Fleet passes new contract

Interesting. I scrolled down through the contract and see that the ending wage rate isnt far off from what the mechanics make right now at UAL and AA.

Im glad the SW ramp guys got something as I know that its a hard ass job on the ramp when its 100 degrees out there. 

I just hate seeing a group get split up so bad.  This thing only passed by .4%.  A very large group will be very unhappy over the next 5 plus years. 

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sorry swamt, but that's the way democracy works.  He who gets the most votes wins.  The people who voted NO can now decide to accept the world as it is (i.e., my side didn't win), or they can choose to be miserable for the next 5 years (yes, that is a personal choice) and gripe and moan about "what should have been."  After 5,000 years of fighting among those Semitic first cousins there should be peace in the Middle East, but there's just not.

The Nays need to ask themselves, "Will the contract change in any way if I choose to be pissed off and miserable about the fact the TA passed?"  "Are the parts of the TA that I don't like--pay rates, work rules, benefits--worth getting an ulcer over?"  Or, "Should  I and the other NOs start working now toward the next negotiations?

Reactions: 1 person
jimntx said:
I'm sorry swamt, but that's the way democracy works.  He who gets the most votes wins.  The people who voted NO can now decide to accept the world as it is (i.e., my side didn't win), or they can choose to be miserable for the next 5 years (yes, that is a personal choice) and gripe and moan about "what should have been."  After 5,000 years of fighting among those Semitic first cousins there should be peace in the Middle East, but there's just not.

The Nays need to ask themselves, "Will the contract change in any way if I choose to be pissed off and miserable about the fact the TA passed?"  "Are the parts of the TA that I don't like--pay rates, work rules, benefits--worth getting an ulcer over?"  Or, "Should  I and the other NOs start working now toward the next negotiations?
Good comment.

jimntx said:

Yes I know it's democratic. But I still hate seeing the division of so many. As someone posted earlier the co got exactly what the co wanted.  They got 50% + .4 which is just as good as 50% + 1 even though the .4 here is a bit larger than the 1 more person vote.

Well, would you still feel the same way if the union had gotten that .4% edge?  That the vote was so close is indicative of how divided the union is.  Use that to work toward more solidarity.  Make sure that everyone knows how dangerous a margin that close can be.  The union is so divided because either the union officers did not do a good job of presenting the pros and cons of the TA or the union members did what most union members do today--turned to the pay rate chart and made their entire vote decision on how much or how little they would make if the TA passed.  As was pointed out by another poster, the senior members nearing retirement could care less about the work rules.  All they want to know is how much will the top of scale people get--particularly if the retirement benefit amount is strongly influenced by final pay rate.  I'm afraid that most all of us are seriously infected with the IGMSU virus.  If the unions were more united internally, the company would not be able to get away with some of their shenanigans, especially during contract negotiations

Reactions: 2 people