US Schedule Enhancements

IF something "big" is announced about NYC, I'll go ahead and put my guess in - selling the Shuttle.

- LGA has the perimeter rule (except for Saturday and I don't consider anything that operates one day a week a "big" announcement). US might could get an exemption for PHX since it's a hub, but anything else would be basically east coast only.

- JFK already has B6 and DL hubs plus the widebody rush in the afternoon and early evening. The last think US needs is a "broad in scale" operation at an airport that makes PHL look like the on-time machine.

- That leaves EWR, competing with the CO hub. Anything US could do there would pale in comparison to CO's hub and just add to the delays. How "broad scale" an operation could there be at EWR with 3 or 4 gates?

- Nor do I consider one or two flights a day - to S America for example - as a "big" announcement that's "broad in scale".

For any of them anything that involved more than 2-3 airplanes would take from somewhere - that's PHL, CLT, PHX, and to a lesser degree LAS, DCA, BOS.

On the other hand, selling the Shuttle adds liquidity - not an unimportant factor in this environment.

Of course, this is all my speculation - I'll believe something "broad in scale" will happen when it happens.

Jim

The value of the shuttles has dropped quite a bit. DL doesn't even operate mainline planes on the routes anymore. Shuttle America flys E-170s for DL on DCA-LGA and is sometimes seen on BOS-LGA.

I've said a few times now US should instead use at least half of those slots to fly elsewhere.

Traditionally yes. Don't the customers need some place to spend the points or else thing why bother choosing a particular airline?

I suspect that cargo makes a few $$$ on any Hawaii route to the mainland.

Perhaps, but compared to our mainland operations we receive little cargo from the islands; maybe a few hundred pounds of mail.

And yes, a lot of traffic into HNL ends up hopping to the other islands. go! must be pleased to hear this...

The value of the shuttles has dropped quite a bit. DL doesn't even operate mainline planes on the routes anymore. Shuttle America flys E-170s for DL on DCA-LGA and is sometimes seen on BOS-LGA.

I've said a few times now US should instead use at least half of those slots to fly elsewhere.

Maybe LCC will sell the Shuttle to Republic so they can operate it with their E170s.

Maybe LCC will sell the Shuttle to Republic so they can operate it with their E170s.
And with there new E190
On May 22, 2009, Republic Airways announced that they will begin flying the Embraer 190 for their Midwest Code-Share partnership during the Summer of 2009. The aircraft will be configured for 100 seats and will be flown out of MKE and MCI under the Midwest Connect livery. Thus making Republic Airlines the first regional airline to fly the Embraer 190, an aircraft typically used for medium-haul routes at mainline carriers.

On June 22, 2009, Frontier Airlines announced that pending bankruptcy court approval, Republic Airways Holdings would aquire all assets of Frontier Airlines for the amount of 108 million dollars. Thus, Frontier Airlines would become a wholly owned subsidiary of Republic Airways Holdings.

Perhaps, but compared to our mainland operations we receive little cargo from the islands; maybe a few hundred pounds of mail.

And yes, a lot of traffic into HNL ends up hopping to the other islands. go! must be pleased to hear this...
When I worked for UA before PI, we had a flight that went HNL-DEN-TPA, it was a DC-10 and it was packed with cargo both ways, it was awesome opening up the cargo bay and smelling all the fresh pineapples.

Not to get off topic here, but I friend of mine that works for Republic informed me yesterday that Republic has bought Frontier.

Moderator Note: Discuss Republic purchase of Frontier here.

Another major announcement?

The last one stated the obvious, hardly a major announcement.
Maybe that we will start a codeshare with Mokulele Airlines being that Republic Holdings owns half or all of that now? Idk about that though since there is a codeshare with HA for the inter island connections. I do know that I wish somebody would step up and start looking into RAH (Republic's Parent Company) buying up all of these airlines... flying 190's for Midwest, buying Frontier.. I think when one of your regional affiliates is starting to take ownership with your competition there needs to be a line drawn in the sand. I don't know why but this whole thing with Republic swooping in to buy Mokulele, Midwest, and Frontier is just a little unsettling with me and I can't shake the feeling that they are up to something. They've already gotten a little big for their britches around here and now they're going to fly 190's for Midwest... Boy we think we gave our jobs to the Regionals just look at that mess. I was reading the whole thing about Frontier becoming a wholly owned of RAH and their employees were sure salivating and jumping up and down about seniority lists..

Anyway that got a little off topic but wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this little trend...

In today's PHX Pilot Crew News Session Doug Parker indicated Hawaii is no longer a low yield market because of capacity reductions due to ATA and Aloha “going awayâ€￾. The new CLT-HNL service opens up a “whole set of new (East Coast) passengersâ€￾ for US Airways that will not fly on us to Hawaii because of multiple connections from the East Coast through PHX due to double connections and then on to Hawaii versus two-stop service from the East Coast to CLT and then to HNL. The new CLT-HNL service is expected to do very well and will not impact PHX-Hawaii service.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

In today's PHX Pilot Crew News Session Doug Parker indicated Hawaii is no longer a low yield market because of capacity reductions due to ATA and Aloha “going awayâ€￾. The new CLT-HNL service opens up a “whole set of new (East Coast) passengersâ€￾ for US Airways that will not fly on us to Hawaii because of multiple connections from the East Coast through PHX due to double connections and then on to Hawaii versus two-stop service from the East Coast to CLT and then to HNL. The new CLT-HNL service is expected to do very well and will not impact PHX-Hawaii service.
For coach passengers, what's the lesser evil? The slave ship seats on a 757 6 hour flight from PHX or the slave ship seats on the a 767 10+ hour flight..... Heaven help the unfortunates who can't upgrade/afford First.

Is the AVOD going to be available to FC passengers, or, are they going to be stuck watching the same movie that is shown in Y on a computer paper screen?

For coach passengers, what's the lesser evil? The slave ship seats on a 757 6 hour flight from PHX or the slave ship seats on the a 767 10+ hour flight..... Heaven help the unfortunates who can't upgrade/afford First.

Hmm. Well, ask the 767 coach passengers how they feel about sitting for 10 hours PHL-ATH, or 11 hours back. I've never seen it near empty, so no one seems to be "voting with their feet."

Latest posts