US/UA Official Merger Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
OK, here's a new thread.

Let's see if we can keep it on the topic of the merger itself.

Thank you.

I think the longer we hear no news the more likely the merger is happening. With DP in CLT for a Crew briefing Thursday I do not expect an announcement this week unless they cancel they crew briefing.

I think the longer we hear no news the more likely the merger is happening. With DP in CLT for a Crew briefing Thursday I do not expect an announcement this week unless they cancel they crew briefing.
If Doug is in CLT for a crew briefing, then the merger talks must have slowed down, or it's already a done deal. I don't see how they could keep the deal a secret, so my guess is that the talks have slowed. I really hope they come to their senses before Titanic Airways becomes reality.

UAL's United Air, Continental in Talks on Alliance, People Say

By Mary Schlangenstein and John Hughes

May 14 (Bloomberg) -- UAL Corp.'s United Airlines and Continental Airlines Inc., the carriers that broke off merger talks last month, are in discussions to form an alliance able to set pricing and schedules, people familiar with the matter said.

The effort is separate from United's negotiations with US Airways Group Inc. on a possible merger, said the people, who asked not to be named because the talks are private. United will pick one of those choices or stay independent, the people said.

An alliance with U.S. antitrust immunity to collaborate on fares would provide most of the benefits of a merger while skirting regulatory challenges and the need to mesh workforces. Continental has been evaluating options since Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines Corp., its partners in the SkyTeam alliance, agreed on April 14 to merge.

Link to the rest

Bringing Continental into the Star Alliance fold with anti-trust immunity would be a far more favorable outcome. No messy seniority integration and nice market penetration in UAL's weakest markets: New York and Latin America... ;)

OK, here's a new thread.

Let's see if we can keep it on the topic of the merger itself.

Thank you.

The POTENTIAL merger, is that what you mean? The one where the only thing that matters (psst....seniority) is not to be discussed? OK, will try to do that. Thanks. :cop:

AP source: United, Continental in alliance talks

United Airlines and Continental Airlines Inc. are talking about forming an alliance to gain some benefits of working together without going through a merger. United is still pushing ahead with negotiations aimed at a combination with US Airways Group Inc. but would not pursue both deals.

Continental is also still in discussions about an alliance with AMR Corp.'s American Airlines and British Airways, said an official with knowledge of those talks. That person also was not authorized to discuss the matter and requested anonymity.

The official said it would not be unusual for Continental to be considering alternatives, but that the British Airways-Continental-American talks are progressing and don't appear in jeopardy. British Airways publicly disclosed the talks April 30.

Bob Mann, an independent airline consultant based in Port Washington, N.Y., said he doesn't think an alliance between United and Continental is likely because it wouldn't go far enough to solve the carriers' cost and capacity issues.

"The United guys are very much heading in the direction of something that will really allow them to downsize the airline," he said. "We're talking about large capacity cuts. ... The alliance doesn't get to the point where you can really do the capacity-cutting."

See Story

USA320Pilot comments: United's website indicates the company has 55,321 employees and 460 aircraft. US Airways' website indicates the company has 36,000 employees and 355 aircraft. The United employee to aircraft ratio is 120 employees per aircraft and the US Airways employee to aircraft ratio is 101 employees per aircraft.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

AP source: United, Continental in alliance talks

USA320Pilot comments: United's website indicates the company has 55,321 employees and 460 aircraft. US Airways' website indicates the company has 36,000 employees and 355 aircraft. The United employee to aircraft ratio is 120 employees per aircraft and the US Airways employee to aircraft ratio is 101 employees per aircraft.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

US Airways fleet is almost entirely made up of small, narrowbody aircraft requiring 2 Pilots and 3 F/A's. A large portion of United's fleet is comprised of large widebodies which require multiple pilots and large F/A complements.

You beat me to the punch.

And yes, it is a POTENTIAL merger. As I speculated days ago, there is still the possibility of an alliance with CO, that would preempt a US/UA merger. One can only hope.

My guess is that merger talks are cooling.
don't believe everything you read. merger talks are from cooling off. they are heating up as we type.

Oh please. We will wake up one morning and CNBC will announce LCC has halted trading on a merger with Air Morocco. At his point Bob Barker can pull a better prediction out of the bag. Lord.

Piney Bob is totally right. These mergers are BAD news. WN must be foaming at the mouth. When I was younger, I worked for a supermarket holding company that acquired five different companies in a five year period, and I left a few months before they went Chapter 11 for the SECOND time. We were union and non-union, and after four years, we were left with the remains of what was once a great company, and four different union contracts that we could never consolidate. They didn't mean anything after the second bankruptcy anyway. Most of their assets had to be sold. The company still exists today at about one tenth of the size it was in 1992.

When I look at the current US Airways, I can't believe it has gotten this far, and is still a functioning company. I can offer sympathy for each and every one of the US Airways employees who have stuck it out and got this far. I personally (and this is my opinion from MY experience) believe that US today is a better carrier (domestically) than UA.

US employees may not have a lot of faith in their management, but at least they hopefully know what things NOT to do again if a merger takes place. But even if this is the case, there are SO many people, aircraft, routes and other variables in the way... it is a losing proposition.

In any case, I hope these mergers do not go through, or four years from now, all we're going to have left is WN, B6 and the remains of six bankrupt carriers, not to mention a ton of driving between major airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.