What now for Piedmont?

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
Now that the TA negotiated between American Airlines, Piedmont Airlines, and Piedmont pilots has served its purpose in pressuring Envoy's pilots to accept their new TA, what should be done with Piedmont Airlines?  While 20 ERJ-145s are suppose to be coming too Piedmont starting in 2016, there isn't any new order for turboprops or regional jets to replace Piedmont's aging fleet of dash-8s.  Why should American continue to bother with Piedmont?

nycbusdriver said:
Piedmont is important, as are each of the wholly-owned regionals, only because their separate existence allows the company to play each one off the other.  Merge them and Jerry Glass would have a hissy fit!

Well, I'll be an actual non-biased factual statement.  How did this slip through?  He gets it people.  It may not be what anyone wants to hear, it may not be what the unions tell you is good for you, and it may not be in your best interests, but it IS what helps the company maintain and/or lower it's cost structure.  Just in case anyone forgot when we all became shareholders last year, this is EXACTLY what the board we elected expects the management team they hired to do.  Increase revenues and reduce expenses at every opportunity.  Bob and I agree on next to nothing, but I'm willing to bet even he will agree with my next statement.  The company and it's officers are NOT here for us, not paid to give a hoot about us, and will NEVER factor us into a decision.  Every decision they make will be what increases revenue and/or reduces cost, every time, because that is what the board hired the management team to do.  I know it hurts to hear we don't count, but those are the cold hard facts of a for profit corporation in the 21'st century.  The sooner we all learn to accept this, the sooner we can decide if this is something we can live with, and then we will all make the decision whether it is still worth it stay based our individual best interests.

We ALL became shareholders last year?  

(Just as an aside, we have all seen from United's experience several years back just how successful employee (pilot) ownership of the airline is.)

But, I do agree that we must understand that the company (at least this management team) does not give a hoot about any employee group, or union.  They are there for the benefit of the stockholders.

However, beating up company STAKEholders is not in the best interest of the stockholder, either.  AA was beginning to learn that lesson with Horton, and somehow thought they dodged a bullet with Parker.  How wrong that is.

nycbusdriver said:
We ALL became shareholders last year?  

Sorry, I forgot it was you I actually was replying to.  I was speaking to the large and vocal collection LAA people on here that still seem to think that somehow there is something we are owed, or that Parker and company will suddenly forget where there loyalties are and just start giving out money because we feel we are owed it.  I was simply, with a mild touch of sarcasm, trying to point out how much happier I became a decade back when I finally realized how it works and then decided if I still wanted to be in this business and why.  I accept that not everyone is going to feel this game is worth it, but right now too many are miserable and making the rest of miserable because they are still here and don't know why.  I'm simply saying this is as good as it gets and it will not change.  Deregulation happened, all the bankruptcies and mergers happened, the middle class went away, and pyramid schemes known as pensions finally blew up in all our faces just like many economists were telling us they would 20 to 26 years ago.  I've simply accepted there is no money to made here and I am not here for the money.  I've long ago seen DB plans for the scam they are and when possible invested, added to my ira/401k, and to a large extent accepted that my generation will never retire, we are working to the day we die.  Luckily I love what I do and chose to stay for doing work I like so I won't have a problem with that.  If I did I would've left, like so many others have, and found my happiness elsewhere.  There is nothing at wrong with being money motivated, for wanting more, but there is something wrong when those are your goals and you knowingly stay where they won't be met and make everyone around you miserable because they aren't met.  Or in other words, welcome to JFK.

JAFA said:
I'm simply saying this is as good as it gets and it will not change.
ALPA –vs- ALPA = larger aircraft at lower pay
Jerry and gang are experts at whipsawing every aspect of labor that is what his group does. He and all his resources are on the property to do just that bring your labor down using the lowest denominator

Reactions: 1 person