West rampers can be fired by phone

If they fire you by phone don't you still have your ID and SIDA ramp access badges? How can they then compel you, a fired worker, to come to bring them back to them?
Are they swipe cards? If that is the way, they can just deactivate them. I hope that it doesn't come to this, if a person has to be fired, have the ba11s to tell it to them face to face. Lack of Responsibility is turning out to be an "Old School" thing, how sad.

This is typical J Glass crap. He would do the same thing to his mother if given the opportunity. There must be a special place in the afterlife for people like him to roast and burn in eternity. Just when you think things can not possibly turn worse, he pops up out of the sewer to take care of business.

Not any more. That decision was reversed by a later National Labor Relations Board decision.

Weingarten Rights currently apply only to workers represented by an NLRA union.

That doesn't have much to do with this thread though. Even if Weingarten Rights applied in the situtaion being discussed here, it sounds as though these phone calls only occur after the decision has been made to terminate someone. Therefore it is not a disciplinary counseling that would trigger Weingarten Rights under the NLRA. After receiving the phone call, the terminated union member remains free to grieve the decision under the collective bargaining agreement's procedures.

Yep, weingarten doesn't apply for non union anymore.

It changes every 6 months or so, but as of now, its not in place. I had an employee want to bring in a witness for a discussion, I allowed it, but let the employee know that under weingarten, I didn't have to. The employee was clearly at fault, I gave her one last chance, and she decided that she was suddenly ill and took all her FMLA and vacation days, then no-showed when she had to return to work, so I was able to terminate her a few months later. She knew the game.

Also, you can't withold a paycheck, but you can debit out the amount owed for properties not returned, but you need to itemize it in the last paycheck.

1st i think it's pretty low that they don't have the balls to say your fired to someones face.

2nd i think it's a security risk if this firing by phone takes off because it will be THAT much harder to compel a fired employee to return their badges , even if the badges are deactivated they can still be used if not copied , not to mention who knows what a fired bitter emoloyee might do with said badge ... When you fire someone face to face you take their badge right then and there , hence no security risk...

Are they swipe cards? If that is the way, they can just deactivate them. I hope that it doesn't come to this, if a person has to be fired, have the ba11s to tell it to them face to face. Lack of Responsibility is turning out to be an "Old School" thing, how sad.

I think the TSA would have a fit that any SIDA badges, deactivated or not, would be on the loose to folks who are not currently employed. I also know that that we had been told that the whole company must be rebadged when a certain (low) percentage of ID badges had been lost or otherwise unaccounted for. Therefore, badges not turned in do cause the company problems.

I find it of interest that the segment of society always preaching (but seldom applying to themselves) 'personal responsibility', cannot muster the stones to take personal responsibility for terminating an employee.

Figures.

Has this actually taken place, or is it just something that could happen? Over my career I have seen many people terminated, and most were done face to face in a meeting. The only ones that may have occured by phone were those who no-showed for work for an extended period where a meeting wasn't possible. From what I recall their final paychecks were held until they retured their parking pass, and ID's to the company and the Airport.

IAM 141 has been notified by a company attorney and Labor Relations that West fleet service employees can be terminated over the telephone as there is no clause in the TWU contract prohibiting such action. A deceitful and gutless way for the company to avoid a meeting with union stewards and prevent representation. :down:

Well this was last night,anyone here what 141's stand is on this.Looks like its a warning,as we all know the company does not threaten people <_< .With the contracts so diverse and unseen by each other,its hard to have mutual protection between the workgroups.But then thats a point in Mr,Glass's favor isnt it.Time for a change. :up:

news flash Why in some way does this seem like retribution for calling OSHA over the tagging of EQUIPTMENT issue not to long ago.Maybe there mad,heaven forbid. :rolleyes: :down: :up:

I think the TSA would have a fit that any SIDA badges, deactivated or not, would be on the loose to folks who are not currently employed. I also know that that we had been told that the whole company must be rebadged when a certain (low) percentage of ID badges had been lost or otherwise unaccounted for. Therefore, badges not turned in do cause the company problems.
And what is stopping some bootlegger from making an immitation card? I understand that the badges need to be returned but my main gripe is that if a person has to be fired, confront them face to face. The only way I would understand a person getting fired by phone is that they are calling off alot.

I find it of interest that the segment of society always preaching (but seldom applying to themselves) 'personal responsibility', cannot muster the stones to take personal responsibility for terminating an employee.

Figures.

Perhaps it is time to recognize that cowards run our company. "Our" company.

Want to change it?

Here is one "writeups are my specialty" pilot who will help. If I am going to to robbed, I'd sooner the thief were someone who needed help than some panty-waisted, white-assed doughy pantload like Glass making over $10 mil per year from our own salaries.

Frankly, I think the guillotine perhaps should make an appearance in Tempe as an answer to management's assertions that the employees should "eat cake". Seems fitting, somehow.

Perhaps it is time to recognize that cowards run our company. "Our" company.

Want to change it?

Here is one "writeups are my specialty" pilot who will help. If I am going to to robbed, I'd sooner the thief were someone who needed help than some panty-waisted, white-assed doughy pantload like Glass making over $10 mil per year from our own salaries.

Frankly, I think the guillotine perhaps should make an appearance in Tempe as an answer to management's assertions that the employees should "eat cake". Seems fitting, somehow.

Welcome aboard :up: :up: :up:

well i have a few ideas this may be happening.
1. Ive heard that in PHX the committe chairs have been rail-roading the supervisors and managers into doing other things than what they were told to do and the employee has another chance. amen to the committee.
2. Also the committee chair has been suspended and almost fired due to his through representation for the employees.
3. I would check into state law on last check payments some state require full payment at the time of termination regaurless of badges and uniforms.
4. Simply dont answer the phone if its a company number. How can the company fire you without a complete investigation especially without the employees own statement.
5. Why is the Union not negotiating in section 6 for the west. I would like the IAm to now reason with the west on their website and state why they wont go into section 6.

Usairways fires first then lets the union sort it out,if fired they will schedule a hearing to try and get em back,but there still fired.Been that way in the east forever. :down: :down: :down:

The company is in violation of the CBA if they discipline a union rep for defending their members.