US Airways 'Third Heritage' Plane Unveilings...

I am not talking about the PSA plane now I am talking about when it came back from the paint shop it sat for a few days on the ramp in CLT.

Some people just amaze me. The company does something nice to commemorate the heritage of the airlines that form todays USAirways, and people complain!!??

Seems to me it's the same people over and over again who complain, no matter what the thread is about.

I am not talking about the PSA plane now I am talking about when it came back from the paint shop it sat for a few days on the ramp in CLT.

I believe the difference here is that the PSA plane came out of the paint shop a few days before its dedication, while the AL plane has some lag time between paint shop emergence and dedication on a significant date in their history.

Any suggestion management could do things differently is obviously a result of insular ignorance?

If you could do it in a more productive way, it would be considered as constructive. Your posts strike me as overtly negative and made with an air of arrogance as if you could run a better airline. Come on out and give it a try!

And I wouldn't know etops1 if he walked up to me and said, "Hi, I'm etops1." Which would be fine if he could figure out who I am, which is not Al Crelin or Elise Eberwein, some of my favorite guesses.

The airplane sat in CLT for two reasons. 1 - there was a spare A319 in CLT (normally scheduled) and 2 - since it was a spare, they used the time there for photo shoots.

The Allegheny plane had to be put into service due to several airplanes being out of service. One in SAN and one in MCO. This caused the "spare" to be called into action. A/C 745 could not sit in CLT as there were uncovered revenue lines of flying.

And to DogWonder - CLT is the launch point for the paint track airplanes. They leave from CLT and return to CLT, therefore, the airplane couldn't launch it's maiden flight in it's new colors from PIT. It wasn't done out of spite or due to lack of planning. Planes are stripped of supplies in CLT and must return there to have them restocked on the airplane.

Some people just amaze me. The company does something nice to commemorate the heritage of the airlines that form todays USAirways, and people complain!!??

Seems to me it's the same people over and over again who complain, no matter what the thread is about.

Agreed. 100%.

<SNIP>
Besides "Vistajet" we had "Pamper Jet" (Trans-Texas),

PHL-MCO

B0002643LO.01._SX150_PC_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So they also used Vistacruiser. Is Fanjet a brand too or just what they called jets? I guess they also called it Jet Custom Class.

"Vistacruiser" was for the Convair 580s. Obviously one couldn't call them "VistaJETS".
"Fanjet" is, or was, a commonly used term for jets with turboFAN engines, to differentiate them from the earlier (non-fan) turbojets.

Fortunately, back in the 1966-68 timeframe when TTA ("Tree Top Airways"--prior to the '68 name change to the much more important-sounding Texas INTERNATIONAL [yes, they went to Monterey, Tampico, and Veracruz!]) was using the "Pamper Jet" appelation for their DC-9s, EVERY baby's bottom was swathed in a CLOTH diaper!
Disposables were still a few years in the future (early '70s, IIRC)!

And I wouldn't know etops1 if he walked up to me and said, "Hi, I'm etops1." Which would be fine if he could figure out who I am, which is not Al Crelin or Elise Eberwein, some of my favorite guesses.

People think you are Crellin or Eberwein????

No,

Some of us know who Crellin is on here, ;).

Dont know if she posts on here, but Crellin gave himself away.

The tail logo is way too small.

The reality is that of all of the four heritages, this is the one that is probably least remembered -- and I speak as someone who flew Allegheny from the early 70s onward.

Piedmont, yeah, that had a good reputation. PSA, they had a great west-coast low-cost heritage. America West -- until JetBlue, the only post-deregulation airline to make it big.

But Allegheny? I doubt there are many people who look back wistfully to the glory days of Allegheny -- were there "glory days" for Allegheny?
Allegheny has been gone the longest so it's natural the name would be less than familiar. Yes, there were glory days for Allegheny. As a small regional carrier in the East, she grew to have 727-200's flying to Texas, California and Florida. Also had one of the best first class services I can recall. BUF had 90 flights a day at one time as a mini hub. When the western expansion got under way, it was decided thet Alegheny was far too regional a name. They had several ideas fro a new name I believe and did market research. They polled people to rate various airlines and threw US Air in the bunch. A LOT of people rated it very high and said it was a big airline. Funny thing though, it didnt even exist at the time. In response to another post, Jet Custom Class was the title for S class service on the planes. No first class and the DC9'S had a table up front on each side with rear facing seats.

Looks good to me. It's nice to see the company looking back at its heritage. It's amazing that it took some management whipper snappers at an airline based in the desert to come up with this idea.

Eye

It's almost cute how clueless and out of touch you continue to be with the very company you claim to love so much. It has been made abundantly clear that the AL retro plane will receive it's official dedication in PIT. Unfortunately airline schedules mean that sometimes these planes will begin in CLT and generate revenue for a few days. That's just downright sick :rolleyes: . You're right: it should be sitting in a hangar in PIT collecting cobwebs until its official dedication day, recognizing an important day in AL history. No need to plan ahead, thank you.

Where's your indignation that the HP retro plane is serving our customers instead of waiting for its dedication in August? Oh, I guess the only thing that matters to you is your concern for the regional mentality of a revenue insignificant portion of the system. Any indignation for the PI plane that has yet to be painted? Where's your support of the PSA smile flying proudly throughout our network? Pull your head out of PA and look at the big, beautiful world around you...

Excellent use of sarcasm and biting wit. I like the cut of your jib! :)

I have fond memories of Allegheny's blue and red arrow-tailed DC-9 "Vista Jets" coming in low on short final over the interstate at BTV, where I spent my summers as a kid. I am happy to hear that Tempe got word of this botched retrojet and will make the necessary adjustments to the size of the logo. I never could quite figure out why AL used VJ in its aircraft reg numbers, but "Vista Jet" makes sense, indeed. Thanks for the education.

In spite of its thinning smile, the PSA retrojet is, in my opinion, well done, considering it was applied to an Airbus.

And not to be opportunistic, but...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1