Why do you want the merge?

luv2fly

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
There has been alot on here about DL employees not wanting the merge, so lets throw this out there.
What is your reason for wanting this to happen?
Is it that you have that much faith in your CEO?
Do you believe there won't be more layoffs or relocations for US employees?
Do you believe this will somehow resolve the labor strife with US/AW?
Do you just believe that this merger would create a powerhouse of an airline?
At the same time, what are your concerns?

There has been alot on here about DL employees not wanting the merge, so lets throw this out there.
This merger will create huge layoffs. For the furloughed it will add anther 3-5 years. Cities will dehubbed and some focus cities will go away. United or Northwest would be a much better choice. This will be the ugly of all mergers and will benefit all the other airlines.

Personally, I want this to happen because it will create the first airline that offers services all the 50 states, has a huge international reach, and will offer travelers one stop shopping when it comes to travel anywhere in the world.

Doug understands the importance of putting together a team of people that can get the job done…I think the front line employees are the one who slow things down. I think if anyone is to blame about things going wrong in the past merger it’s the people who don’t embrace the changes and hold onto grudges and forget their position in the scheme of things.

I believe the company should sell off the Comair division. That would account for reductions in capacity, but my fear is that many of the people “below the wingâ€￾ will be the ones that really get cut.

The shuttle should expand to include Chicago. I also think if this goes forward we can see Charlotte loose the Caribbean and ITD flights to ATL. By moving some of the Caribbean flights to ALT you are able to make the A/C from many of the destinations do more in the day because the flight out and back is shorter in time in to some destinations. I would guess however that the city of CLT will have a fit to loose the international. JFK may also take some of the time from PHL who knows?

My concern is the employees not embracing the changes and willing to grow and become more successful as a company.

Personally, I want this to happen because it will create the first airline that offers services all the 50 states, has a huge international reach, and will offer travelers one stop shopping when it comes to travel anywhere in the world.

Inaugural Service Between Wilmington, Del. and Atlanta Puts Delta on the Map in All 50 States in Time for Fourth of July Travel
http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10283

New flights build on success of more than 50 international routes added in last year as part of largest international expansion in Delta’s history
http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10411

Besides Debt what would DL get out of this?

Personally, I don't want it. Doesn't seem like a good match. Would prefer US to continue on its own path but the powers that be believe otherwise. If I had to pick a partner it would be United, Northwest and American, in that order. Delta, Southwest or Jetblue would be last.

Don't want it.

Dougie is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. He simply drew the short straw on who was going to take a stick and poke it at the DAL hornet's nest to see what would happen.

I doubt they want the whole thing, but, for the right price, who knows?

If it happens, it will be ugly, even on a pretty day.....

If US doesn't do it, someone else will and they will be the stronger competitor with whom US will have to fight. Remember one of the reasons given in the past for low wages was that HP did not have sufficient market muscle or enough high-yielding hubs. Anything that makes US stronger also makes it more able to pay above-market wages.

Shutting your eyes, covering your ears and pretending it will go away is not a strategy.

Unless you're Hillary.

I agree with Andyperkins' response. This merger will be good for us, the problem will be those that stay behind and hold grudges.

While I can understand the loss WE all feel for what "it used to be", it simply is not anymore and we either move forward with the changes or we get left behind. Our new management team has given us something we have never had- a vision and a direction. Never before have we been told where the business was going and what to expect. We have that now. We have to give these guys a chance and not slay them before due time. We have to believe things will get better.

Positive beliefs=positive thoughts=positive actions=positive outcomes

If the merger happens, we will be the strongest, biggest airline around. Job security comes with that along with better wages and benefits.

I agree with Andyperkins' response. This merger will be good for us, the problem will be those that stay behind and hold grudges.

While I can understand the loss WE all feel for what "it used to be", it simply is not anymore and we either move forward with the changes or we get left behind. Our new management team has given us something we have never had- a vision and a direction. Never before have we been told where the business was going and what to expect. We have that now. We have to give these guys a chance and not slay them before due time. We have to believe things will get better.

Positive beliefs=positive thoughts=positive actions=positive outcomes

If the merger happens, we will be the strongest, biggest airline around. Job security comes with that along with better wages and benefits.
I personally love Delta, they have alot of class and I would be all for it. Even though I think NW or UA is a better fit I would rather not see a merger with NW. The one thing that really freaks me out though is the CLT/ATL thing and how the entire Southeast is overlap. I don't want to see anyone lose their job (I think we have seen enough of that) or see anyone get stapled. Union or not they deserve DOH.

As I have stated before, who cares who wants what. Nobody at our level has any control or say in what happens, or how it is handled for that matter. Doug and the BOD along with DL's creditors will handle all of that, and do whatever pleases them. IF I were still fortunate enough to be working, I wouldn't care what Airline's name was on my check as long as I still got one. :huh:

I would love to see the merge or buyout with DL happen. It would be the quickest way to get rid of the iam on the ramp for good. Then we could finally go to a DOH seniority system that would be fair for everyone on the ramp, not just for some as it is now.

This merger will create huge layoffs. For the furloughed it will add anther 3-5 years. Cities will dehubbed and some focus cities will go away. United or Northwest would be a much better choice. This will be the ugly of all mergers and will benefit all the other airlines.

I'm with you. Pollyannas can try to prime the pump of optimism with mere words, as well they may, but this all just seems like too much too soon ( at least if absorbed whole ). Also, too much route/facility duplication = layoffs, no doubt about it.

this too shall pass.........no stress here. we (us and dl) are just the worker bees....no say in the matter so lets just watch whatever happen. just another day in the ever changing airline industry!!

I would love to see the merge or buyout with DL happen. It would be the quickest way to get rid of the iam on the ramp for good. Then we could finally go to a DOH seniority system that would be fair for everyone on the ramp, not just for some as it is now.
As much as I hate to say it, getting rid of any union will not benefit anyone in the event of this merger. Please remember those of us still on furlough who have some small hopes of returing to work someday. Delta has a lot of outsourced ramps, and without anyone TRYING to help us we have no chance at all. I will be the first to say that I am not a big fan of the IAM, but they hold the key to any remote chance that I and many others have or returing to work. ;)

Back