AUG/SEPT 2012 IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone thought about webcasting the local meetings orgac ? it's not super expensive ,nor hard to pull off ...
interesting idea freedom... I doubt that it has ever been considered. Members at larger locals may want to introduce the idea as new business at their next local meeting. The local's Communicator would be the coordinator of implementing. Would there be a way to track the number of members viewing?
ograc

Reactions: 1 person
I'll be honest on meeting attendance, at least in my experience. It's a snore inducing event. I can go to my local, listen to the financial report and then listen to all the DL reports, only one of which affects me. The alternative is to just ask a shop steward, find out the exact same information that I would have gotten about my DL, and have that hour of my life back, plus travel time. Because of this I've RARELY attended a meeting. Attendance at LL meeting COULD be important, but until there's important information it's irrelevant for the average member.

Well, if I believed it would make a difference, I would get active again. I don't think things will change and I have no desire to be the breakroom warrior. If telling it like it is, is called whining so be it. I have no political aspiration for myself or anyone else, I'm just tired of the dues going up and getting nothing for it other than not being an employee at will. There's no comparison between a f/a and a fleet service agent. Plane don't fly without the crew but they sure can fly without a fleet guy. Don't build it up like the IAM is a powerfull union cause there not. I read all the propaganda and the website, I'm not as dumb as you make me out to be, but the reality of the situation is US Fleetservice is not a powerhouse like they want to be.

You are in no position to ascertain how strong the IAM is... or how weak or strong any other Union is in relationship to anything! You have repeatedly demonstrated inadequate understanding of the the legalities, regulations, and procedural scheduling regarding negotiations.
In addition, you have continually entered juvenile red herrings into this forum in futile attempts to discredit the IAM. Foolish misspelled statements like the one above only confirms my observations, and I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one that has made reference to this .

The simple fact of the matter is this... you have whined, and whined about every petty gripe imaginable, and refused to acknowledge any advice concerning anything positive... I know your kind, and your agenda!

Further, how does it feel to see a work-group that predominantly dresses in skirts and pantsuits demonstrate more testicular fortitude than you? Like I said... whining on the sidelines will get you no sympathy from me. I'm not going to coddle, and cajole you while you cower anonymously in a dark corner of an online forum!

Maybe Cargo will spend time holding your hand, and reading you bedtime stories...

I'm done with you... period!

Reactions: 2 people
You are in no position to ascertain how strong the IAM is... or how weak or strong any other Union is in relationship to anything! You have repeatedly demonstrated inadequate understanding of the the legalities, regulations, and procedural scheduling regarding negotiations.
In addition, you have continually entered juvenile red herrings into this forum in futile attempts to discredit the IAM. Foolish misspelled statements like the one above only confirms my observations, and I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one that has made reference to this .

The simple fact of the matter is this... you have whined, and whined about every petty gripe imaginable, and refused to acknowledge any advice concerning anything positive... I know your kind, and your agenda!

Further, how does it feel to see a work-group that predominantly dresses in skirts and pantsuits demonstrate more testicular fortitude than you? Like I said... whining on the sidelines will get you no sympathy from me. I'm not going to coddle, and cajole you while you cower anonymously in a dark corner of an online forum!

Maybe Cargo will spend time holding your hand, and reading you bedtime stories...

I'm done with you... period!
Roabilly,
LOL... Believe me brother I feel your frustration. With 32 years and coming from PIT I have been involved with the union in various capacities dating back to Teamster representation. The vast majority of those years as shop steward and Grievance Committee positions. What I have learned in those years is there is roughly 5% of the members who are either actively involved or at least "well educated" with the matters pertaining to union representation, negotiations under the RLA, duties and responsibilities of union leadership and language in the contract governing their own employment. The remaining 95% tend to follow this 5% or bury their heads in the sand. It is always refreshing having dialogue, with one like yourself, who fall within this 5%. Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is I, as a union representative have spent too much time and energy representing (holding the hand) of members who should have known better. I, as a union representative, have been a "sounding board" for every gripe conceivable from our members. Call it what you may... whining, bitching or meritless complaining but it comes from the remaining 95% in most cases. My point is... it would be great if we could improve this sad situation.By the way... and for the record... I don't read bedtime stories to anyone but my kids. And that ended years ago.
ograc

Roabilly,
LOL... Believe me brother I feel your frustration. With 32 years and coming from PIT I have been involved with the union in various capacities dating back to Teamster representation. The vast majority of those years as shop steward and Grievance Committee positions. What I have learned in those years is there is roughly 5% of the members who are either actively involved or at least "well educated" with the matters pertaining to union representation, negotiations under the RLA, duties and responsibilities of union leadership and language in the contract governing their own employment. The remaining 95% tend to follow this 5% or bury their heads in the sand. It is always refreshing having dialogue, with one like yourself, who fall within this 5%. Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is I, as a union representative have spent too much time and energy representing (holding the hand) of members who should have known better. I, as a union representative, have been a "sounding board" for every gripe conceivable from our members. Call it what you may... whining, bitching or meritless complaining but it comes from the remaining 95% in most cases. My point is... it would be great if we could improve this sad situation.By the way... and for the record... I don't read bedtime stories to anyone but my kids. And that ended years ago.
ograc

Sorry Cargo...

I have little... to NO tolerance for weakness in my old age! There is little that can be done with the whiners like Rockit. You could hand them a contract 6 inches thick that contained Industry leading wages, Iron clad scope, seniority and job protection, along with a generous pension, and they would STILL ####.... all the while refusing to learn or get involved!

Sniveling is not a virtue, and It's time for these Idiots to stand-up for themselves, and support their leadership!

Roa--

I hear ya.

That said, there is a big difference between a whiner and a genuine voice of dissatisfaction in the ranks. I'm sure everyone has seen plenty of both over the years. For labor to successfully adapt/succeed, it is absolutely critical that people are able to recognize the difference between the two.

Sorry Cargo...

I have little... to NO tolerance for weakness in my old age! There is little that can be done with the whiners like Rockit. You could hand them a contract 6 inches thick that contained Industry leading wages, Iron clad scope, seniority and job protection, along with a generous pension, and they would STILL ####.... all the while refusing to learn or get involved!

Sniveling is not a virtue, and It's time for these Idiots to stand-up for themselves, and support their leadership!
In my earlier years, when I was under a Teamster contract, I witnessed first hand what you speak of. The contract we were under was industry leading in terms of wages, benefits, working conditions, etc... A representation election was ordered as a result of the merger with Piedmont. Needless to say... the Teamsters were voted out and decertified leading to years of no representation. The ink wasn't dry on the decertification papers... when US slashed many of the benefits we enjoyed. Contrary to the popular belief, that the election tally was the result of a non union vote, predominantly from the Piedmont employees, I beg to differ. When you crunch the numbers... had the Teamster represented cities strongly voted pro Teamster the union would have won the election regardless of a strong non union vote from the Piedmont cities. In summary... many Teamster represented employees, while enjoying the hard fought benefits of a Teamster contract, voted NO to representation. As a result of that election we, as a group were set back so far we are still recovering IMO. I await the day when we start LEARNING FROM PAST MISTAKES. The first corrective action needed: Support your union and the leadership. Give you three guesses who spearheaded and supported the decertification of the Teamsters back then. The second corrective action needed: The group needs to stop following false prophets.
ograc

Roa--

I hear ya.

That said, there is a big difference between a whiner and a genuine voice of dissatisfaction in the ranks. I'm sure everyone has seen plenty of both over the years. For labor to successfully adapt/succeed, it is absolutely critical that people are able to recognize the difference between the two.
Kev3188,
Big difference between the two. The whiner is never satisfied with anything, usually disengaged, not involved and not educated regarding union related issues. A genuine voice of dissatisfaction is one who may not be actively involved but remains educated and well versed regarding union related issues. They raise legitimate questions and concerns and give the union an opportunity to respond. They realize no organization is perfect and remain supportive. You are 100% correct with your assesment for labor to succeed they must realize the difference between the two and give each their due attention. There is always room for improvement. Effective leadership listens.
ograc

Sorry Cargo...

Just telling it like it is, and your too blind to see it. Sorry about the grammar, but that's the least of my worries.

Just telling it like it is, and your too blind to see it. Sorry about the grammar, but that's the least of my worries.
I ask you are you "telling it like it is" or telling it the way you see it? Before one accuses others of being blind they should to take a true assesment of themselves. Do you believe you speak for the majority of your sisters and brothers systemwide? If not, you are presenting your opinion solely. I ask you... who is truly blind brother? Open your eyes and realize who your true adversaries are. They are not your union, the leadership or the Negotiating Committee. I agree there is room for improvement within the IAM and the District but IMO... let's not cut our nose off to spite the face.
ograc

I ask you are you "telling it like it is" or telling it the way you see it? Before one accuses others of being blind they should to take a true assesment of themselves. Do you believe you speak for the majority of your sisters and brothers systemwide? If not, you are presenting your opinion solely. I ask you... who is truly blind brother? Open your eyes and realize who your true adversaries are. They are not your union, the leadership or the Negotiating Committee. I agree there is room for improvement within the IAM and the District but IMO... let's not cut our nose off to spite the face.
ograc
I don't speak for the majority but it's the way I see it at my station. I have talked to others and thier comments are in the same ball park. Your right about the improvement. No, I don't trust the company nor do I wish to be without the union but desire for better representation.

I don't speak for the majority but it's the way I see it at my station. I have talked to others and thier comments are in the same ball park. Your right about the improvement. No, I don't trust the company nor do I wish to be without the union but desire for better representation.
With that being said... may I ask what you and others in your station have done to improve better representation? To improve the quality of representation one needs to get involved, educated and engaged. It's easy to remain disengaged, not committed and critisize those who are trying to do their best. My challenge and plea, to the 95% of the disengaged members is simply this... with your involvement and participation we can build a stronger union and solidarity within our ranks that has been long overdue. The in house fighting erodes solidarity and weakens our bargaining leverage.
ograc

*YES*

IMHO, historically, the IAM has ignored that at it's own (read: the membership's) peril.

I would MUCH rather be looking at how improve my district right now than have gone through a loss of representation, and the uphill climb to get it back.
Agreed and duly noted Brother! Change is needed from both sides if we hope to go forward. Members must get more involved and the union must find ways to be receptive to the members' concerns. Unfortunately, I have not seen movement on either issue the past 4 years from either party. IMO... if this pattern is not broken it will be the demise of the IAM US Fleet representation and the members represented.
ograc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts