AFA Thread 4/13-5/3 All AFA issues discussed here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flightchic and others. I am curious.. If you are sent as an extra fa on 321 trips, etc. and are sent to different hotels, does scheduling always give you all info, and the crew you are meeting, van times, late arriving a/c, etc.? I was on the van in SAN the other day with an East crew, only 3 crew going to the airport, but were on an A321. Never asked them where the other extra was?
We change pilots all the time in the West, and can get very frustrating when you are on a long or short layover, van times vary, or your flight may be late and scheduling does not give us info. Most times don't know who our pilots are until we get to gate!?? :blink: I have had many times where this has happened and the van left without pilots our us fa's! Very frustrating. Does this happen with the extra's on the East? :blink: :down:

Flightchic and others. I am curious.. If you are sent as an extra fa on 321 trips, etc. and are sent to different hotels, does scheduling always give you all info, and the crew you are meeting, van times, late arriving a/c, etc.? I was on the van in SAN the other day with an East crew, only 3 crew going to the airport, but were on an A321. Never asked them where the other extra was?
We change pilots all the time in the West, and can get very frustrating when you are on a long or short layover, van times vary, or your flight may be late and scheduling does not give us info. Most times don't know who our pilots are until we get to gate!?? :blink: I have had many times where this has happened and the van left without pilots our us fa's! Very frustrating. Does this happen with the extra's on the East? :blink: :down:

The extra may be on a short layover, versus a long layover for the base crew. We also have a lot of commuters from the west coast that pick up those trips and go home. As far as being an extra and being left, it has happened to me a few times. I was supposed to ride with a west crew from Tampa last week, and they all got down there early and left without me. I ended up riding with a Delta crew on the next available van. I just don't stress out about it, because I'm always downstairs a few minutes prior to scheduled van time.
As far as letting us know if our flight is running late, I usually check that myself prior to my van. They rarely call to let us know it is late, even in Europe. We went to the airport last month in MAN and our flight wasn't even in range yet, so we were stuck waiting by the ticket counter until they were in range to land. They would not check the crew bags until the plane was landing for some reason.

Our contract didn't "expire" it became "amendable" and we were in contract negotiations for a new contract when the merger was announced. Our Section 6 talks for a new contract were put on hold by a NMB mediator and we are now working exclusively on a merged contract with the east.

Trust me, there are plenty of things we would LOVE to chaos over, but we weren't, and probably will never be released into a 30day cooling off period by the NMB and the company knows this. Hence, the snails pace of our current negotiations.

Cactus,

This is exactly the problem with the AFA's point of view. They look at what they THINK the NMB would do and determine that as fact. The fact is no one really knows what the NMB would do unless they try. If AWA was in Section 6 negotiations prior to the merge and was further put on hold, then it is safe to assume that given the right interpretation of a reasonalbe time period for enhancement of negotiated contracts should and would have taken place by this time. This merger is in it's third year and only a few labor groups have merged contracts.

The company is banking on the fact that AFA wouldn't do anything to jepordize it's present position. This is simply a wait and see attitude that needs to end and end now. The east F/A's have strong concerns to their lengthy contract that is not ammendable till 2011. That said, the west was in negotiattions for the meat of their contract. They also have a beef, and a need.

So where do you go from here? Both the east/west operate under different AFA contracts right, The only agreement that was reached by both sides was a transition agreement which allowed the merger of the airlines certificate. It has nothing to do with the labor contracts of both sides. In my humble opinion, I think AFA needs to step up and start demanding action towards either a joint contract or move to negotiate seperately. Either case, the company needs to know the flight attendant group wants action, not complacency. It's time to S**t or get off the pot.

Just my opinion...

Cactus,

This is exactly the problem with the AFA's point of view. They look at what they THINK the NMB would do and determine that as fact. The fact is no one really knows what the NMB would do unless they try. If AWA was in Section 6 negotiations prior to the merge and was further put on hold, then it is safe to assume that given the right interpretation of a reasonalbe time period for enhancement of negotiated contracts should and would have taken place by this time. This merger is in it's third year and only a few labor groups have merged contracts.

The company is banking on the fact that AFA wouldn't do anything to jepordize it's present position. This is simply a wait and see attitude that needs to end and end now. The east F/A's have strong concerns to their lengthy contract that is not ammendable till 2011. That said, the west was in negotiattions for the meat of their contract. They also have a beef, and a need.

So where do you go from here? Both the east/west operate under different AFA contracts right, The only agreement that was reached by both sides was a transition agreement which allowed the merger of the airlines certificate. It has nothing to do with the labor contracts of both sides. In my humble opinion, I think AFA needs to step up and start demanding action towards either a joint contract or move to negotiate seperately. Either case, the company needs to know the flight attendant group wants action, not complacency. It's time to S**t or get off the pot.

Just my opinion...

OMG! Safety Stud, for once I agree with you! :up:

I have always thought that AWA being in Section 6 and then having it taken away smelled REALLY BAD!

It's not my fight, but if I were an F/A for AWA I would be demanding answers on this one. I have a feeling that it isn't so cut and dried. A reasonable arbitrator would have to recognize bad faith on the company's side 3 years later. Making AWA F/As pay for our lengthy contract is just not right.

Trust me, every East F/A would be behind you guys all the way if you were to begin CHAOS. Someone needs to issue a definitive answer on your side as to why this was allowed to happen and if it is reversible.

You guys need a PIT BULL.

Cactus,

Just my opinion...

Safetystud- wanna come work for council 66? With that post you're definitely a man after my own heart and I could not agree with you more. :wub:
Seriously, we just had an election, we've got new blood taking office July 1st, so we shall see what happens. Of course we could all
be United by then. :lol:

Galleyprincess, I hear you and there are a lot of westies thinking exactly the same thing. My personal opinion is that I sometimes think AFA Int'l gets a little too involved in order to promote their own agenda. In light of all the ALPA stuff, pending merger talk, this is definitely going to one interesting year. Hopefully we'll all have jobs at the end of it.

I have always thought that AWA being in Section 6 and then having it taken away smelled REALLY BAD!

It's not my fight, but if I were an F/A for AWA I would be demanding answers on this one. I have a feeling that it isn't so cut and dried. A reasonable arbitrator would have to recognize bad faith on the company's side 3 years later. Making AWA F/As pay for our lengthy contract is just not right.

Trust me, every East F/A would be behind you guys all the way if you were to begin CHAOS. Someone needs to issue a definitive answer on your side as to why this was allowed to happen and if it is reversible.

You guys need a PIT BULL.

This issue falls at the steps of AFA International...why the AFA attorneys didnt stop this is beyond any comprehension. The excuse of a" merger" is way past overdue and and should not be an accepted argument by the WEST.

The AFA International attorneys MUST approach the Mediation board to lift this mortorium and allow the process of Section 6 to move forward. Bill McGlashen is the International VP (ex MECP of AWA). Though I adore this man, he needs to push this forward to its completion.

There is NEW representation on the WEST, maybe these folks ran because they are fed up with the stalling tactics of their section 6...THE HELL WTH MERGE TALKS, MOVE ON WITH SECTION 6. The east needs to support this endeavor because eventually, it will effect them too!

Cactus,

Just my opinion...

A very good point, and I'm sure that a West MEC that is capable of putting together a communications committe/PR Dept. that rivals AFA Int'l., and that mounted a persuasive campaign to change the AFA merger policy (eventhough they didn't win the vote), is more than capable of moving their own contract negotiating process forward. It really may be in the best interests of ALL of US for one side to start making progress while the company is reporting profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.