Welcome to the Jungle

Again, if no one shopped, then it would cease. It's all about Liberty, the right to live as you choose. If working on Thanksgiving offends you then I suggest you find a job outside of hosptality, retail or aviation.

Just because the Corpratists want it a certain way doesn't mean you have to play in their sandbox

^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!

Again, if no one shopped, then it would cease. It's all about Liberty, the right to live as you choose. If working on Thanksgiving offends you then I suggest you find a job outside of hosptality, retail or aviation.

Just because the Corpratists want it a certain way doesn't mean you have to play in their sandbox

Wow...when we start putting profits ahead of family time, what's next? Do we put profits ahead of God and go ahead an open up on Christmas and Easter?

Wow...when we start putting profits ahead of family time, what's next? Do we put profits ahead of God and go ahead an open up on Christmas and Easter?

It's called Liberty!

Just because Wal-Mart is open Thanksgiving doesn't mean you have go there.

It is indeed ALL of those things and oddly enough they gave us our standard of living.

However the operative word Dog is FREE! As in free to opt out of the Wal-Mart, Big box mentality and shope merchants where you live. Small Business Saturday needs to be extended another 364 days for most of us. I make a point to ALWAYS go to the local merchant first. If they can't meet the need, then and only then do I venture into Corporate America's Retail Rampage, while still staying out of Wal-Mart.

I exercise the same freedom.

Long time since I have seen the inside of Wal-Mart.

I exercise the same freedom.

Long time since I have seen the inside of Wal-Mart.

Bless you my child!

Only time I visit a Wal-Mart is to take a crap. The rest rooms are really clean and somehow crapping in/on a Wal-Mart just seems fitting don't you think?

Have you ever visited peopleofwalmart.com?

Can't see exposing my skin to what they have touched.

No I haven't but I will make a point to visit and comment. The moral case against Wal-Mart is a pretty strong one and I just can't bring myself to shop there. I'm pretty certain that a visit to the site you mentioned will only serve to further convince me.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/25/15433967-alleged-walmart-shoplifter-dies-after-struggle-with-store-employees?lite

Everything is made in china.

And christmas should be cancelled. The pope says christ's birthday was miscalculated.

'RDU,
I missed the Pope saying JC's birthday was miscalculated. I wish I had seen/heard it. If you can send me a link to ANY of 'that, I'd really appreciate it.

The 'understanding" that I heard/read...was that during the very Early days of the 'selling of Christianity', ...'sales' were Not going so well, so 'Someone(perhaps Constantine, or the Early Boss's in Rome) attatched the INVALID 12/25..to the Winter Solstice, which Was a Time of some sort of feast/gift giving !

As Sgt. Joe Friday use to say,......"just the FACTS Ma'am, ..just the FACTS" !!!!!!!!!!!!

No I haven't but I will make a point to visit and comment. The moral case against Wal-Mart is a pretty strong one and I just can't bring myself to shop there. I'm pretty certain that a visit to the site you mentioned will only serve to further convince me.

http://usnews.nbcnew...-employees?lite

Walmart is a place where people of lower income can shop and spend less/save more of their money. Whats wrong with that?

'RDU,
I missed the Pope saying JC's birthday was miscalculated. I wish I had seen/heard it. If you can send me a link to ANY of 'that, I'd really appreciate it.

The 'understanding" that I heard/read...was that during the very Early days of the 'selling of Christianity', ...'sales' were Not going so well, so 'Someone(perhaps Constantine, or the Early Boss's in Rome) attatched the INVALID 12/25..to the Winter Solstice, which Was a Time of some sort of feast/gift giving !

As Sgt. Joe Friday use to say,......"just the FACTS Ma'am, ..just the FACTS" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it really matter what day we celebrate his birth?

Walmart is a place where people of lower income can shop and spend less/save more of their money. Whats wrong with that?

Walmart is also the largest employer in the US and what they pay their employees means that Walmart is about the ONLY place that they can shop. Other companies are using Walmart's "successful" model to get their own pay rates down.

Now, when you factor in the tax breaks that Walmart gets from communities, these same low paid people are paying Walmart's taxes for them. Here's a good case...There is a Walmart in a little town called Roeland Park, KS. There is a super Walmart there. The city currently gets a lot of revenue from the sales taxes at that store.

Walmart is closing that store and moving it to another little town named Mission, Kansas, which is about 1/2 mile from the existing store. One of the enticements to move? Walmart can keep the sales tax for a year or so. Residents in Roeland Park are facing a tax increase to cover the lost revenues from the Walmart...and they'll most likely still shop at the Walmart in Mission, while Mission residents will face a higher tax to subsidize the Walmart.

The new Walmart will be just down the street from a strip mall full of "mom and pop" stores, who have to pay their taxes and are not subsidized at all by the city, which means their costs are slightly higher, and in these days when every penny counts, are at a disadvantage to the megastore that is being subsidized by the city.

Walmart is also the largest employer in the US and what they pay their employees means that Walmart is about the ONLY place that they can shop. Other companies are using Walmart's "successful" model to get their own pay rates down.

Now, when you factor in the tax breaks that Walmart gets from communities, these same low paid people are paying Walmart's taxes for them. Here's a good case...There is a Walmart in a little town called Roeland Park, KS. There is a super Walmart there. The city currently gets a lot of revenue from the sales taxes at that store.

Walmart is closing that store and moving it to another little town named Mission, Kansas, which is about 1/2 mile from the existing store. One of the enticements to move? Walmart can keep the sales tax for a year or so. Residents in Roeland Park are facing a tax increase to cover the lost revenues from the Walmart...and they'll most likely still shop at the Walmart in Mission, while Mission residents will face a higher tax to subsidize the Walmart.

The new Walmart will be just down the street from a strip mall full of "mom and pop" stores, who have to pay their taxes and are not subsidized at all by the city, which means their costs are slightly higher, and in these days when every penny counts, are at a disadvantage to the megastore that is being subsidized by the city.

So you're saying people are not saving money by shopping at Walmart?

So you're saying people are not saving money by shopping at Walmart?
Oh...people are saving money on their Walmart visit...but they aren't saving money when their taxes increase to subsidize the Walmart.
Even people who vowed never to shop at a Walmart are subsidizing them in the form of slightly higher taxes.

In this particular development, there will be multiple stores (Walmart is the anchor). Each of these businesses will be paying "development tax"...except Walmart. Walmart will also get tax breaks not available to the "mom and pop" stores just blocks away from this development. So Walmarts competitors are subjected to taxes that Walmart isn't.

Oh...people are saving money on their Walmart visit...but they aren't saving money when their taxes increase to subsidize the Walmart.
Even people who vowed never to shop at a Walmart are subsidizing them in the form of slightly higher taxes.

In this particular development, there will be multiple stores (Walmart is the anchor). Each of these businesses will be paying "development tax"...except Walmart. Walmart will also get tax breaks not available to the "mom and pop" stores just blocks away from this development. So Walmarts competitors are subjected to taxes that Walmart isn't.

KCF,

If I didn't know any better,...I'd swear I was hearing a line from the movie the GODFATHER.
(WALMART)......"Make them an offer THEY Can't REFUSE" !!

KCF, can you tell if peoples Walmart visit savings is greater or lesser than their increased taxes? I don't believe that Walmart will be operating totyally tax-free forever so there must some method to the madness of the city council of granting some exemptions.