USAIRWAYS Pilots Strike !!!

I have said it before and I stil believe it now. After the pension issue gets rammed down our throats and we come out of bankruptcy, Dave is going to want further pay cuts, crying 'fuel costs, lower revenue, etc.' Then he's going to go after your pensions, mechanics on pushbacks, etc.

When I first got hired an old Allegheny pilot said to me, while the mechanics were in negotiations, "Worry about how much you make and don't worry about how much the other guy makes." So I don't worry about whether mechanics are on tugs or not, etc. That's their business and they will negotiate as they see fit. Same for each group. So for those who are complaining about being supported, I haven't seen any of your money supplementing the $250/month I pay my union. I also haven't seen anyone in the spirit of helping our fellow union members remark that we can best serve our union brothers at other airlines by helping our airline go chapter 7 so that they may all have a more secure job. You got screwed royally in '92 and that is tragic. What precisely would you have had me do, would it have been legal, and would it have changed anything for the better now?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/7/2003 5:57:59 PM BottomFeeder wrote:

RowUnderDCA

If your ideas are correct then all of the pension funds need to be terminated. The failure of the company as you describe, in fact did not happen. You seem to forget that the PBGC did not terminate the pension. U did by going to the judge.

Yes, it is a another means of saving for retirement. The short of it is that the company failed to make the payments and rode the market. Now the market and low interest rates have called their lack of commitment. The current U boys were handed this by WOLF. If he would have put the 2 BILLION in to the pensions instead of buying back stock at 50 or so. We would now be on the road to recovery.

Spare me the lecture.

Bottom line management had control and blew it.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Have to agree with you Bottom Feeder. Mangement gambled on a Merger and spent those funds to buy back stock and blew it. They now want the employees to pay the ultimate price...THEIR FUTURE FINANCIAL SECURITY.

No matter who you are, if you invested in the market the past 10-15 years, your money should be just about dried up in the market, unless you put your money in CDs which not very many folks did. So, even if you started a retirement at age 40, should be hurting right now in the market if you didn't move it way early.

Defined pension benefits that a co. offers basically reward 25-35 year workers of a corporation for their loyalty and commitement to the same employer and ccontributions for many years of work. It pretty much guarantees older folks that they will retire vs. folks wih only a 401K who can only retire with 30 years of a sustainable stock market...Ain't happining. Market is risky business, even for the best of them.

The 25 year old employee that spoke about having someone mangage his funds, hasn't lived long enough as a working adult to experience the cycles of the stock market, interest rates and economy. NO ONE HAS IT DOWN TO A SCIENCE.
[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/5.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/7/2003 9:58:09 PM autofixer wrote:

AIRMAIL, Most of the U pilots do not have time to fight another day. There is that age 60 thing and 48% of the pilot group is over 50. Therefore, the fight must be here and now, if it is to be at all.
----------------
[/blockquote]
If that is the case and ALPA does strike and shut U down then those pilots will have a very hard time finding a job in the industry. They should concentrate on getting their finances in order with what time they have left to fly commercial. If U shuts down then where do the over 50 get a job and for what wages? The 48% are screwed but the 52% can fight another day. In this day and age it is better to have an income and a small pension than no income and a small pension.

Why strike??? When you can give em a good ole "saftey" slow down!! Come on folks you know the drill, why give up your pay by a strike? All you do then is play right in ole "Daves" hands!!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/8/2003 3:31:16 PM N786P wrote:

Why strike??? When you can give em a good ole "saftey" slow down!! Come on folks you know the drill, why give up your pay by a strike? All you do then is play right in ole "Daves" hands!!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

They would probably just adjust the schedule to account for the increase time.

N786P,
A few years ago AFA created a slogan CHAOS (create havoc around our system) and it definitely got management's attention. I'm not condoning the pilots follow suit, just playing around with slogans. How about?

PENSION

Pilots Ensure Negotiations Satisfy Income in Old-age Now!

Very lame, but I'm sure some of the bright minds who post on here will do better

UA pilots nearly killed their airline with "chaos" tactics two years ago. A slowdown in any form is illegal. U management has within it's hands the power to fix this problem. Whether or not they choose to do it is another question. In typical fashion we've been given the same choice we've faced since last summer; "take it or leave it". Now most of you here could care less about our pension but there is not a single issue with regard to our compensation that means more to us. "Take it or leave it" won't work this time. We don't want anyone elses pension, benefits or pay, we simply want U management to treat us fairly. They know this rag we got in the mail won't fly...it's bait, but we're not biting. Time for management to step up to the plate and deal with this issue to OUR satisfaction. I'm deeply sorry for the anguish and anger that some of you on these boards feel. I know because I, and many other pilots are going through the same thing, but dog-gone-it enough is enough. These back-door tactics of getting employee concessions ends for us right here and right now. Deal with us fairly or deal us out.

A320 Driver

A320,

Your sentiments are very understandable. People have to honor principles, at whatever cost. Whether folks on this board are offended or not...tuff!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/8/2003 9:21:32 PM Formatman wrote:

Here's a strike slogan for you...

How about "CRY"...Can't Retire Yet
----------------
[/blockquote]How about, NCREBOA60R. "Never can retire ever, because of the age 60 rule." This makes about as much sense as your support of Dave-the-robber.

The dumbest thing Eastern did was to leave the cockpit. If you have the thrust levers, you have the power.
I'd bet George II would order us back anyway.

Wall Street loves slave labor.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 4:25:12 PM a320av8r wrote:

The dumbest thing Eastern did was to leave the cockpit. If you have the thrust levers, you have the power.

----------------
[/blockquote]

With three of the six major carriers headquartered in Texas, George II would love nothing more than to see the USAirways pilots shut their airline down. We strike there will be no PEB. If USAirways disappears it would solve CO problems, and help AA and SW, too.

Unified Labor Front???

Airline Workers for Airline Workers???

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 4:25:12 PM a320av8r wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]
A320av8r,

Very good point, then what?

[<
The line has been drawn and now is the time to take action ! The raping of our pension is the final straw. We must not let the robber barons get away with this final assault on our profession. Better to die on our feet with dignity than on our knees quivering and begging for mercy ! If they terminate our pension......... then WE STRIKE !!! It is as simple as that..... you... ROBBER BARONS !!!

U 737 pilot
]>

UAL_TECH

“We were owners but none of us acted like it!!!â€￾

Latest posts