Welcome to the Jungle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKv6RcXa2UI

Wow...when we start putting profits ahead of family time, what's next? Do we put profits ahead of God and go ahead an open up on Christmas and Easter?

How ironic. Seems that not too long ago, people were all up in arms about Chick-Fil-A putting family ahead of profits, closing on Sundays, etc.

How ironic. Seems that not too long ago, people were all up in arms about Chick-Fil-A putting family ahead of profits, closing on Sundays, etc.

Never mind the fact that CFA was donating money to groups that were actively trying to deny equal rights to certain segments of society. I do not recall any protests against puting family ahead of profits or being closed on Sundays.

Way to go ignoring the facts.

Reactions: 2 people
KCF, can you tell if peoples Walmart visit savings is greater or lesser than their increased taxes? I don't believe that Walmart will be operating totyally tax-free forever so there must some method to the madness of the city council of granting some exemptions.

Walmarts typical mode is to move (or threaten to move) when the tax breaks expire. I will tell you this, being a person who will pay MORE somewhere else and not walk into a Walmart the increase in my taxes to subsidize them is something I am not too fond of. Walmart built the store in Roeland Park in 1996 using TIF's. Well...that 20 year span has almost expired, but just down the road is another town willing to extend those breaks. So for 20 years folks in Roeland Park have been subsidizing Walmart and when the day comes for Walmart to start paying some of those taxes...they move.

Reactions: 1 person
Thing is, Wal_mart is not the only company who gets these benefits. As I recall, Jerry Jones received quite a few breaks to build Jerry's world here in Arlington. Even got the city to use eminent domain to confiscate property.

Walmarts typical mode is to move (or threaten to move) when the tax breaks expire. I will tell you this, being a person who will pay MORE somewhere else and not walk into a Walmart the increase in my taxes to subsidize them is something I am not too fond of. Walmart built the store in Roeland Park in 1996 using TIF's. Well...that 20 year span has almost expired, but just down the road is another town willing to extend those breaks. So for 20 years folks in Roeland Park have been subsidizing Walmart and when the day comes for Walmart to start paying some of those taxes...they move.
I understand but I believe that this is not just a one-sided deal. Walmart may be getting a tax break but I would bet they still pay a lot of taxes and people are getting lower prices and people are being employed and surrounding businesses may also benefit.

Didn't people have the same outrage when shopping malls were being built in the suburbs and the downtown areas were being neglected?

And more walmart workers are on medicaid than any other company.

States have passed laws to tax them more, Maryland was the first.

I understand but I believe that this is not just a one-sided deal. Walmart may be getting a tax break but I would bet they still pay a lot of taxes and people are getting lower prices and people are being employed and surrounding businesses may also benefit.

Didn't people have the same outrage when shopping malls were being built in the suburbs and the downtown areas were being neglected?

Its only an issue because AFL-CIO drools over the prospect of all that dues money.

I am paying taxes that Walmart should be paying. I choose not to shop there, but I still have to pay their taxes. Mom and Pop stores are also paying taxes that Walmart isn't paying, so in a way, I am subsidizing the loss of a local business.

I am paying taxes that Walmart should be paying. I choose not to shop there, but I still have to pay their taxes. Mom and Pop stores are also paying taxes that Walmart isn't paying, so in a way, I am subsidizing the loss of a local business.

Must be different or similar in every state. In my state we have eminent domain, empire zones, pilots(payment in lieu of taxes) that pretty much will haunt the taxpayer. In other words you are paying for every business in your area. Don't know why we are only blaming Wal Mart or Target, malls have started opening either at 10 pm Thursday or midnight Friday. Malls will cost you more in taxes than a dozen Wal Marts in your neighborhood!

We've even got businesses that have taken the benefits at the taxpayers expense and never opened.

'RDU,
I missed the Pope saying JC's birthday was miscalculated. I wish I had seen/heard it. If you can send me a link to ANY of 'that, I'd really appreciate it.

The 'understanding" that I heard/read...was that during the very Early days of the 'selling of Christianity', ...'sales' were Not going so well, so 'Someone(perhaps Constantine, or the Early Boss's in Rome) attatched the INVALID 12/25..to the Winter Solstice, which Was a Time of some sort of feast/gift giving !

As Sgt. Joe Friday use to say,......"just the FACTS Ma'am, ..just the FACTS" !!!!!!!!!!!!

The pope is an idiot and most Christians know it. I believe JC was born in summer. The only selling of Christianity a pope did was, I BELIEVE it was pope Gregory who had a brother-in-law that was a fisherman and wasn't selling any fish. Thus the 'no-meat Fridays' that are now limited to Lent. It actually goes against The Bible.

And more walmart workers are on medicaid than any other company.

States have passed laws to tax them more, Maryland was the first.

So you and I should have our wages confiscated to pay for Wal-Mart employees health care? i want to hear this fractured logic, I really do.