempe all the way baby. :rolleyes: :lol:

Let me make this as clear as possible for Tempe and their "cost saving" ways. The rollout of the basket removal and tidbits is OFF THE CHART TERRIBLE! ! ! ! ! Let's see....
1. There are snacks EVERYWHERE
2. There are two three and even FOUR baskets on one plane
3. There are snacks for first in coach
4. There were trays upon trays of "tidbits".

This roll-out is all about putting glass back on meal flights? What a TERRIBLE ROLL-OUT and this is in no way saving the company money with snacks coming out of every compartment on the plane. Tempe all the way baby. :rolleyes: :lol:

Honestly, you're surprised by this?
We are talking about the same Company that gave us SHARES & the incredibly smooth Res Migration are we not?

Latest posts