Ground Handling News?

They are already reneging on it, IMO. Or if you want to look at it differently, failing to follow through on what they have promised the workers, communities, etc.

Either way erodes what little credibility this mgmt. team has.

For example, why did they renew Aramark's contract in MEM?

Why will ATS continue to work DL flights in PDX, including the NRT & AMS trips?

Why will EWR "only work the bagroom" for their AMS trip?

Why are several cities facing potential layoffs of M/L employees while the outsourced workers continue right along?

Hey Kev. I heard a rumor about that one. (The one where the NW guys will work the bagroom at EWR) but I didn't know if that is true or not. I also thought that you guys handle the KLM flights while the DL guys handle the Air France flights (since they all come into the NW/Delta Gates at B1) or unless I'm missing something since BOTH operations are above and below wing.

Hey Kev. I heard a rumor about that one. (The one where the NW guys will work the bagroom at EWR) but I didn't know if that is true or not. I also thought that you guys handle the KLM flights while the DL guys handle the Air France flights (since they all come into the NW/Delta Gates at B1) or unless I'm missing something since BOTH operations are above and below wing.

That's what local management has told the NW guys there...

What makes it more maddening, is that the NW guys for the most part are already capable of working a '67, since (as you noted) they used to work KL's when they flew the EWR-AMS route.

You are correct about both groups being M/L above & below. I'm not sure if you're missing anything at all...

Just an aside, but by my estimation, a widebody flight is "good" for about 20 jobs...

That's what local management has told the NW guys there...

What makes it more maddening, is that the NW guys for the most part are already capable of working a '67, since (as you noted) they used to work KL's when they flew the EWR-AMS route.

You are correct about both groups being M/L above & below. I'm not sure if you're missing anything at all...

Just an aside, but by my estimation, a widebody flight is "good" for about 20 jobs...

That's weird.....
Loading/Unloading a 767 can't be that much different than doing a 330 (I wouldn't know the difference, since we don't have any 330's, so I don't know the load configuration. But I do know that loading a 76 is very easy. Just like loading a Trip, but turning the cans (LD2) inward (on a 6) instead of outward (on a 777). We use a lot of DQF's (LD8) and FQA pallets to make it easier, but each airline has it's own load plan, but I do know that any experienced ramper can use a can loader and lock down a load. BTW: Don't the 330's handle LD3 (AKE) like a 777?

So who's doing the widebody work? DL? I don't think that they have anyone else (like DGS), because all I see is when I drive past is NW/DL guys doing their respective flights. That's strange, because I know that the merger and integration should be pretty much ready to go since all of their facilities are next to each other.

IMHO: There should not be a loss of jobs between both groups at all, since there is enough flights, but I've been seeing less NW interline bags lately.

That's weird.....
Loading/Unloading a 767 can't be that much different than doing a 330 (I wouldn't know the difference, since we don't have any 330's, so I don't know the load configuration. But I do know that loading a 76 is very easy. Just like loading a Trip, but turning the cans (LD2) inward (on a 6) instead of outward (on a 777). We use a lot of DQF's (LD8) and FQA pallets to make it easier, but each airline has it's own load plan, but I do know that any experienced ramper can use a can loader and lock down a load. BTW: Don't the 330's handle LD3 (AKE) like a 777?

The A330 is amazingly easy to work/load. It takes LD3's, as well as 88 & 96" pallets.

So who's doing the widebody work? DL?

That's my guess.

I don't think that they have anyone else (like DGS), because all I see is when I drive past is NW/DL guys doing their respective flights. That's strange, because I know that the merger and integration should be pretty much ready to go since all of their facilities are next to each other.

I don;t know the specific date(s), but I imagine the consolidation of facilities is coming soon.

IMHO: There should not be a loss of jobs between both groups at all, since there is enough flights...

You'd think that, since that's about all DL management has been telling us, but the reality is quite different, especially at cities where DL's ramp is outsourced.

...And before one of the usual DL apologists chimes in, there is NOTHING in any CBA at NW preventing the workforce from picking up the DL work currently handled by DGS, Comair, or any other 3rd party.

It was announced 9E will be out of GSO as of 4/20, no word yet on who won the contract. Supposedly it's between DGS and a unknown third party.

I have heard it's World Flight and there bid was crazy low. DGS in that station is trying to rebid but I am not sure if they will get it. They will find out next week sometime.

I have heard it's World Flight and there bid was crazy low. DGS in that station is trying to rebid but I am not sure if they will get it. They will find out next week sometime.

That would be a huge surprise, I believe WFS only handles cargo after losing the AA contract sometime in 2006 or 07. I figured it would be between DGS and Jetstream, I guess Jetstream has damaged enough US aircraft.

That would be a huge surprise, I believe WFS only handles cargo after losing the AA contract sometime in 2006 or 07. I figured it would be between DGS and Jetstream, I guess Jetstream has damaged enough US aircraft.
Fdex727, you're on top of it..the announcement came out Friday I believe. I thought GSO was decided long ago. Any why in the world was 9E specifically told they would not get it...were they that far off compared to the other vendors? There are still Phase I cities that are waiting to hear their fate...that's after Phase II and now Phase III cities are being announced..strange. People are living on the edge wondering what's going to happen.

The A330 is amazingly easy to work/load. It takes LD3's, as well as 88 & 96" pallets.

That's my guess.

I don;t know the specific date(s), but I imagine the consolidation of facilities is coming soon.

You'd think that, since that's about all DL management has been telling us, but the reality is quite different, especially at cities where DL's ramp is outsourced.

...And before one of the usual DL apologists chimes in, there is NOTHING in any CBA at NW preventing the workforce from picking up the DL work currently handled by DGS, Comair, or any other 3rd party.

I think I figured out the reason why that NW is only in the bagroom during the EWR-AMS flight. They are sending the newly painted 330's in DL colors to EWR, and the Delta crews must be doing the work. I was just driving past today and I seen one of the birds leaving the NW side of B1. (Nice looking aircraft, BTW.) Nice to see the "Widget" pointing in the "Northwest" direction.
I took a pic of it on my cell while I was driving. Anyway, I noticed on the plane's registry number, it has the NW on the end of the numbers. Will that be common among the new fleet? Also, (for Dignity: Is NW inflight working those flights, or the DL crews working these flights since these are aircraft painted in DL colors?)

I think I figured out the reason why that NW is only in the bagroom during the EWR-AMS flight. They are sending the newly painted 330's in DL colors to EWR, and the Delta crews must be doing the work.

Actually, all mainline (and Compass) NW A/C are still worked by NWA crews, regardless of paint scheme. The 330 would fall into this category.

I think I figured out the reason why that NW is only in the bagroom during the EWR-AMS flight.
I believe the EWR-AMS.. the aircraft will be substituted with a 767 aircraft in June..

(for Dignity: Is NW inflight working those flights, or the DL crews working these flights since these are aircraft painted in DL colors?)
all pre-merger NW aircraft are staffed exclusively with NW Pursers, Flight Attendants and LOD on NW DC-9s Airbus A330s, A320s and A319s, Boeing 747s and 757s even if they are in DAL colors at this time.

Actually, all mainline (and Compass) NW A/C are still worked by NWA crews, regardless of paint scheme. The 330 would fall into this category.

so when this flight switches to the Delta 767, will the pre-merger Delta ground
crew work this flight?
Also in ATL/JFK, will the pre-merger NW ground crews work the NW equipment when
they switch to flying Delta trans Atlantic flights?

RHS was formed "to service above and below wing handling at small to midsize airports and to provide 3rd party handling to other airlines"

DGS "will typically provide ramp service to mainline cities"
You guys better wake up and smell the coffee…
Sounds like the merged airline will miss mainline ground handling along with a lot of small and midsize inside customer service agents. I guess time will tell. Either you negotiate or not. TODAY TOMORROW ARE THE FUTURE