US Schedule Enhancements

Don't knock it until you have tried it. We used to have one that flew MIA-LHR-ORD-LHR-MIA, and before that we had one that one MIA-LHR-PHL-LHR-MIA. I never liked three days except for Europe and would never do a 4 day domestic or island trip. But the 6 day Europe trips go by so fast and have 3 long layovers to enjoy. Plus you only do 2 trips a month.

We would leave at 8 PM on the first day to London, arrive early and not have to leave until the following afternoon. Head off to Chicago arrive at 4 PM and have the rest of that day and until late evening the next day to enjoy the city. Off to London and another good layover and then home the next day by 2 PM.

It sounds awful until you do one and the time flys by. The first day you do go in until late evening and are home on the last day early afternoon. It was like a 4 day with great layovers, then you have 10 or 12 days off.

Don't kid yourself, Mikey. They all whine that they would never fly a 6-day trip, but once they see the blocks and the trip pairings, someone with my 30 years could never even TOUCH one of them. This old fart doesn't have the seniority to fly a nice 6-day trip that those much older farts will never let loose of.

The reality is that we already have 6-day pairings..they appear as two back-to-back 3-days. And we have entire blocks built that way. The ONLY difference is that, for commuters, you have to buy your own hotel room in PHL in the middle.

If US were to have 6 day international pairings they would be untouchable. As stated, many crew members already do back to back t/a trips resulting in them keeping a crashpad or buying a room in between. They would go so senior.

The company just issued the press release about CLT-HNL. Year round 767 service.
Click me.

It's unusual that they would put out a press release on a Sunday.
Very nice that it will not be seasonal.
I guess it makes sense for airplane rotation that GIG is year round, based on HNL (0742) and GIG's (0600) arrival time in CLT.

Doesn't hurt to have another airplane to substitute in case one breaks.

Year-round service is a good decision. Hawaii doesn't really have a season anymore. CLT most definitely now will be a 767 international base. I'll bet CLT/LGW will go to a 767, if it isn't moved to LHR.

Don't kid yourself, Mikey. They all whine that they would never fly a 6-day trip, but once they see the blocks and the trip pairings, someone with my 30 years could never even TOUCH one of them. This old fart doesn't have the seniority to fly a nice 6-day trip that those much older farts will never let loose of.

The reality is that we already have 6-day pairings..they appear as two back-to-back 3-days. And we have entire blocks built that way. The ONLY difference is that, for commuters, you have to buy your own hotel room in PHL in the middle.
Well said.....trust me, 6-day trips will go to the top of the list for both pilots and flight attendants.

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

I do not need to try it to know that it is not for me. My family life goes on every day and I like to be here to enjoy the day-to-day things. Being gone 6 days does not fit into my lifestyle. I am not a fan of 4-day trips, but that was the agreement when I was hired and I try to limit those. I am about the day-to-day stuff at home that I can enjoy and not the total number of days off per month.

I understand that just because that is what I like and what works for me doesn't mean others wouldn't like it. The commuters might like it, but as a lowly reserve I would detest being quick called for it. That is just me though.

They fill a 330 with cargo to LGW, the 767 doesn't hold as much as the 330 and FRA is a 330.

Isn't HNL typically a very low yield market? Usually filled with award tickets?

Traditionally yes. Don't the customers need some place to spend the points or else thing why bother choosing a particular airline?

I suspect that cargo makes a few $$$ on any Hawaii route to the mainland.

Service and price would rate higher and I would assume with all the fuel surcharges the amount of $$ for cargo on any airline are very slim. Wouldn't it be better to just continue to route people through your existing west coast flights or on one of the other alliance partners?

Service and price would rate higher and I would assume with all the fuel surcharges the amount of $$ for cargo on any airline are very slim. Wouldn't it be better to just continue to route people through your existing west coast flights or on one of the other alliance partners?
As goofy as our people at the top are, I'm pretty sure they've done some homework and that there is some reason to do this, being that it's daily and not seasonal kind of says something. Next to AirTran we are the most seasonal airline that I know of.

Do not be surprised if there is another major announcement, broader in scale that involves NYC and other operations, which could be announced in the not-to-distant future.

Regards,

USA320Pilot