American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If these rumors are true about the split, and fleet stays with IAM that means we have been screwed because most likely it will take the 401k match off the table for fleet and we will be stuck with that sorry pension.
I believe this will cost votes because I know many fleet guys and gals who want nothing to do with that pension
And if fleet could get into a C&C union to represent their group (like AMFA does for the mechs) then the membership could vote to get out of the pension, bring in a new and improved 401K with roth IRA options. Once all funds get transferred over from the pension to the new retirement program you would see a much better track record of gains in your retirement accounts AND YOU would have control over it. In/Out, what to invest in, % of investments in each account etc... YOU do not have control of your very own pension.
And BTW, I know some are restricted but can the pension be transferred over to your spouse or family in the event you passed? Not all pensions can, does the IAM pension fund get passed on after your death???

And if fleet could get into a C&C union to represent their group (like AMFA does for the mechs) then the membership could vote to get out of the pension, bring in a new and improved 401K with roth IRA options. Once all funds get transferred over from the pension to the new retirement program you would see a much better track record of gains in your retirement accounts AND YOU would have control over it. In/Out, what to invest in, % of investments in each account etc... YOU do not have control of your very own pension.
And BTW, I know some are restricted but can the pension be transferred over to your spouse or family in the event you passed? Not all pensions can, does the IAM pension fund get passed on after your death???
It depends on what option you choose when you retire. At aa there are numerous options that allow from 0% to 100% percent survivor coverage

Hell, I almost left in 2012 for SWA. Probably would have, if I was 55 at the time. The offer was there. It happens more than you might think.
OK I have quesitons.

First, why did you not go to Southwest? Especially after the bankruptcy (November 29, 2011)? What would possess you to stay with a company that double dipped in the ole concession pool?

What does being 55 have to do with anything?

I really don't think it happens more often than I think....... There is also the fact that you really have no way to track or compile those numbers so your claims are fiction at best.

OK I have quesitons.
What does being 55 have to do with anything?

I really don't think it happens more often than I think....... There is also the fact that you really have no way to track or compile those numbers so your claims are fiction at best.

I left AA at 56 in 2013, took advantage of the early out package, and immediately began receiving pension benefits. I can't count the number of former AA employees that are in Dallas alone. Most left, with 16+ years at AA, without qualifying for the early out package or immediate retirement benefits. It has payed off in spades, especially due to the contract settlement and excellent profit sharing plan.

No matter how you look at the association. It's a big dysfunctional mess no matter which union represents you now or whatever scam they might pull in the future to keep the dues flowing.

Reactions: Duke787
If these rumors are true about the split, and fleet stays with IAM that means we have been screwed because most likely it will take the 401k match off the table for fleet and we will be stuck with that sorry pension.
I believe this will cost votes because I know many fleet guys and gals who want nothing to do with that pension
Its probably a crock and i doubt any TWU would be forced into the pension. New hires???now that will be interesting to see what happens to them

I doubt transferring funds is an option

I left AA at 56 in 2013, took advantage of the early out package, and immediately began receiving pension benefits. I can't count the number of former AA employees that are in Dallas alone. Most left, with 16+ years at AA, without qualifying for the early out package or immediate retirement benefits. It has payed off in spades, especially due to the contract settlement and excellent profit sharing plan.
I dont know you tell me most left probably cause of the concessions etc,opportunity of a buyout the stars lined up correctly.Why now would someone with 10 ,15 years say 40 years old leave AA to start over at SW i understand why you went but now it just doesnt make sense to me .

Saying "it happens more often than you think" and " I can't count the number of former AA employees that are in Dallas alone" does not really give me any concrete information. You have done little to change my mind. From my observation people are so concerned with seniority most are unwilling to start at the bottom again.

I have stated that seniority itself is used as a form of control and I still believe that.

I dont know you tell me most left probably cause of the concessions etc,opportunity of a buyout the stars lined up correctly.Why now would someone with 10 ,15 years say 40 years old leave AA to start over at SW i understand why you went but now it just doesn't make sense to me .
It does not make sense to me either.

That is why I have a hard time accepting their claim of frequency as fact.

In life when something does not make sense it is only ever 2 things. Either you are missing information or someone is saying something untrue. Notice I did not say lying, I simply said untrue, because sometimes people sincerely believe what they are saying even if it is incorrect.

Looks like some of the Negotiating Committee members are flying into DC and may be around for the next round. (at least in the lobby?)

Looks like some of the Negotiating Committee members are flying into DC and may be around for the next round. (at least in the lobby?)
They were hanging in the lobby last week. Its all for show. Dont expect much. Its cheaper paying the bar bill for 12 then the fine from 10,000...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.