proAMFA

Senior
Sep 28, 2003
Jim Little
Director
TWU
Air Transport Division

Dear Jim,

As it is readily apparent the relationship between the TWU and AA is a very cozy one. Nevertheless as a union organization it is important that the TWU at least appear to behave as a union in order to have some legitimacy in the eyes of the people and the members that believe you have their interests at heart.

Though the TWU obviously does not agree with the method the AMFA represented mechanics and related groups have taken in confronting NWA, still as a union, the TWU should at least understand the struggle the mechanics and related class and craft members at NWA have chosen in taking a stand against the whittling down of their wages, the forcing of drastic concessions, and further outsourcing. We share many of their same concerns as aviation workers. We find ourselves forced to subsidize cheap tickets to the flying public at a time when fuel costs continue to climb to outrageous levels. Most other industries would simply pass the costs on to the consumer.

As a union of men and women standing together for themselves these workers deserve the acknowledgement and respect of the TWU. I find it painful that the organization that I find myself associated with, the TWU, has not made any kind of support statement on their behalf. Jim, don’t support AMFA but do support the working men and women of Northwest who are about to take a stand. Assure these brave men and women that TWU members will not work on any NWA aircraft or service any of their airplanes. Assure these brave men and women that you will encourage the TWU membership not to fly Northwest Airlines if they are being struck. I feel so embarrassed to feel the need to write a union member in a leadership position in order to urge him to take this sort of action. This suggestion should not even have to be brought up Jim, however, I have noticed that the TWU has not acted in any manner concerning this issue. Jim, look at the action of the union for the pilots at UPS. This is an example how a union leader must act.

"The Independent Pilots Association is strongly committed to the principle of solidarity with our fellow transportation industry workers," said IPA President Tom Nicholson. "We will simply set the parking brakes on any UPS plane containing struck goods."

This man understands what it takes to be a true union leader. “What part of union do you not understand?â€￾-This man understands the meaning of unionism! Jim, act like a union leader and issue a press release supporting, not AMFA, but the men and women of Northwest, in their struggle for fairness. Let them know TWU members will not cross picket lines, fly on (including flying NWA to Las Vegas for the TWU 22nd Constitutional Convention), work on, or service Northwest Aircraft during a strike. Jim demonstrate to the membership of the TWU that you are a union leader rather than a company stooge.

Dennis K. Hayes

Don't waste your breath Brother, "HE GOT HIS"! the TWU is nothing more than a due's collection agency, a buissness in bed with the compAAny who does'nt care jack #### about real UNIONISM!

Very well written Dennis!

One would think that Jim (the twu) would take advantage of this opportunity to at least voice support for our fellow AMT"s. Even if its just a little pr chest pounding hoping to gain some respect from potential membership. Its obvious that the twu doesn't want to upset the cart or in any way let the company know that there is even a hint of unionism left in this cast of unelected characters.

Scorpian,

I couldn't agree with your comment more. Surely the TWU could make some sort of painless gesture in an effort to appear to be a union. If not what a joke it really is to use the word union in the same breath as the initials TWU.

Months ago I read an article about a new form of unionism used mostly in Latin American countries. Corporations would find or create an organization that was compliant to their every whim while the "union" quietly accepted dues from the membership it forced itself on every month. Many of its members did not even realize they were unionized. With this kind of compliant union in place it was almost impossible to get a genuine union in the workplace. This company union was nothing more than an insurance policy taken out by the company. The article mentioned Telephone Reservation Agents in Mexico working for an Airline near and dear to us.

I believe, unless proven otherwise, the TWU is more of an insurance policy used to further the interests of other parties rather than the membership who were stripped of the right to select proper representation.

If an election had occurred at the work place and the TWU had won honest legitimacy my opinions would be different. However, the TWU lost all legitamacy when it stole our democratic right to an election away from us.

Regardless, it is up to the TWU to turn me into a misinformed member or a liar. They can do this by demonstrating to myself as well as the membership that they are in fact capable of supporting real unionism in the real world.

C'mon Jim, demonstrate to us that the TWU stands behind the principles of unionism. Urge the membership not to fly NWA, repair or service any NWA jet if the airline workers strike.

The local put out a letter yesterday from the int'l stating we will not touch struck work.

Bagbelt,

I appreciate this information. If I am stuck with the TWU (or they're stuck with me) then I intend to stir them in a pro-union direction. It is my belief we should respect and support workers picketing whether their union is affiliated with the TWU or not.

I look forward to reading the letter you mention and hopefully a letter with Jim's urging the membership to respect and support any pickets we may see in the next few days.

I Equally look forward to reading this letter, It would definately be a step in the right Direction by Jim Little. I would also like to Salute the UPS Pilots for supporting the Mechanics at NWA!

Why not put a letter on the ATD site and act like a genuine labor leader rather than a tool of management. Jim, stand up for the working man and woman.

proAMFA said:
Why not put a letter on the ATD site and act like a genuine labor leader rather than a tool of management. Jim, stand up for the working man and woman.
[post="289555"][/post]​
Enough already pro-AMFA. I'm nowhere near enamored with the TWU, just like you, however, you asked for a letter, you got one. Enough of the soap opera. If the TWU doesn't want to show solidarity on their site, then so be it. Give it a rest. I didn't see Delle-Femine back Kerry in this last election. He took the coward route and left it up to the members to decide for themselves; just like a true coward with no balls would do. I hope your feet are as active as your fingers from posting on this site, because they're going to be needed to walk the picket line. :angry:

Potential Northwest Strike - Friday, August 19, 2005 at 15:47
August 10, 2005

VIA FACSIMILE & US MAIL

TO: All AA Local Officers & Members

RE: Pending Northwest Strike

Dear Brothers & Sisters:

We have been receiving a large amount of calls and emails in regard to the possible strike by the Mechanics at Northwest.

Currently, we service Northwest aircraft at seven stations as an on-call contractor. In the event the Mechanics strike, as Jim Little stated in his May 17, 2005 letter to Mark Rasco, “We would also take the position that we will not do struck work…,â€￾ therefore, we will not service the on-call aircraft or any other Northwest aircraft with TWU represented employees at American Airlines.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the questions and concerns.

Fraternally,

Robert Gless

International Representative

Asst. AA System Coordinator

RG:cjw opeiu-153 afl-cio

C: J. Little

G. Yingst

J. Conley

T. Gillespie

D. Videtich

TWU informer said:
Potential Northwest Strike - Friday, August 19, 2005 at 15:47
August 10, 2005

VIA FACSIMILE & US MAIL

TO: All AA Local Officers & Members

RE: Pending Northwest Strike

Dear Brothers & Sisters:

We have been receiving a large amount of calls and emails in regard to the possible strike by the Mechanics at Northwest.

Currently, we service Northwest aircraft at seven stations as an on-call contractor. In the event the Mechanics strike, as Jim Little stated in his May 17, 2005 letter to Mark Rasco, “We would also take the position that we will not do struck work…,â€￾ therefore, we will not service the on-call aircraft or any other Northwest aircraft with TWU represented employees at American Airlines.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the questions and concerns.

Fraternally,

Robert Gless

International Representative

Asst. AA System Coordinator

RG:cjw opeiu-153 afl-cio

C: J. Little

G. Yingst

J. Conley

T. Gillespie

D. Videtich
[post="289643"][/post]​
Informer thanks for the post.

As a fan of the worker I appreciate any kind of support from the TWU-including tepid support.

Obviously the TWU is more union oriented than the IAM-I will never have any respect for the IAM. As a former member of the IAM I can tell you that I am ashamed of their lack of action. I am especially disappointed in the PFAA at NWA. They will suffer for their cowardly lack of action.

As I said before real unions do not cross picket lines.

See you on the picket line.

Unfortunately when push comes to shove and management tells the workers to do struck work the TWU will say as they always do "obey, then grieve".

Then in two or three years when they finally bring it to arbitration they will say they fought for our rights.

What the IAM and other unions fail to realize is that as they help the company against AMFA that they are destroying their own future. To the non-union worker, the people that the whole labor movement are targeting for recruitment, there is no distinction between an affiliated union and any other union. If AMFA fails at NWA it will be a loss for labor, thats all labor. Non-union workers, seeing the loss for labor at NWA will be less inclined to join ANY union. If unions cant protect aircraft mechanics then why would any other worker feel that a union could protect them?

A few years back when the Teamsters shut down UPS the victory was a shot in the arm for the entire labor movement, not just the Teamsters, losses work the same way. Our fellow unionists in Europe seem to have had a firm grasp on this concept for a long time. As unions in this country put their differences first, even to the point of aligning with the company, unions in Europe assist each other. Thats a big reason why unionism is stronger in Europe than in this country. Unions in Europe are not led by people who think they are businessmen.