What's Really Going On At Phl?

Because that is US Airways Express and when there are no carts and flights have to move, I guess it ends up on the ground.

1. Why can't SUPERVISION schedule people and aircraft correctly so the bags can be loaded/unloaded efficiently?

2. Why isn't SUPERVISION there to make sure workers are performing the correct tasks at the correct time??

See post #5 for your answers.......>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

jcooke said:
I'll take a jumpsuit, size XXL. Kneepads, too.

To the people looking out the windows of the airport and airplanes they simply see a bunch of people sitting around doing nothing while their plane waits for marshalling.

[post="254285"][/post]​

Thank you, JC... this is my point exactly!! Just the perception of a pile of bags sitting on an adjacent gate's tarmack and rampers standing around gives a bad appearance that something is not right. I don't care if it's a 25 degree day or a 75 degree day.

The atmosphere on that aircraft was enough to get us out there doing it. Doing whatever was needed to be done to get that aircraft off the gate. We as flight attendants ARE allowed around the footprint of the aircraft. we do this to take our crew bags down and retrieve them when we land. Its the attitude of who's job is it that divides all in a situation like that. We did it because we were pissed at mgmt. not to do anothers job. Obviously we werent doing anothers job because there "wasnt another". I agree with job protection and not doing others work but that was DEFINATELY an irregular situation. I for the love of my company did it out of my own free will. Also that was BEFORE there was any announcement of job fairs to hire people to work in that damn airport. Those passengers were paying our check on that plane and in the state that this co. is in we need even the $29.00 pax. I felt bad for the girl outside and the old man on his knees with nobody to help. TEAMWORK in a bad situation. There are many accounts of this kind of thing happening. It was VOLUNTEER like the people that handed out cookies and cakes with bad coffee to smooth over the pissed passengers after the "MELTDOWN".

You are only allowed down to get your bags, not work on the ramp, that requires a SIDA badge and driving privileges.

It is someone else's jobs as the scope language in their Collective Bargaining Agreement (You know the legal and binding contract between the Union and the Company) makes it their exclusive right to the work, and if someone filed a grievance it would cost the company money as the contract was violated.

Don't you work under a CBA?
Heck if it is ok for you to violate someone else's CBA, let the company violate yours and see how you feel.

Lets see Al Crelin gets paid a six figure salary and still has his pension, it is his responsibility to ensure enough workers and equipment are in place in order to accommodate the flight schedule.

Now you add a ton of flights into a congested airport, yet you don't add workers or equipment to handle the additional workload it is a disaster waiting to happen.

And by you doing someone else's work, in my eyes it makes you a scab.

Why should you make up for the mistakes of a highly compensated executives who could not plan a party at chuckie cheese?

And what would happen if you herniate a disc while performing work that you should not be doing in the first place?

You need to look at the big picture. Those workers on the ground have the exclusive right to that work, you need to respect that, and while US continues to furlough, your actions could cause someone not to be returning to work.

And why did it take a meltdown to get the company off their rear ends to hire people when every manager at PHL for several years have been complaining to CCY about the lack of help and equipment at PHL?

Winglet said:
1. Why can't SUPERVISION schedule people and aircraft correctly so the bags can be loaded/unloaded efficiently?

2. Why isn't SUPERVISION there to make sure workers are performing the correct tasks at the correct time??
[post="254288"][/post]​

First they need to get on the pilots to get those aircraft in right at the exact time they supposed to come in. Maybe work on Mother Nature too. Aww don't we wish it was a perfect world and it would be so easy then.

crushed said:
I would have to let the "Express" rampers respond to this.
"F" terminal is a whole different airline!
[post="253796"][/post]​

In your eyes, but not the customers

mrman said:
In your eyes, but not the customers
[post="254318"][/post]​

PI/PSA/mainline are under the US Airways Group. Customer perception is anyone with the US/US EX colors are the same entity... even though we FF'ers know that US contracts with other co's like Colgan and Mesa to do some of the routes... and that technically PI/PSA are not mainline in many ways. Still, the colors are the same thus consumer expectations are the same.

In past experience with Consumer Affairs, they will admit that the perception is what counts. If a contracted carrier screws up, US looks bad. Wouldn't that fit the situations we're describing here at Terminal F'ed?

PHL F terminal bag procedures....gathered from observing serveral hours.

1 Plane is marshalled into gate....after waiting 10-15 minutes for appropriate staff

2 Gate checked bags are offloaded and placed on the jetway

3 Local connecting(F terminal bags) are offloaded on the ground for xfer to next gate. Mainline connecting bags are offloaded on the ground (seperate pile) for runners to take to the mainline bag room. A third pile is made for local (baggage claim) bags for pick up by ramp personnel.

The method works, although not bag friendly, if the ramp is staffed correctly. However, the last time I was there, there were only 2 runners to get all of the mainline connecting bags to/from the mainline bag room....a disaster in the making.

Like Piney stated we waited 70 minutes for our connecting bags....would have left earlier, but we were the last flight of the day.

jimcfs said:
PI/PSA/mainline are under the US Airways Group. Customer perception is anyone with the US/US EX colors are the same entity... even though we FF'ers know that US contracts with other co's like Colgan and Mesa to do some of the routes... and that technically PI/PSA are not mainline in many ways. Still, the colors are the same thus consumer expectations are the same.

In past experience with Consumer Affairs, they will admit that the perception is what counts. If a contracted carrier screws up, US looks bad. Wouldn't that fit the situations we're describing here at Terminal F'ed?
[post="254330"][/post]​

My meaning was same as yours, you however stated it much better. In the customers eyes all entities are the same, so if EX screws up it reflect badly on U and if U screws up it looks badly on Ex. In the customers eyes, its the same team. Maybe that is the problem, in the employees/management eyes it's not the same team

mrman said:
In the customers eyes, its the same team. Maybe that is the problem, in the employees/management eyes it's not the same team
[post="254385"][/post]​

I think you have hit it right on the head!! There is no "team" between all of these entities, it's a group of distinct airlines. And if you take it all the way up to management, that's the way it looks at the Board level, too. You have mainline and you have Express... and Express has its parts too. There doesn't appear to be any teamwork here.

Everything seems to be about mainline and Express doesn't get jack, when Express is every bit as important (esp. these days post 9/11) as mainline US. And what about MDA? First they're EX, not they're going to be mainline. Customers are sure going to be confused on that one when they see mainline on the side and no FC. What message is that going to convey?